What should I log for my PR time? (Read 267 times)

npaden

At my race this morning, the leaders followed the bicycles that were supposed to lead the race.  They missed the very first turn.  About the first 30-40 runners followed, then someone said for us to turn where we were supposed to so we split off and started following the certified course.  Then someone else comes running over screaming at us to follow the bikes so we turn around and follow them.  About a mile in we realize that at some point after that they started sending people on the correct certified course about 30-40 runners after us, so after we end up with the extra .22 miles we merge back onto the correct course to have a bunch of the folks who were behind us at the start now in front of us.  Very frustrating.

Okay, I crossed the line at 1:50:04.  I was really hoping to go sub 1:50, my A goal was 1:47.  If I go back and look at the GPS track, I spent a minute and 35 seconds running off course.

What should I log as my time?  1:50:04?  1:48:29?

If everyone in the race had run the same distance I would probably just log it as 1:50:04, but it is frustrating to know that at least half the runners in the race ran .22 miles less to get their official time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Nathan

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

A Saucy Wench

That sucks

I would Log your official time and the actual distance you ran.  It will stand forever as a PR at that unusual distance

You may choose for yourself.

Either way it will always stand as an asterisk in your mind and the only real solution is to sign up for another race and go smash the PR

MTA:  spending 95 seconds off course in the middle of the race doesnt translate necessarily to 95 seconds at the end. Either way you know you have sub 1:49 in you.  Go get it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

npaden

Or do I just log it as a 13.32 race and not as a half marathon?

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

A Saucy Wench

Or do I just log it as a 13.32 race and not as a half marathon?

Thats what I would do.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Chris UK

This is what I would do. Log the time and PR for the distance run - as it cannot really be anything else. However I would put in the notes what happened and that your time equates (according to the RunningAhead calculator) as a 1:48:07 Half Marathon. You might have some fun seeing where that time puts you in the race finish list.

It sucks but - better look in the future.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

doctorjen

Aww, Nathan, that sucks. On the positive side, though, you held pretty close to goal time amid the chaos!  I'd go with the other posters and log it as a 13.32 mile race.

kcam

I'd log it as a half marathon with a time of 1:50:04, but have a note to what happened.  Sucks, but that's racing.  Shit happens.  Take solace in the fact that you will destroy that PR in your next race!

I'd log it as a half marathon with a time of 1:50:04, but have a note to what happened.  Sucks, but that's racing.  Shit happens.  Take solace in the fact that you will destroy that PR in your next race!

+1

It's like getting stuck in lane 2 or 3 the whole way for an indoor mile: it sucks and you know you ran long but the race isn't to cover an exact distance, it is to get from the start line to the finish line.

It's good work through and a huge confidence boost for your next race.

I'd log it as a HM, write in the Course name "Stupid-Ass HM (LONG)", and tick the box so it's not included in PRs.

(I ran a short 5k a couple years ago, which resulted in an artificially brisk 5k time.  I didn't want that false entry hanging over my head, so I just excluded it from PRs.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

This

I'd also log it as a half-marathon, with a note (probably in the course name) about what happened.  Since it was long, not short, I would probably not exclude it from PRs, though.  (A short course I would exclude.)

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                        Emil Zatopek

This happened to me a few months ago at a half where they ran us up some staircases in Richmond Love Rocks Half, then they turned us around and it costed me probably 2 minutes' time.    It wasn't quite a PR, but I just logged it as what was indicated when I crossed the line.   It sucks, but it happens...

We all have different answers, but I simply would log it as-is, (with time-lost annotations in the comments column) and then immediately get on the computer and schedule another race...   I am sure the problem will resolve itself in the future when you are able to run a race faster than you currently are.  :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

miele

Godzilla

How frustrating, Nathan!  I would log it as an HM with an explanation.  I would then use the average pace to calculate what my time would've been had the distance been correct (and put that in the notes).  Then I would use that adjusted time in the running calculators to help establish your  marathon goal. (if that was important to you).  It's not like you ran a short race and would be assuming you could run the correct distance at that average pace.   Congratulations on running a strong, albeit long, race!

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

This is what I'd do. Technically they should have DQ'd you and everyone else that ran off course (even though it wasn't your fault) but since they didn't and since you're confident you ran more than 13.1 I don't see a reason to exclude it from your PRs.

It sucks when that happens. I was in the lead pack of a 5-miler once when a police motorcycle led us off course. The top 11 runners (including myself) were DQ'd. Everyone was pissed, the RD felt horrible and apologized about a hundred times to the point I actually felt bad for him. Shit happens sometimes.

Runners run

bhearn

Yep.

I was in the lead pack of a 5-miler once when a police motorcycle led us off course. The top 11 runners (including myself) were DQ'd. 

Now that REALLY sucks. I was actually wondering whether something similar might happen at a 50k I ran last year -- the 50k and 50M shared most of the same course. The 50M leader, Zach Gingerich, was out to destroy the CR. But he got misdirected onto a side loop only us 50kers were supposed to use, much longer than the correct 50M course (which extended well past the 50k finish). So he ran like 5 extra miles, missed the CR, and was pissed. But properly, he should have been DQed, because he went way off course. What if the stretch he missed had been super tough? (Actually, the alternate stretch he ran was a giant mudpit, adding insult to injury.)