Proper breathing technique during a run or race (Read 1175 times)

Tiefsa

Hello everyone.

I've been getting this question lately,  especially from my 6th grade students because they all have to do the mile run, and I just wanted to see what the community has to say.

What do you consider proper breathing technique during a run or a race?

My standard answer is for every two steps you breath in, and two steps you breathe out.

I do this except when I'm pushing it and I fall into more of a 2 and 1 pattern.

Every step is a bit much, but you have to see what works for you. 

One thing I think is a myth is the breathing through your nose and exhaling through your mouth.  That doesn't prevent cramps or keep you from losing your breath.  Right? 

I'm of the opinion that you need oxygen and your body doesn't care if comes through your nose or mouth or both for that matter. 

Thoughts?  Please share.

Lydiard advises Breathe through your mouth. Breathe through your nose. Suck the air in through your ears, if you can.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

#artbydmcbride

Afferent stimuli from the nerves that regulate breathing are in the nasal passages. The inhaled air passing through the nasal mucosa carries the stimuli to the reflex nerves that control breathing.   The sinuses produce nitric oxide (NO) which  is a pollutant but harmful to bacteria in small doses. Nitric (not nitrous) oxide is one of the very important chemical parts of breathing.  It vaso-dilates and increases oxygen exchange in the bronchial passages.

In through the nose, out through the mouth.   Not necessary with every breath, but as often as you can.  Smile

Runners run

xor

If I just breathe through my nose, especially on a one mile run, I will be running too slowly. Or maybe pass out.  HOWEVER... I remember being  a kid. I had one speed: sprint.  The nose thing helps keep one calm and in control.  For those who need that.

These days, I breathe through my eyelids. Like a lizard, Fernando, and Nuke.

dennrunner

Not really addressing your technique question, but if I only breathed in through my nose, I could only do a pretty slow jog. I take in most of my air while running through my mouth.

MTA: Awkward.  Not sure how I can run through my mouth. Make that:  I take in most of my air through my mouth while running. Or maybe: While running, I take in most of my air through my mouth.

HermosaBoy

These days, I breathe through my eyelids. Like a lizard, Fernando, and Nuke.

Is it a Mayan thing?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

wickedlady

yaknow, I was thinking about this very thing during my 10 mile race sunday when I suddenly realized I was kicking butt on the uphill portions.  I think practicing yoga has really helped me master taking deep, long breaths.  It's taken me a while to apply this to running, but I think it gets me through the harder efforts to focus on taking as a big of an inhale and exhale as I can. 4 count if I can, 3 count if 4 is too hard.  Really filling the lungs as deeply as I can, stretching out the ribcage, all that good stuff.  Overall, I am able to push through the hard parts without getting totally wiped when I practice this technique.

I can't remember why or where I got this from, but I think I heard somewhere that it's better to get into the habit of breathing from your abdominal region, rather than your chest. When you inhale, rather than your chest expanding out, you notice it more in your belly.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I breathe with a 2-3 pattern for my practice runs (inhale 2 steps, exhale 3).  My theory is that most of the O2 exchange happens during the slower exhale.  That said, when racing, I switch to a 2-2 pattern.  More oxygen = goodness.

I think being a wind musician has helped me lots.  BeastieR, you're referring to diaphragmatic breathing.  The diaphragm and stomach muscles, not the chest and shoulders, are what you need to accomplish deep breathing.

Maybe a glib answer, but I would not want to introduce another thing to think about during a run especially a race. While doing stuff where people talk about inhale while doing this and exhale while doing the other, I do a eye roll in my mind.  

As Jeff the hippie would say Just breathe baby.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Definitely you want to breathe during a race. Sprint or distance, either way, you're definitely gonna want to be breathing.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Troy.

Lydiard advises Breathe through your mouth. Breathe through your nose. Suck the air in through your ears, if you can.

+1

Also, I tell my runners who ask this question to breathe in such a manner as to avoid death.

It should be mathematical, but it's not.

Tiefsa

+1

Also, I tell my runners who ask this question to breathe in such a manner as to avoid death.

I think this will be my standard response now.  Classic!

xor

I can't remember why or where I got this from, but I think I heard somewhere that it's better to get into the habit of breathing from your abdominal region, rather than your chest. When you inhale, rather than your chest expanding out, you notice it more in your belly.

Dunno where you got it, but many of us got 'belly breathing' from the same place as the post right above yours... yoga.  Pranayama baybee!

Belly breathing is another calming/focusing technique (among other things).

Feeling the growl again

The little known reason the Kenyans hammer us in distance running is their secret breathing pattern.

Seriously, this is way over-thinking things.  I agree that "some" focus on learning to breath from the stomach muscles will aid in getting in deep breaths....and in my experience, it is somewhat useful at preventing cramps if you feel them coming on in your side.

Past that, your brain wants air and it is going to do everything it can to get it.  No artificial pattern is going to improve on the brain's natural tendency to maximize oxygen uptake.  Focus elsewhere in training.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills