Headlamp Poll (Read 159 times)

MIRich

I've done some research and based on the headlamps that I've reviewed, the list has been narrowed to 4 with an additional  noteworthy #5. Here is some background of my running and the need for a headlamp. I typically begin my daily morning run at 4am each day, and on days that I also run in the evening, I typically begin my run around 5pm. This time of year, it's dark in the morning, and dusk when I start the evening run, and dark by the time I finish. I normally run wooded sections of trails along with somewhat lighted city streets. I am also planning on running a couple of night races next year.

Details of the headlamp that I currently use:

Brand: Energizer
    Model: Genuine Trailfinder Micro Sport Headlamp (was discounted 50% off at the time and included a blinking red tail lamp)
    Weight: 3.5oz
    Battery: 2AAA
    Replaceable: YES
    Alternative Batteries: N/A
    Battery Life Min-Max:9h, 3.5h
    Lumens Low-High: 18, 37
    Meters Min-Max: N/A

Headlamps Reviewed:

Brand: Petzl
    Model: NAO
    Weight: 187g (6.60oz)
    Battery: 2600 mAhLithium-ion Rechargeable battery
    Alternative Batteries: 2 AAA/LR03
    Battery Life Max-Min: Reactive 12.5h, 6.5h, Constant 8h, 1.5h
    Lumens Low-High: Reactive 7-290, 7-575, Constant 120, 430
    Meters Min-Max: Reactive 2-80, 2-135, Constant 60, 130

Brand: Petzl
    Model:Tikka RXP
    Weight: 115g (4.06oz)
    Battery: 118 mAh Lithium-ion Rechargeable battery
    Alternative Batteries: 3 AAA alkaline, Lithium, Ni-MH battery pack (Sold Separate)
    Battery Life Max-Min: Reactive 10h, 5h, 2.5h, Constant 10h, 5h, 2.5h
    Lumens Low-High: Reactive 7-80, 7-160, 7-215, Constant 45, 100, 150
    Meters Min-Max: Reactive 2-70, 2-90, 2-110, Constant 25, 75, 100

Brand: Black Diamond
    Model: Sprinter
    Weight: 3.7oz
    Battery: Rechargeable Lithium Polymer
    Replaceable: Under Warranty Only
    Alternative Batteries: NO
    Battery Life Max-Min: 6h, 42h
    Lumens Low-High: 4, 75
    Meters Min-Max: 7, 30

Brand: Princeton Tec
    Model: Vizz
    Weight: 92g (3.25oz)
    Battery: 3AAA
    Alternative Batteries: N/A
    Battery Life Max-Min: 160h, 110h,
    Lumens Low-High: ?, 165
    Meters Min-Max: 39, 90

Other noteworthy mention:

Fenix HP15

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-hp15-expedition-headlamp-yellow/

I'm looking forward to hearing pros and cons of each lamp mentioned, in addition to others that some of you may be using that may fit my needs better. Thank you!

The Phoenix has risen! Recovered from my injury, and kickin' serious asphalt once again!

an amazing likeness

So you need a headlight for an daily run of about an hour or so most days, sometimes longer.

Totally standard daily stuff.

Pick one.

Whatever is most comfortable for your price/performance/features.

Any one will do.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

joescott

My headlamp is a fairly cheap-o one that I think I just picked up at Wal-Mart for as little money as I could spend.  I have no idea what brand it is.  Works fine.  Probably not the most power optimized product in the world because it goes through triple A's fairly quickly, but I buy those in bulk at Costco, and for that matter I'm not sure a more fancy expensive one would do any better in that regard.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

MIRich

My headlamp is a fairly cheap-o one that I think I just picked up at Wal-Mart for as little money as I could spend.  I have no idea what brand it is.  Works fine.  Probably not the most power optimized product in the world because it goes through triple A's fairly quickly, but I buy those in bulk at Costco, and for that matter I'm not sure a more fancy expensive one would do any better in that regard.

I currently have a cheap-o Wal-Mart light, but 37 lum just isn't enough for trail running. I use rechargeable AAA's so I can rotate them out with fresh one's ever other run and not worry about batteries going dead and that has saved me quite a bit on purchasing batteries over time. None of the stores in my area sell the lights mentioned above, and just looking to get some feedback before making an online purchase.

The Phoenix has risen! Recovered from my injury, and kickin' serious asphalt once again!

I've had a black diamond brand for quite a few years. Works great, is light on the head, doesn't bounce around, and the light is bright.The rechargable battery is a bonus!

delicate flower

I have the expensive ($100) Black Diamond Icon.  It's got 200 lumens of blinding goodness that is total overkill for my needs, and for that I love it.

<3

Julia1971

What don't you like about the Energizer?  I think the answer is the brightness.  In that case, the Tikka might not be the best option.

I have the Tikka so that's the one I voted for.  In general, I would recommend finding a good combination of battery life and weight.  For me, I think those have been the two most important specs.  I run in an urban area so I don't need a really bright light.  I mostly just like having some extra light on the ground and being more visible to cars/cyclists.  I usually run late enough in the morning that when I do wear it, I only need to use it for an hour or so but I still feel like the batteries die on me every other week.  If you're running mostly in darkness, you might find you're going through them even faster.  Edited to add: And on the weight, even though it fits snug, I think I would find anything heavier than the Tikka annoying.

MIRich

What don't you like about the Energizer?  I think the answer is the brightness.  In that case, the Tikka might not be the best option.

I have the Tikka so that's the one I voted for.  In general, I would recommend finding a good combination of battery life and weight.  For me, I think those have been the two most important specs.  I run in an urban area so I don't need a really bright light.  I mostly just like having some extra light on the ground and being more visible to cars/cyclists.  I usually run late enough in the morning that when I do wear it, I only need to use it for an hour or so but I still feel like the batteries die on me every other week.  If you're running mostly in darkness, you might find you're going through them even faster.  Edited to add: And on the weight, even though it fits snug, I think I would find anything heavier than the Tikka annoying.

Here's a link to the light that I currently have, and yes its the brightness that's the main reason. I really like the weight of the lamp, just wish the lumens were higher.  I'll likely add the tail light to whichever headlamp I end up going with. Wal-Mart was discounting them at 50% and we bought the last 2 pairs. They were a great buy at the time.

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Micro-Sport-Headlamp-Blue/dp/B00AHP0NZU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1417029932&sr=8-10&keywords=energizer+headlamp+with+red+light&pebp=1417029940710

My guess is that the NAO 2 is going to be too heavy, since it's nearly twice the weight of the Energizer, but I don't have a store locally that sells them to be able to test it. I like everything about the Tikka RXP that I've read so far. Does the battery life and brightness hold up to what is specified by Petzl?

I use BD Spot and Storm with lithium batteries. Don't remember the specs, but they work reasonably well on trails - obviously better with snow cover, which is what a lot of my dark running is.

Lithium batteries have have much greater shelf life and work much better than other batteries in the cold. These are primary batteries, not the rechargeable lithium ion.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                    Julia1971

Here's a link to the light that I currently have, and yes its the brightness that's the main reason. I really like the weight of the lamp, just wish the lumens were higher.  I'll likely add the tail light to whichever headlamp I end up going with. Wal-Mart was discounting them at 50% and we bought the last 2 pairs. They were a great buy at the time.

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Micro-Sport-Headlamp-Blue/dp/B00AHP0NZU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1417029932&sr=8-10&keywords=energizer+headlamp+with+red+light&pebp=1417029940710

My guess is that the NAO 2 is going to be too heavy, since it's nearly twice the weight of the Energizer, but I don't have a store locally that sells them to be able to test it. I like everything about the Tikka RXP that I've read so far. Does the battery life and brightness hold up to what is specified by Petzl?

I would say the battery life is correct.  When, I'm marathon training, I probably wear it 2 or 3 times/week for at least an hour (sometimes, I forget to turn it off even when the sun comes up), so, that does square with feeling like I'm changing them out every other week.  That would be 8 hours or so.  (I only use it on the brightest setting).

I have noticed the brightness dims as the batteries get weaker, though.  But, that could be common.

jpdeaux

Not a headlamp, but... Knuckelights have been a welcome change; $33/pair ($40 undiscounted), 45 lumens each, require 2 AAAs each.

On the plus side, they are NOT headlamps; they sit on the forward side of your fists. The two beams move as you run, but keep some constant light ahead and avoid the bouncing of some headlamps. The illumination movement is less than you might imagine with swinging arms. They angle naturally downward and have adjustable silicone straps. I'm wary of tearing the strap eventually though. I've tried with and without gloves and they fit well so far. In a race the first time I used them, the runner next to me thanked me for lighting the way for both of us with them.

Another convenient benefit is it's easy to quickly point one to the side or backward when you want cars to see you crossing streets. You don't have to move your head to point your light at a driver. Conversely, they're easy to point down as a courtesy to oncoming runners.

A minor quibble with these lights (and others) is having to cycle through all three ON modes (bright, dim, blinking) before they'll go off.

And if you carry a water bottle strapped to your hand, this might not work well. (Also watch out you don't blind yourself when you reach over to start or stop your watch.)

They're a little pricey, but a welcome alternative to headlamps. I've ditched the headlamp for now.

A side note: I first tried to find these at REI with no luck. The guy who helped me look for them turned out to be the REI district sales manager for the Northeast. When I described them, he looked them up on his phone right then and there, thought they were a great item, and started emailing around to stock them. If you find them at REI, yeah, that was me. True story.

HermosaBoy

Got a Coleman that I bought at Target for < $10.  It does the job for me.  Smile

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

MIRich

Thanks to everyone who replied and offered some great suggestions on headlamps. I stopped at Menards yesterday evening on my way home from work, looking for something else, and found a headlamp and flashlight combo set on sale for $10.

Promier LED headlamp:

Lumens Low-High: 60, 120

Meters: 27, 57

Battery Hours: 16h, 8h

Also has a red, and red flashing feature.

Set out on a run this morning and very impressed by the quality of the light on both low and high settings as well as the weight of the light.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Fenix HP15

~$70

4AA

I have the optional cable cord to take the battery pack off the headband. Left cord at home for 24 hour race. Ran with the headlamp for 12.5 hours with no problem. Batteries lasted for 2:45 minutes on setting 3 of 4 for most of the race.Manual said 3 hours on 4 for battery life. Used it for 10 hours on a trail race on full power. Worth every cent a spent!!!!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

tomatolover

I've got super shitty night vision and pretty much run in the dark all winter ...I have a head lamp and nuckle lights, neither or which I love, but just received An early Xmas gift from my dude who doesn't want me to kill myself running in the cold... It's a running vest win enough light to illuminate a small room....it's kinda heavy and feels like someone's shark tank project but it works like a charm...mi don't need a headlamp,or nuckle lights any longer...I'm  a freaking wall of light.  Pricey, but that's what santas are for.

http://www.ledlightvest.com