Public path etiquette (Read 1614 times)

I live in a big city (Brisbane, Australia) where this a huge section of public pedestrian path extending for miles which is used by runners,

bikers, etc. It is beautiful for running on, but is incredibly busy at all times of the day, and even worse, tends to be frequented by folks who

are in a big hurry and are often inconsiderate of others using the path. I can't tell you how many times I have been yelled at by bikers, in particular, even when I am running on the correct side of the path and obeying the rules of the road. Yelling insults from the safety of a bicycle whizzing by and which will be gone in seconds strikes me as cowardish. Is there a certain code of ethics for how to deal with folks who are just being idiots? 

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

Queen of 3rd Place

When I'm in a hurry riding (commuting), I stick to the street and stay away from the multi-use path. That's just me.

On our local multi-use path, there are signs asking cyclists to slow down in the congested area. Mostly it works, perhaps you can encourage your local park administrator to install some cautionary signs. However, I was once yelled at by a cyclist right next to one of those signs. *shrug*

Ex runner

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

When I'm in a hurry riding (commuting), I stick to the street and stay away from the multi-use path. That's just me.

Ditto...if I want to go fast on my bike I avoid the MUP.  Most cyclists in this area avoid it, since the quietest section of ours is also in disrepair and really miserable on a road bike.

David_, I'm not sure what advice to give.  It's unfortunate when jerks take over trails like this.  A week or so ago I was buzzed by a couple of middle-aged cyclists who weren't even very fast, but cut way too close to me and gave me no heads-up that they were behind me.  It really pissed me off, since I ride more than I run and I am never so rude to runners/pedestrians on the path.  I've been in both situations and I think makes me extra annoyed when the 2-wheeled set act like jackasses...since it reflects poorly on me when I ride my bike, even if I follow the rules of the road and path to the letter and am considerate to a fault.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

I live in a big city (Brisbane, Australia) where this a huge section of public pedestrian path extending for miles which is used by runners,

bikers, etc. It is beautiful for running on, but is incredibly busy at all times of the day, and even worse, tends to be frequented by folks who

are in a big hurry and are often inconsiderate of others using the path. I can't tell you how many times I have been yelled at by bikers, in particular, even when I am running on the correct side of the path and obeying the rules of the road. Yelling insults from the safety of a bicycle whizzing by and which will be gone in seconds strikes me as cowardish. Is there a certain code of ethics for how to deal with folks who are just being idiots? 

Stick.  Spokes.  Road rash.  Wink

It's frustrating but getting in a yelling match is most likely to just make you both look immature.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

The other day I was buzzed by a cyclist, close and no on you left from him, when he came back my way I just got in the middle of the trail kept running and just stare at him and made him move, not saying that was smart but just the way I am and to old to changeWink

Turning back the clock one mile at a time

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

A few nights ago I found two college kids on bikes barreling down on me while I was running a path with no street nights.  They were wearing all dark clothes and not making a sound.  I didn't notice they were there until they were about two feet in front of me.  I think the only thing that saved me was my blinking running diode.

I like Spaniel's suggestion, but they were too quick even for that.

Stick.  Spokes.  Road rash.  Wink

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

dennrunner

are in a big hurry and are often inconsiderate of others using the path. I can't tell you how many times I have been yelled at by bikers, in particular, even when I am running on the correct side of the path and obeying the rules of the roadYelling insults from the safety of a bicycle whizzing by and which will be gone in seconds strikes me as cowardish. Is there a certain code of ethics for how to deal with folks who are just being idiots? 

I'm a bit unclear on what the issue is.  Are they passing you too fast? Too close? Not calling out? What are they yelling? Why are they yelling?  Do they simply not want any other people on the path? Surely they have a reason for yelling insults. They must think you're "in the wrong" for some reason.  Do you have any ideas?  Do you wear a running shirt that says YELL AT ME PLEASE?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I always recommend carrying some sort of long stick held horizontally out to both sides when bicycles approach -- I believe this behavior is correlated to not getting buzzed as closely.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I'm a bit unclear on what the issue is.  Are they passing you too fast? Too close? Not calling out? What are they yelling? Why are they yelling?  Do they simply not want any other people on the path? Surely they have a reason for yelling insults. They must think you're "in the wrong" for some reason.  Do you have any ideas?  Do you wear a running shirt that says YELL AT ME PLEASE?

Passing very fast, very close, and not calling out "biker", which is the preferred behavior. Usually they will yell and curse angrily, something like "Get off the path!" or "F*ck, mate!" angrily, even when I am running on the left, as instructed by (numerous) signs....yadda yadda... 

...whatever. Runners gonna run, bikers gonna bike, and haters gonna hate. 

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

Julia1971

I run with earphones so I don't hear their yelling.  Smile  Problem solved.

I've made my peace with bikers.  Militant bikers who push for more trails and safety improvements make my life as a runner better.  I figure the irresponsible ones eventually get taught a lesson by our mutual enemy: cars.

Australia can be a little bit more road-rage-ish than the US, over here I find that people are less rude the more frequently you see them, eventually I even get a hello from people on the 20th day they pass me (all but the ellusive Mr Sandle wearer).  I find it's the rookie riders that are the rudest, those a little fitter looking with biking clothes on tend to have better manners, perhaps the others are just clueless about ettiquette.  I do enjoy muttering 'f wit' under my breath, although agree it is immature.  I make sure I'm courteous and keeping to my side, figuring if enough people do it the right way, courtesy will spread and the morons will learn to play nicely. 

There's a new traffic light at a four way crossing at the only interesection I have to cross and every day I say 'Thank you Jesus' out loud as every day it seems I have a near death experience with people confused about the red light green light concept. 

Feeling the growl again

Passing very fast, very close, and not calling out "biker", which is the preferred behavior. Usually they will yell and curse angrily, something like "Get off the path!" or "F*ck, mate!" angrily, even when I am running on the left, as instructed by (numerous) signs....yadda yadda... 

...whatever. Runners gonna run, bikers gonna bike, and haters gonna hate. 

So you are running on the left, as indicated by signs, and are the bikes riding on the right?  So you are going opposite directions on the same side of the path?

Perhaps they are simply ignorant of the path rules.  Over here it is normal that bikes ride on the same side as cars on the road (right) with pedestrians on the opposite (left) so that runners are running into wheeled traffic.  However, I know of paths (ie no cars) which use both arrangements (all traffic in one direction on the same side, and bikes/pedestrians traveling into each other).

Personally I prefer cyclists on my side of the road/path traveling towards me just as on the road....so I can at least react appropriately if they are being an idiot rather than being plowed into from behind.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Recumbant cyclists and rollerbladers seem to be the ones I have a problem with while I'm riding the shared use trails in my area. Rollerbladers take up the whole *ing path and nearly always have music playing and earphones going full tilt. You can never get there attention and are oblivious to anything happening around them.

While I'm riding, I usually give out a whistle first to get other users attention, then give them an "On Your Left" before going around them. It seems if I don't whistle first, they don't hear me and when they finally do, as I'm nearing them by now, they look over their right shoulder and swerve to the left, right where I'm heading.

If I know the trail is going to busy, I take the roads and stay off the trails. I keep having nasty thoughts of the little four year old with no helmet, recently removed training wheels and unattentive parents vearing into my path and becoming a speed bump for my 200 pound body everytime I see a family cycling with little kids on the trails.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

My favorite are dogs on stretchy-band leashes sniffing the grass on the right-hand side while their owner is absentmindedly chatting on a cellphone while hugging the left-hand side of the path.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My favorite are dogs on stretchy-band leashes sniffing the grass on the right-hand side while their owner is absentmindedly chatting on a cellphone while hugging the left-hand side of the path.

They ought to be a good control on those bicyclists who come tearing through.