Junk miles (Read 1003 times)

geekfarm@centurytel.net

I really don't like the term. It suggests that all running should be for the purpose of improving your race performance, and ignores the fact that many of us run just for the fun of it.
    Perfectly said!
      Gee i think i'd be in strife with this description. I'm currently doing low heart rate training to build an aerobic base which demands relatively low speed miles controlled by your HR at this stage for a 12 week period. The way I see it this is all very specific training and done for a purpose so I don't classify it as junk miles - if i actually went out and did one speed session a week or kept maintaining a constant pace in spite of a rising heart rate i would see that as junk miles for me.

Just running for the fun of it!

Dave

Great thread. Slow miles are not junk miles. Intervals are not junk miles. Tempo runs are not junk miles My worst run is better than not running at all. Still, if I set out for an easy run and end up running somewhere between my easy run HR and a tempo run pace, I feel like I didn't accomplish what I set out to accomplish (focusing training on my aerobic base). I might call those miles junk miles. But they're not wasted. Maybe recycled.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Half Fanatic #846

There's no such thing as "junk miles". Just because someone coins a term, does not make it appropriate or valid. I have NEVER run a mile that wasn't beneficial to me in some way. If there can be junk miles, then there can also be junk money, junk health, junk foo oh wait - there is that. Confused Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

LTD

I think the term " Junk" in junk miles is what is throwing everyone off. People must define it different. Are junk miles runs that do your body harm? or Are junk miles runs that are not optimal training? If they are runs that do your body harm, I would agree there are junk miles. Like running when you are injured and aggrivating the injury more. If they are runs that are not optimal training, then almost all runs would be junk miles. Because most runs could in some way have been run better as to improve your running more. We do not have the perfect run every (or almost any) time we run. Just my thought. Terry
              I think that I've only used the term "junk" miles a few times ever. And those were times when I was not feeling well, but not sick enough to not run. I viewed it as a way to sweat my sickness out of my system. Probably not the best way to deal with being a little bit sick. Those were runs that I kept my pace as a minimum, and if I weren't sick I would have run harder and further. The times that I've run while sore from other workouts, well, those are just kept shorter than I prefer and I get annoyed, but I have learned to ease up and listen to my pain. I agree though that junk miles aren't wasted miles, they just aren't what they should have been...for me at least.

Michelle