2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

xhristopher

Not to nit-pick, but how is that related to how many of the people in this thread who broke 3 did it for the first time this year?

Ya know, I totally misread his question. I thought he asked something about how many miles.

Nevertheless, the link goes to a good thread,which is helpful to us trying to figure this out.

I can see by scanning the list that (I think) this is not the first sub 3 for more than half of the graduates. There also appears to be an over 50% failure rate in general. This looks very intimidating for us hopefuls. 

bhearn

Global warming and all that. A lot of races this year have had quite challenging conditions.

bhearn

Sounds a tad rough. Back up plan??

Seriously considering trying to swing Las Vegas instead, same day. I've already had rather a long taper, so I don't really want to push it out another few weeks, not that there is anything obvious on the calendar anyway.

mikeymike

Plus if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

Runners run

joescott

Seriously considering trying to swing Las Vegas instead, same day. I've already had rather a long taper, so I don't really want to push it out another few weeks, not that there is anything obvious on the calendar anyway.

Join me in Dallas next week.  So far the weather is shaping up nicely.  (Of course, the forecast 10 days out is probably just a random number generator).

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Global warming and all that. A lot of races this year have had quite challenging conditions.

Yep, challenging indeed.

I'm new to the forums here but I'd like to be part of the 2013 goal thread. I do have a sub-3 from the fall of 2011 but I want to do it at Boston. I had every intention to go for it this year until mother nature decided to screw with us. Hopefully we won't have another day like that next April as I'm going back to try again.

kcam

I should probably do the same but being a dumbass I won't.  I'll be slogging through CIM but it's pretty much gonna be a training run unless the weather changes significantly.  If this turns out to be a training run I might try Napa since I've never run there and that it can be a place to run 'fast'.  I don't know much about Vegas but from the bits and pieces I've heard it ain't great.  Isn't that the one where they have 1/2 and Full runners merging together at very bad places (slow 1/2 merging into fast full runners)?

bhearn

Yes, I have heard bad stuff, but haven't paid a lot of attention. I'd have to get a start in the front corral. May not be possible at this point.

Napa is a great course, but I didn't find it to be quite as fast as I expected.

bhearn

CIM forecast: heavy rain, 18-mph headwind. I just cannot catch a break on my goal races.

Ha -- now 27 mph.

[Competitive] Jerk

Ha -- now 27 mph.

Ooof!

fb-guy

Great to be here. You click the link and the page loads -- amazing. It's nice seeing some familiar faces.

Now for the important stuff. Can I complain about the god damb weather? haha.

What would you do?

1. Run CIM and try to hit 3:29 for a BQ?

2. Drive 3 hours to Marin at 3AM to try to get into the Northface 50 on a non-guaranteed waiting list spot?

3. Run the Headlands 50K Dec 15 in Marin?

I was shooting for 2:51:59 at CIM.

Wahoo -- a running forum that works.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

While I tend to think LetsRun is a cesspool, this is a relatively interesting sub-3 thread over there today: Meltdown during a sub 3 try

I am just reading anything I can while suffering a mild case of taper madness.

Earlier in the year I had to decide between CIM and RocketCity. Hate to hear about the weather forecast for CIM. The forecast for RocketCity (next week) doesn't look great either (cold rain). Hopefully that will change.

Good luck this weekend bearn! (wherever it is that you end up racing) 

--

Nashville, TN

bhearn

OK, I'm officially out for CIM; please strike that and put me down for Tucson instead, 12/9.

Done; let me know if the goal no longer applies.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

bhearn

Thanks, same goal.