increase mileage or frequency? (Read 941 times)

thumbs up!

I'm trying to "build my base" with hopes to someday try a 10k, (or in my fantasy life, a HM.) Right now I run about every other day. Should I increase mileage for each run, or run more frequently? I've been reading these forums long enough to know: "just run". However, I want to increase safely since I've suffered from shin pain issues in the past.
    2010 Goals
    1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
    2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
    3. sub 30 min 5k
    4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10

Just Be

I'd say run more frequently for about 1 month, keeping pace the same, or maybe reducing it a little, you'll end up increasing mileage a bit as well. Then focus on increasing mileage, maintaining the same pace or increasing it slightly if your body tells you that you'll be ok.
        You'll probably get lots of excellent advice but I would suggest keeping your rest days, running four times per week, and gradually increasing the mileage on the days you run. The theory is that those rest days are crucial in allowing your body to recover from the stress. It's all relative but keep your easy days easy and your hard days hard and you can increase mileage successfully.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

be careful on how much mileage you increase per week. Current thought is limit yourself to a 10%/week increase so you can avoid injury.
            I've seen many articles/posts that tell you increase 10% a week, but I think that's very conservative. They'll usually also throw in something like "but listen to your body and do what feels right for you." I translate this loosely as "don't be stupid and hurt yourself you have the rest of your life to build up mileage." I don't have the patience to stick to a 10% rule, but my weekly mileage varies based on my work/life schedule for the week.
              Taken from an Earlier Post: The intermediate training schedule from The Complete Book of Women's Running by Dagny Scott might be one to consider. It is a 16-week plan that starts with three 30-minute runs and one 35-minute run per week and builds to five runs per week, including a 60-minute long run. I guess it depends on whether you want to run more days. I don't want to put the schedule here because there may be copyright issues. I found it online by googling "intermediate training schedule" (in quotes) and dagny (outside the quotes). That only returned one result, which I selected and then scrolled to page 59. Good luck, whatever you decide and congrats on coming so far with your running This is what the DH and I are starting beginning next week once we complete the One Hour Runner. At first glance it does not seem like enough of a challenge, but if you read into the program it is adding additional days thus increasing your mileage at a safe rate. At the end of the program you are running 5 days a week and should have a pretty solid base to start training for bigger races such as that fantasy HM.... Good Luck! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

I see from your log that you are running every second day, but no further than 6 kms. I would suggest you start increasing the distance of one of your runs, by say 1Km per week, until you reach 10-12 kms on that run. That will give you the ability to run a 10k race with confidence. Then I would try to run 4 days a week and start training for the longer distance. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I'm a Lydiard guy and pretty much all that I say here (except for some non-running stuff? ;o)) would be based on Lydiard principles. I get heavily criticized for that particularly at letsrun.com message board; some say it's old-fashion, some say it's a bunch of BS...most of them have NO idea what Lydiard principles are. Some say Lydiard is for elite--running 100 miles a week. Of course, he was behind the first ever organized jogging club in the world. He helped a group of 20 ex-heart attack patients--the youngest being 50-year-old and the oldest 74--to get up and start running from the point where they couldn't even run a half a lap around the local high school track (200m) to running 20 miles non-stop in mere 8-month. So first of all, KNOW that it's possible. I go back once in a while and read his first ever jogging book, "Run For Your Life", and see how they did it. They used basically a classic "interval" method of jogging a bit and walking a bit and repeat--pretty much what C25K program would say. And try to get to the point where you can run 15 minutes without having to stop. Once you get there, you need to start doing a long run once in a while but always go back to 15 minutes for recovery. Longer runs would develop muscular endurance; the longer you can go, the more muscular endurance you'd develop. This is basically your ability to go the distance. In other words, without training your body to go far, it'd be very difficult to go far! Once again, the important thing is to always go back to 15-minutes for recovery. Once you get to the point where you can run something like 15'-45'-15'-30'-15'... something like that (that would be 5-days-a-week program with a few days rest); then now you'll bring up those "recovery" days up to 20' or so... But the whole point is to go far one day; and take one or two or three days or whatever to recovery before you try this long run again... Doing 30' and then, for a long run, 35', to me, wouldn't make enough impact to actually push the envelope--I'd have 5 minutes difference from a good day to a bad day alone! Let's face it; without pushing the envelope, you're not going to improve much. Forget how many miles you're running. Forget how fast (minutes-per-mile) you're running. Just go out and run for time. I'd even say forget about following any particular so-many-weeks program. That would put undue pressure. Have those long runs only when you felt you can comfortably do so. Don't even put pressure on yourself of "increasing 10% every week". Listen to your "Inner Coach" and you'll do fine. Dreams stay dream if you don't do anything about it. And "just run" is fine but it wouldn't hurt to use your head...and heart! (instinct?)
                    Penny_A, I was just looking at your log, and you've done a really good job of running consistently - mostly in the 30-min range, but some out a little longer and one out to a little over 1 hr. Congratulations on the consistency! What works for you will depend somewhat on what you like to do, what your goals are, and how flexible your schedule is. I ran 3 days/wk or every other day for years since that allowed me some flexibility with work and weather (avoiding ice or 70+ mph wind days), but most of my runs were greater than 1 hr (that's what worked for *me*). For *me*, getting farther from home or exploring more of trails (and getting more experience) worked better than running more frequently. I also had some foot/ankle issues early on, and they did best with every other day until I'd gotten them reasonably strengthened. For other runners, they prefer a routine of running more frequently, and their bodies respond better to it. The big thing whether you go with frequency or longer runs is to monitor your body. In order to run 4 days/wk consistently, you have to run back-to-back days. Try it once with shorter runs and see how it works. If it works ok, try it again, but don't be afraid to back off to every other day (3-4 days/wk) as needed. Cutback weeks are a part of all good programs. Or you can just work on adding a little to one of your runs each week, so that your long run gets longer one week and shorter runs gradually get longer also. Fantasy life can become reality over time if you keep at it. FWIW, when I started running more almost 7 yr ago, I was just looking to do "a little more" than my few times a week jog down to the hs and back (about 20-30 min rt) - mostly for stress relief. No real goals. Didn't know there were races other than Boston and some local mtn races. Anyway, I got involved in an online group, and after I did my first race, somebody put a bug in my ear about ultras. I built what I could while I was still working and strengthened feet / ankles and worked on muscle imbalances, then retired 2.5 yr ago and built a lot more, now that I could run year round (not just winter in Alaska). Last summer I ran / walked/ crawled the 38 mi of the Resurrection Pass trail the year I turned 60 (didn't do the full 50 mi of the race, which includes 12 mi of gravel road). That's with a pack and refilling water from stream since we don't have aid stations. So dreams can become reality if you want them badly enough. My avatar is from a half marathon I did in the fall. Good luck on your continued journey in running.Smile
                    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                      The best results I ever got was when I adopted a program that called for runs at a given intensity for a given amount of time (mostly relatively low intensity). Distance was just the output of the equation time x intensity. I find that when I run for distance, at some point I get impatient and try to pick it up. To avoid that, I will set my fancy Garmin 305 to show heart rate and time only. I go out and back and look at the distance when I'm done. I found that my distance gradually increased.