RunningAHEAD licensed training log to Runner's World (Read 6754 times)

eric :)

Every so often, I receive email inquiries from various organizations asking about the software that powers this site. Earlier this year, a representative from Rodale contacted me. Rodale is the parent company of magazines such as Runner's World, Bicycling, Women's Health, etc. She told me that as a part of their expansion plan, they want to have their own running log. Several years ago, Runner's World had a running log, but they shut it down citing not enough interest, thus angering many people. It seemed strange to me that they did a complete turn around so quickly. After the initial contact, I had a series of phone calls with various fine folks at Rodale and Runner's World. I learned that they basically had two options: create a running log from scratch or obtain a copy of an existing log. They decided to go with the latter because they want to have something as soon as possible. They looked around and decided to pursue the log that you've been using all this time. I was between a rock and a hard place. I do not appreciate Rodale jumping into the training log arena because I want my site to be the place for recording your workouts. Rodale being what it is, will have a log on their site whether I like it or not. If that is the case, I want my log to be on Runner's World's site and not someone else's. I negotiated with Rodale for about a month to come up with an equitable license agreement. It was signed at the end of April. I like to inform you that Runner's World went live with the training log today. The license only covers the training log portion of the site. As you know, RunningAHEAD can be separated into several components. What make this place special are the groups and forums that you all participate in. I'm sure the questions on your minds are how would this affect you, and what will happen to this site? Let me assure you that nothing has changed. It does not affect existing users in anyway. RunningAHEAD will continue to operate independently. I will continue to be sole owner of the site and will continue to work on it as I've done in the last three years. I will continue to answer all your questions in the forums or via email. That is something that you will not get from Runner's World. The only down side is that the site will have fewer new members, but my focus will continue to be on you, the existing users. This is a good opportunity for me. It opened up doors that I could never have imagined. I was invited to the Runner's World Boston Marathon party. The various folks from Rodale and Runner's World all know my name and the site before I was introduced to them. They made me feel like a little star. I talked with David Willey (Chief Editor), Mark Bloom (Editor) and Carol Goodrow (webmaster of KidsRunning.com). I also met with Amby Burfoot (Executive Editor and 1968 Boston Marathon Winner). He was the one that advocated my site to Runner's World. Also at the same party was Johnny Kelley. I introduced myself to him and he greeted me warmly, as if we've known each other our entire lives. By licensing my log, Rodale affirmed what I set out to do three years ago, which was to create the best online running log. Still, it is far from what I envisioned it to be. I will continue to improve it. Together, we can make our little corner of the Internet the place to be for all runners. As always, I like to hear your thoughts and concerns. Feel free to post them here, or contact me directly through the feedback form. eric Smile
      That is awesome news, Eric! Glad to hear it. So is Runner's World going to host a separate instance of your running log on one of their servers?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

That is awesome news, Eric! Glad to hear it. So is Runner's World going to host a separate instance of your running log on one of their servers?
        RW has their own copy of the software running on their server farm. I'm not sure how they're set up. By the way, update 14 was created after the code transfer, so they do not have any of those features. That's a good example of how I'll remain independent.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Congratulations Eric! Big grin I signed up on RW's site so I could check it out (fortunately, they did not already have a jeffgoblue!). It was a little surreal, seeing what looked like my favorite website, yet not. I would like to see this on the RW side: A button on the log that says "Powered by RunningAhead." And have it be a link back to here. I can understand from a business standpoint why Rodale might not want to do that, but it would be nice, at least on the "Learn About The Training Log" page. BTW, I do think your log is the best of it's kind on the web, but it's all the goofballs in the forums that keep me coming back several times a day, long after the run is completed and logged.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Jeff, As per the license agreement, there should be a copyright notice on the log. I need to ask them about that. By the way, did you get my email? I think all the emails I sent from my home machine got lost in the void of the internet. Very odd.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Cool! I went over to RW's site, but did not see a link to a log.
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

As per the license agreement, there should be a copyright notice on the log....By the way, did you get my email?
                a) Looked around, didn't see a copyright notice. b) nope, didn't get your e-mail. Still lost in the void. Surprised

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I went over to RW's site, but did not see a link to a log.
                  Go to Runnersworld.com, look to the right of the of the logo: and you'll see:

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Got it! Wow, looks familiar. Eric, once you update your graphing, you will again be waaaayyyyy ahead!! Big grin Good work! Enjoy your new Mac Wink
                    Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

Eric ... they get the log (which is already out of date) but they don't get the real 'heart' of RA which is the people, the forums, the ideas ... and most of all you & your development plans. For me this is a major win for RA which means we (the RA guys) get a log that just gets better and better. The fact they wanted to use your log is one serious, and well deserved, compliment. My hat (or running cap) is off to you. Big grin Neil UK

Running ... just keep running!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

BTW, I do think your log is the best of it's kind on the web, but it's all the goofballs in the forums that keep me coming back several times a day, long after the run is completed and logged.
                        Exactement. I will probably register over there just because I'm nosy, but RA is the original. No way that RW will offer the level of personal customer service that we get here...ever. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm back! Meh, that place ain't got no soul (this coming from the whitest white girl).... Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

congratulations! i don't see that log as a competitor to RA at all (no dig at them-- i have an account there, too), and i don't think you sold anyone out or anything (so don't feel like you need to justify yourself or your decision or anything, ever!)-- if anything, it's more like RW is just recognizing a good thing and getting it out to more people. your good work is now helping even more people become better runners, etc.-- which i think is great! i'm a montessori teacher-- every time a new montessori school opens in the area, people always ask if that makes things awkward, or if it'll hurt our enrollment or whatever. personally, i feel like the philosophy and goals of all montessori schools are the same, and are a good thing to have growing in any community of people. at the same time, each school has its own character and families stay at the school that suits their family best, simple as that. i think this will operate much the same way. folks who are here love it here. lots of folks who aren't here yet but come here will love it here, too. you're not going to lose anyone whose heart wasn't here in the first place. also, i checked it out and did not see any licensing or "powered by" or "source by" etc note. maybe want to contact them about that.
                              I'm back! Meh, that place ain't got no soul (this coming from the whitest white girl).... Tongue k
                              amen sista!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

ps folks have already noticed the similarity over there, and while they're excited about having a log available @ RW, too, some have already commented that they'll be keeping their RA logs. of course!