HM pacing question, though it's still kind of early (Read 234 times)

xhristopher

xhristopher, I actually have EXCUSES, EXCUSES EXCUSES for those fades in my last two races:

I don't mean to give you a hard time but in the 9 miles you raced this month not one was faster than the last in either race. If your cramp was in the last mile of your 10K you still faded almost 30 seconds over the first 4 miles. For most, it's not the most optimal pacing for the most optimal result. Perhaps It's what lead to the breakdown at the end. That's all I was getting at. Consequences of going out too fast tend to be exaggerated the longer the race is. If I tried your 10K strategy on my next half it would be suicide.

For those not interested in lurking here are the splits in question:

5K: 6:41, 6:47, 7:11 (6:50 average)

10K:  6:32, 6:51, 6:58, 6:59, 7:04, 7:19 (6:59 average)

MTA:

OK, i took another look at your log. You have the mileage to have a good race. Here's my wild guess.

Go out no faster than 7:20-25 for the first few miles. Get your result - 1:36-1:38.

or

Go out sub 7. Get your result - 1:40+.

delicate flower

I don't mean to give you a hard time...

Not at all.  I appreciate the advice.  I've been running for a couple of years now and need to start thinking about strategy and running my races smarter, rather that just going out and running hard.  I feel like I'm on the verge of really breaking through.

<3

Jan26.2

xhristopher, I actually have EXCUSES, EXCUSES EXCUSES for those fades in my last two races:

The 5K had a pretty significant hill (for a 5K) in the last mile:

In the 10K, I got hit with a terrible cramp in the last mile that I could not push through, hard as I tried.  I've had side stitches before and can deal with those, but this cramp was in the front of my body just below the ribs.  It was agonizing.

Excuses, excuses...

I agree that I need to pace better in my races though.

I've got one of those type of stitches in 2 out of my last 3 races, and can't figure out what's causing them. Is this the first time that's happened to you, and do you have any idea what caused yours?

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

Baboon,

your last year's 1:45 HM time and your recent 43:26 10K time are very close to the HM and 10K times I had. Next HM was a 1:34. YOU, despite your injury and subsequent surgery, have a great foundation of mileage backing you up. I think you can do better than I did: I think you can break 1:30!

delicate flower

I've got one of those type of stitches in 2 out of my last 3 races, and can't figure out what's causing them. Is this the first time that's happened to you, and do you have any idea what caused yours?

That was the first time I have ever felt that kind of cramping.  It was the most pain I've ever felt in a run, ever.  Google pointed to a couple of things, mainly dehydration (very possible) and running the race on an empty stomach.  It ached for a couple days but I didn't feel it today during my speed workout (8 miles of hard effort).  I am hoping it was a fluke because if it happens during my HM, I am in trouble.

TechW, thanks for that vote on confidence!  1:30 would be my current 5K PR pace...not sure I am ready to attempt that yet.  I'll probably aim for 1:35-1:40.  If that goes well and I leave time on the course, I have another HM on Oct 14.        

<3

Nice PR, Baboon! For the next one, concentrate on keeping up the leg turnover in miles 7-12. Those miles seem to require conscious effort. Try not to breathe any harder while you keep the turnover pace consistent (deep breathe if you have to and force yourself to think of keeping that cadence up). And it'd be great to see an all-out sprint at the end (you paid money for this: leave it ALL out there...go to the dark place!!). I expect you to beat me in your next attempt (I'm older and a girl Wink

Were miles 4 and 5 a hill by any chance?

Again, congrats!! Can't wait to see what you do for your next one!!

delicate flower

TechW, thank you!  Smile   1:36:05 finish and an 8:55 PR, for anyone who hasn't seen my log

This course was about as flat as a HM can get.  I updated my log to make the map public.  There were a couple of small inclines, but nothing that would slow the pace of a more experienced runner.  A couple of inclines did slow me down in mile 12.  My strategy was a little aggressive, as I went out trying to keep the pace below 7:15.  Around mile 4, I realized I would not be able to keep that pace up for 9 more miles.  So, I eased up a bit.  I was also aided by a tailwind the first half of the race, something I realized as soon as I made the turnaround at the halfway point (this was an out and back course).  The wind wasn't terrible, but it was enough to affect me and I wasn't strong enough to keep my speed up.  I thought I ran well today, but I think I can do better.  My legs didn't have the kind of fire I was expecting.  I'm not trilled with the drop in pace.  However, I can not reasonably expect a much better improvement and finish just seven months after major knee surgery.  

I've got no problem getting passed by girls!  In fact, I used the one that passed me in mile 9 to be a wind shield.  Big grin

Next HM is in five weeks.  I'll be gunning for another PR.  (I've actually got one in two weeks, but that's just going to be a 13 mile jog.)

<3

delicate flower

BTW my next marathon is in May 2014.  Vermont City.  Soooo...gotta start thinking about a finishing goal for training?   McMillan suggests a 3:22 finish and I have eight months to train.  Marathon PR is 3:45.

Cool

<3

an amazing likeness

Great job on the HM PR, Baboon...well paced race effort, you were rock-steady from 4 to 11, then fought the fade for the finish. Since you're heading up to Burlington in May, there's a bunch of previous threads on the VTCM, here's one that I remembered.

How big was the field at Gulf Beach?  I need a CT HM for next year...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

delicate flower

MilkTruck, thanks for that link!  I actually found that earlier and your analysis of the race is awesome and hugely helpful.  I'll definitely be revisiting that thread.

Gulf Beach sold out at 600 runners.  563 finished.  Not sure how I feel about the out and back course, though seeing so many other runners behind me on the other side of the road after I made the turn was kind of cool.  Never been in that position before.  

FWIW, my time was good for 37 / 563 OA and 6 / 47 M40-44.

<3

8 months? You are SO going under 3!!

mikeymike

Nice job Baboon. I ran VCM this year--great race. It's a fast course on the right day.

Runners run