Used Garmin FR 201 for $65 a good deal? (Read 669 times)

Asics' Benefactor

Hey, guys! Just wondering--given that after trying it out that this Garmin is still fully-functioning, would $65 be 'too good of a price' to pass this up? I can afford a 205 or even a 305 without breaking the bank, but would always opt for saving money here and there. I mean, I know I shouldn't be going for the aesthetics of a HRM, but it's kinda fugly looking--no offense. Anyway, any feedback is welcomed and appreciated! Thanks! -Kenny
    2008 Goals:
    Run 5k (Naked Juice) 07/13/08 - 28:39
    Run 10K (San Diego AIDS) 09/28/08 - 51:59
    Run a 25 mile week Run a 100 mile month

Prince of Fatness

You should be able to find a 205 brand new for roughly double that. I had a 201 and upgraded to the 205. Given that choice I would go with the 205.... The 205 is new and Garmin is pretty good about supporting their products. I would think you would have less issues if something should break. The 205 has a stronger antenna. I lose satellites far less frequently than I did with the 201. It rarely happens with the 205. The 205 can connect to your PC via USB vs serial port for the 201. There was a thread recently that was about the 205 deals. Click here.

Not at it at all. 

Chair Warmer

If you don't regularly run in areas where the better reception is needed (tall buildings, wooded trails) and the PC connection isn't an issue, I would go for it. I have never used the 201 (I have a 305), but assuming it has similar functionality you will love it.

Dave

If you've got the cash, spring for the 205 (or 305 if you think you'll run with a HRM). Battery ilfe on a used one may not be that great (think about cell phone after a couple of years). As others have mentioned, the satellite reception on the 205/305 is much improved as well, not to mention the USB (vice RS-232) connectivity.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'd skip it and go with a 205/305 for the reasons listed above: weaker antenna, and even more importantly, serial connection. Many modern computers don't even have serial connections anymore, and they're slow and janky as hell. 205's can be found online for as low as $121. If you would also like a heart rate monitor, a 305 can be obtained for under $200. Obviously, $65 is a great deal, so if money's the issue, do what you need to do. But your money is probably better spent on a more reliable, connected device.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Asics' Benefactor

Thanks, everyone! You've convinced me to go ahead and purchase a 205. I'm gonna wait until the weekend and do some research as to what's the best deal on the net right now. Take care! -Kenny
              2008 Goals:
                I would go for the 201. I'm still using mine, and have no problems with it. Battery life is still as good as it was when it was new, or at least close enough I don't notice. I still only have to charge it once a week maximum, less if some of my runs are on a track and I don't use it. (granted, I only got mine in Dec 04) I guess, though, I havn't bothered with the sync in a couple years, because I just have to copy the summary over to my training log. I might go for the upgrade, though, if the whole kit'n'kaboodle could go in my log and the summary numbers would just pop out when eric finishes the Forerunner import.

Asics' Benefactor

Alright! Update! So I went on eBay and looked up credible Powersellers and found myself a factory-refurbished Forerunner 305 with a 1 year manufacturer warranty for $100 more than I would have bought the 201 for! I opted for priority shipping so it should get here Friday or Saturday, and I'll let you guys know how that goes Smile Hopefully it eases my 'guilt' of spending $40 more than I was willing to on a 205 :P
                  2008 Goals: