yet another newbie (Read 549 times)

luvrunning

slorunner

Hi everyone. I've been lurking in the background of this forum for some time now, reading all the threads, and finally decided it was time to introduce myself. I started running 2 years ago when I turned 50 and retired. I needed something to be passionate about; I had three interests to choose from-I could either take French lessons, learn to play the piano, or start running. I took up running even though learning French was actually my first choice because I didn't need to find an instructor to start running. I just needed to get my lazy butt out of bed, get dressed, and head out the door. So that is what I did. And like lots of beginners it was painful and ugly. That's why I ran so early in the morning-so noone would see me! so anyway, it turns out that I really love running. It's still ugly, I'm not a graceful runner, and I'm really slow, but I don't care. I really enjoy it. Last year I completed my first half marathon, and got third in my age group, which isn't as great as it sounds since I also came in dead last, but that's another story for another post! Anyway, here I am. I think about those Frence lessons sometimes on my long runs. Private Frence lessons. With a really attractive young Frenchman with a Parisian accent. Funny what you think about on long runs...

Into the wild

Bonjour ma cherie, bienvenue Big grin

Shut up and run

Welcome and congrats on your retirement - at 50! Whoo hoo! Will you be my role model? Please? I started running about two years ago as well. Still really slow, still need to lose more weight, etc., etc. Already play piano, but the French lessons (and the tutor) sound like fun. And, hey, if you've run a half marathon, you've accomplished something you should really be proud of. Smile Please feel free to drop by the Masters Forum. You'll find it under User Groups. There's a daily thread that I still find kind of intimidating in terms of the mileage and pace of most of the posters, but they're all really nice and usually pretty funny, too. There's also a weekly-or-so thread titled something like "Weekly Boomer/Masters Newbies" where a small group of us mere mortal over-40 runners hang out. Check it out! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Wow, a half marathon! I'm right behind you. I started running less than a year ago and am working at the 5K level. I'm looking for a 10K this summer, and hopefully a half marathon before I turn 50 in 2009. You are an inspiration.
            Welcome!!!

Now that was a bath...

Woof. And welcome too.
            • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
            • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.