What's 75% of VO2Max Feel Like? (Read 1171 times)

I'm clueless, and the Great Google isn't helping.  There's a human performance study at a local college, and the study involves running on a treadmill for 2.5hrs at 75% of measured VO2Max (done a week prior as part of the study).  The Consent Form calls it "intensified exercise" and describes the protocol thusly:

You will either run on a treadmill or cycle on your own bicycle on CompuTrainers for 2.25-h followed by a 15 min time trial at the fastest pace possible, with distance measured for a performance outcome.  You can consume water as desired throughout the 2.5-h exercise bouts, but no other beverage or food is allowed.   You will ingest another dose of the Experimental Supplement or Placebo Supplement after one hour of exercise.  Heart rate and rating of perceived exertion (RPE) will be taken every 30 minutes during the bout, with oxygen consumption and ventilation measured after one hour of exercise.

I read elsewhere that the long treadmill run is at 75% of VO2Max, but it may be that these researchers call it intensified because of the 15min time trial at the end.  Either way ... what's 75% of VO2Max pace correspond to?  Is there a handy calculator or table somewhere?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

VO2max pace is something like 3k race pace.

mikeymike

Faster than a jog, slower than marathon pace.

Runners run

If I have any clue, then ...

A 20min 5k corresponds to an 11:28 3000m, says McMillan.  That's 6:09 pace.  6:09 = 369sec.  369/.75 = 492sec, which is 8:12 pace.

If that's the right way to do the math, then a 20min 5k'er study participant would have to run 2.25hrs at 8:12, then hammer a 15min time trial?

MTA: the whole thing may be moot anyway, since I'm in lousy shape and probably couldn't meet their participant standard.  But I was hoping to get a sense for what I might be getting myself into.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I'd think that it'd be 75% of VO2 Max HR.  8:12 pace for 2.25 hours plus a 15 min fast run at then end is probably too much, isn't that close to your Marathon pace.

If it's HR based it'd be something around .75 * 180  = 135 which is at about 12 -13 min pace for me.

mikeymike

Yeah but they're actually going to measure your VO2max, not estimate it from your best ever race time.  So it could be a lot different from what it was when you ran your PR 5k (or will be this spring when you're in peak racing shape.)

Little differences in VO2max will result in big differences in whatever pace 75% of that is.

It's still a 2.5 hour treadmill run at a moderately hard pace--in other words I'd rather take a bullet in the leg, but DB could bang that out in his sleep.

Runners run

L Train

Faster than a jog, slower than marathon pace.

Hey that's my marathon pace. 

Yeah but they're actually going to measure your VO2max, not estimate it from your best ever race time.

Well, crap.  Although if it gets me a slower treadmill pace ...

And speaking of bullets in the leg, did I mention this treadmill portion is repeated on three consecutive days?  If they were paying in beer, I could probably get DB to road-trip.

-- Dick LeBeau

Scout7

It feels like.... warm apple pie.

Why is it sideways?

Smells like... napalm in the morning.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It's still a 2.5 hour treadmill run at a moderately hard pace--in other words I'd rather take a bullet in the leg, but DB could bang that out in his sleep.

He would skew the study results.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

He would skew the study results.

He'd define the study results, if he was the only one to do it.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Well, crap.  Although if it gets me a slower treadmill pace ...

And speaking of bullets in the leg, did I mention this treadmill portion is repeated on three consecutive days?  If they were paying in beer, I could probably get DB to road-trip.

3 consecutive days huh? That's pretty brutal.

3 days of fairly challenging long runs followed by a race every day. If that 8:00-8:15 estimate is close I guess that means your looking at getting a taste of what a 140 mile week feels like.

If your looking for something to whip you back into shape...

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Happily, they're full.  She's keeping my contact info in case they need stupid people for some other torture.

-- Dick LeBeau

Long Aerobic Run: ¼ - ½ of Lydiard Effort Chart 

RPE

Intensity

Breathing

Talking

% VO2 Max

Moderate

Comfortable

Easy

Somewhat strong

Noticeable

Somewhat easy

Strong

Deep, but steady

Challenging but in control

Not accurate or "scientifically" proven but this is how "we" prescribe it (in Running Wizard training plan).  We also prescribe HR for each workout based on age AND resting HR.