Running Fast the Day Before a Race (Read 958 times)

Tiefsa

Worth a read

What do you think?  I remember doing some hard strides the day before a track race in HS.  The next day I ran very good.

I never thought about it much until now.  Any experiences running fast the day before a race and how you did on your race? 

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

If I'm doing a fast race [something shorter than 50k], I'll do a little fast running the day before [after a good warm-up and with a good cool-down]. May have worked for my last marathon [21-min PR], but I do think I went out too fast ...

Liz

pace sera, sera

Feeling the growl again

Didn't read the article but I do it, and I believe in it.  Even before a marathon I may take the day off 2 days out, but the day before a do a few easy miles with some good accelerations thrown in.  In my younger days I'd end with a sub-5 mile, and the preceeded some truly outstanding races.

MTA:  OK, now I read it.  Yes.  My best marathon tapers, I'd cut the volume but I'd keep the full volume of faster running.  That was the last thing I started cutting back on.  Pretty much what is described there.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

PDoe

I make it a point to try to get in 4-6 0:15 strides the day before a race after a short easy run. Not sure if that qualifies as 'running' in your book but I believe in keeping the leg muscles ready for the job. 

npaden

I've been doing some reading on tapering and found this article.

http://www.runwashington.com/news/1135/310/Tapering-Short-and-Fast-Is-Best.htm

Something seems hokey about it because it makes it seem like it is just released, but the date changes to todays date everytime you read it, but it supports the theory and even refers to what seems like a pretty sketchy study that supports it.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

SMART Approach

Running the day before a race or hard work out is recommended to keep your blood volume elevated and thus your max v02 on race day and thus better performance.   I like to do some striders or what NOBBY recommended which I do. This is 2 minutes at hard tempo pace within your easy run. Simple yet effective. I am a believer.

Here is some discussion blood volume by athletes and Tinman on therunzone.com forum as we speak. It wasn't original topic but is discussed later in thread.

http://www.therunzone.com/index.php?topic=2727.0

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Didn't read the article but I do it, and I believe in it.  Even before a marathon I may take the day off 2 days out, but the day before a do a few easy miles with some good accelerations thrown in.  In my younger days I'd end with a sub-5 mile, and the preceeded some truly outstanding races.

MTA:  OK, now I read it.  Yes.  My best marathon tapers, I'd cut the volume but I'd keep the full volume of faster running.  That was the last thing I started cutting back on.  Pretty much what is described there.

I'm guessing this was a mile around 5k pace, or maybe a little faster?

Haven't tried this approach and sometimes feel a little sluggish on race day. Seems like something I might consider.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Haven't tried this approach and sometimes feel a little sluggish on race day. Seems like something I might consider.

I don't think you need to over do it to reap some benefits. Just a few quick strides can make a difference. Just keep in mind that when younger, recovery time is much shorter.

kcam

Day before a race of 5K or longer I'll jog down to a HS track and jog the curves / stride the straights for about 6 laps then jog back home.  Sometimes I'll run the football field infield for the fast parts.   Seems to get my legs percolating for the next day.

I've also had good results with taking a day off 2 days before the race and then running 30-40 min with 5 or 6 strides the day before. Can't tell you why it works, but it does!

Feeling the growl again

Yes, and this was prior to marathons when I was crazy tapered.  Being older and wiser I may accelerate for a mile and finish the last quarter that fast, but if I could go back I don't think I'd allow myself to do a full mile that fast....but it sure felt easy, fully tapered at the time.

This goes back to when every other marathon a ran felt like the "race of a lifetime" dropping 5-10min from my PR...sure wish to have cycles like that again.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

#artbydmcbride

I raced a 5k the day before a marathon.   I don't recommend it.  

I think I will stick to a few miles with striders instead.   Big grin

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Even before a marathon I may take the day off 2 days out, but the day before a do a few easy miles with some good accelerations thrown in. 

I'm all for this.  If I take a day off leading up to a race, it's always two days before.  The day before race day is easy mileage with some striders.  

I also like the reverse scheme post-race i.e. I'll try to run real easy the day right after a race, then take the 2nd day after off.  This seems to help recovery.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I'm all for this.  If I take a day off leading up to a race, it's always two days before.  The day before race day is easy mileage with some striders.  

I also like the reverse scheme post-race i.e. I'll try to run real easy the day right after a race, then take the 2nd day after off.  This seems to help recovery.

Exactly! Smile

Liz

pace sera, sera

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I don't recommend this method, but I set my current 5K PR the day after I raced a different 5K. I can't explain it. It was a fast, flat course, but the day before was hilly. Anytime I've run back to back like that, strangely, I've always been faster on the second day.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54