What will it take to run a 2 hour marathon? (Read 147 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It's a kind of cool, live infographic; I could have posted it in the infographics thread, but yeah, it's about racing.

http://rw.runnersworld.com/sub-2/

An earlier take on the subject, also from Runner's World:

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/why-a-sub-200-marathon-wont-happen-soon

The Pocatello Kid.

Concludes Tucker, "Bottom line is that talking about a sub-2 hour performance after seeing a 2:03:38 improve to a 2:03:23 is just not feasible.  The next barrier is 2:03, and I'm sure will go within five One years.  Then we can begin to work towards 2:02, which will take another ten years, perhaps."

Latent Runner

Concludes Tucker, "Bottom line is that talking about a sub-2 hour performance after seeing a 2:03:38 improve to a 2:03:23 is just not feasible.  The next barrier is 2:03, and I'm sure will go within five One years.  Then we can begin to work towards 2:02, which will take another ten years, perhaps."

Read the other article, the current record is 2:02:57; happened earlier this year in Berlin.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
        • 2-mile: 13:49
        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
        • 5-Mile: 37:24
        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
        LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Read the other article, the current record is 2:02:57; happened earlier this year in Berlin.

That's what Scully was saying, I think.

endlessrun

I read the article in the latest RW, as it had such nice graphics, but can't say I'm much interested.  As it is, these times make a mockery of my best running efforts, lol.

It will take big cajones to run a <2:00 marathon.  Any other questions?

mikeymike

Dude.

Runners run

an amazing likeness

Any one have insights into what software might have been used to generate their web page / infographic ?  There are some Adobe tags in the page source, but it wasn't obvious to me.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Yes. You cant get a hit off Clayton Kershaw. You cant dunk on Lebron James. And you cant beat Dennis Kimetto in a footrace. But those facts don't make following professionals uninteresting.

I read the article in the latest RW, as it had such nice graphics, but can't say I'm much interested.  As it is, these times make a mockery of my best running efforts, lol.

And we run because we like it
                    Through the broad bright land