pull ups (Read 1056 times)

I started weight training in August and realised that I had the weakest upper body in the whole world. My first pullups on the assist machine were assisted by 80lbs - almost 60% of my bodyweight at the time. Yesterday I finally managed my first unassisted pullup. In fact I managed 2 Smile

My legs are killing me

Good job Mandy! Keep it up and you'll be knocking them out like a machine gun.

The Greatest of All Time

Good job...be careful though you might grow some guns! But then on some women they're pretty hot!
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          Mandy that's awesome. When you put your mind to something, you really see it through. WTG!

You'll ruin your knees!

Ha! When I read your subject line, I thought maybe these guys... had crossed over and developed a new product for runners! Anyway, WOOT! Way to go Mandy! If I can't BE strong, at least I try to SMELL strong! Lynn

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Good job Mandy! I remember well the feeling of accomplishment when I could manage 1 pullup. If you're really looking to increase your pullup numbers, google the Armstrong Pullup program. You probably need to be able to do 3-4 before it will be doable, but after that, they can go up pretty quickly. Awesome job!
              Brandon
                Sweet job MandyS! It really is a hard thing for many people. And it takes determination and daily (or every other day) practice. I do them after every run and it is very satisfying to see an improvement. I run and do pull ups throughout the winter months to keep in shape for competing in waterskiing. Way to go!
                  Ha! When I read your subject line, I thought maybe these guys... had crossed over and developed a new product for runners! Anyway, WOOT! Way to go Mandy! If I can't BE strong, at least I try to SMELL strong! Lynn
                  Lynn- I thought she was talking about the same thing. Good job Mandy. BTW- I think I am the one with the least upper body strength. I am not even sure I can do a pull up.
                  http://distance-runner.blogspot.com

Dog-Love

No...Alan...I can't either. But I should give it the old heave ho today and just see. WTG Mandy...you NZ rock star!
                    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                      oh dear not those sort of pullups! i think i grew out of them a long time ago!!! thanks all - and thanks for the suggestion noteye. i can only do them when i'm at the gym so a daily program is a bit too much. i'll use those principles though.

Another Passion

That's awesome Mandy! I remember when I was weight training a few years ago and could barely do one (non-arse-covering, poo & pee pee catchin') pullup. As I got into it I was able to do 10. Sigh... I should get back at that, our fire department has a well-stocked training room available for free that I used to take advantage of. Well done though! Sherry's right... you're becoming a NZ Rockstar! Big grin

Rick
                        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

A Saucy Wench

woohoo...that is my ultimate goal. I still use an embarrassing amount of assist

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

shonan marathon, girl

I think I will start weight training again. Yeah, most women don't have much upper body strength. I realized the other day at a yoga class that I had more strength than most of the other women. Probably because of the swimming I do. I remember when I was a kid they had us do these strength tests. They had us get in a pull up position on a bar and time how long we could hold ourselves up. I was always pretty good at it because I was such a shrimp in size compared to the other kids. To be honest, it was hell being so tiny and skinny as a kid. Good for you Mandy. I think you must be one really strong & tough girl! Show us your arm muscles sometime.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!