Piriformis Injury? Say it isn't so.. (Read 1584 times)

Double IPA Please!

I don't know if I did something while I was weeding in the garden yesterday OR if I did it on my run AFTER my weeding in the garden. All I know is this..my run today was not all that hot. I have pain in my R hamstring from the back of my knee and deep into my R butt cheek.. I am hoping I just pulled my Hamstring maybe. However, I have pain even when I am sitting and the only way I can describe it is that it feels like a *Deep* ache. At first I thought it felt like a pinched nerve but then am trying to talk myself into just a pulled muscle. I was able to complete my run, but at a slower pace. I guess I should go use that little search button now Tongue

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

happybarb

Cellcom 2012

My husband has the exact pain as you described, he said it reminded him of a toothache. After some research this is what I came up with for his diagnosis: piriformis syndrome. Here's a link to a You Tube Video that has helped him even after just one rep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFtUgS69rPk&feature=related Hope this helps. Barb

Double IPA Please!

My husband has the exact pain as you described, he said it reminded him of a toothache. After some research this is what I came up with for his diagnosis: piriformis syndrome. Here's a link to a You Tube Video that has helped him even after just one rep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFtUgS69rPk&feature=related Hope this helps. Barb
        Thanks! That video was helpful!

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Hey, Denise: What is this? I now feel like I know you! Do you feel any tingling in down your foot as well? If the pain/tingling goes all the way down to your foot or close to (like your ankle), it could be sciatica. As I'm sure you know, piriformis is a (relatively) small muscle that runs in your butt. This could get tighten and pinch your sciatic nerve. Us runners use mainly quads, hams, calves and butts. Any of these guys could get tight. And it so happens if this happens with this guy in the butt, it conveniently sits right above sciatic nerve. To be honest with you, I actually don't qutie think this is it for your case. If you have sciatica, you have this feeling like your whole leg is collapsing (you'll feel like you have a "bad tooth" all along your leg). If the tightness is "only" in your hamstrings, it is probably where the issue is--in your hamstrings. There are usually 2 types of pain; sharp pain and a dull pain. If it's a sharp pain and you can actually pin-point exactly where it is, it's most likely a muscle pull or tear or some other nasty stuff. It doesn't sound like yours is this. If it runs all along your hamstring, it's most likely just a tired muscle(s) (knock on wood!). I'd recommend doing some LIGHT stretching, light massage, and do some icing. Take it easy on running; if you want to keep doing "something", do what doesn't bother the area. If it's your hammy, something like stair master; maybe easy biking, walking,... If just in case you can pin-point the pain, don't stretch till the pain subsides. Ice it and, after about 3 or 4 days, start light massage. If you do feel some tingling down to your ankle/foot, do some light stretching to loosen up piriformis; sit on your butt and (you said right side) pull your right knee GENTLY to your chest. You'll feel a gentle stretch in your butt. Don't overdo it. If you feel a pinch, that's too much. Icing also helps but, a word of caustion; I had a sciatica one time and this is what I did. I iced my butt so much that I actually got frost-bitten! ;o) No joke, so be reasonable! A good news is that you WILL get over it eventually. i know, however, it's a big "pain in a butt" (literally!). But, just because your schedule calls upon; don't try to complete the given number of miles. If in doubt, do less. Good luck!

Double IPA Please!

Hey, Denise: What is this? I now feel like I know you! I know!! I've had issues the last couple of days!! Do you feel any tingling in down your foot as well? If the pain/tingling goes all the way down to your foot or close to (like your ankle), it could be sciatica. As I'm sure you know, piriformis is a (relatively) small muscle that runs in your butt. This could get tighten and pinch your sciatic nerve. Us runners use mainly quads, hams, calves and butts. Any of these guys could get tight. And it so happens if this happens with this guy in the butt, it conveniently sits right above sciatic nerve. What I feel is this: Pain from the back of my R Knee up into the butt- deep inside- When I sit down it almost feels as if it's a pinched nerve- that sensation like circulation is cut-off somewhere- which does not go away when I sit down it almost feels a little more intense- and it actually run a little bit down the back of my calf as I feel it sitting here posting this to you To be honest with you, I actually don't qutie think this is it for your case. If you have sciatica, you have this feeling like your whole leg is collapsing (you'll feel like you have a "bad tooth" all along your leg). If the tightness is "only" in your hamstrings, it is probably where the issue is--in your hamstrings. There are usually 2 types of pain; sharp pain and a dull pain. If it's a sharp pain and you can actually pin-point exactly where it is, it's most likely a muscle pull or tear or some other nasty stuff. It doesn't sound like yours is this. If it runs all along your hamstring, it's most likely just a tired muscle(s) (knock on wood!). I'd recommend doing some LIGHT stretching, light massage, and do some icing. Take it easy on running; if you want to keep doing "something", do what doesn't bother the area. If it's your hammy, something like stair master; maybe easy biking, walking,... If just in case you can pin-point the pain, don't stretch till the pain subsides. Ice it and, after about 3 or 4 days, start light massage. I hope your right and perhaps it is just a Hammie pull! If you do feel some tingling down to your ankle/foot, do some light stretching to loosen up piriformis; sit on your butt and (you said right side) pull your right knee GENTLY to your chest. You'll feel a gentle stretch in your butt. Don't overdo it. If you feel a pinch, that's too much. Icing also helps but, a word of caustion; I had a sciatica one time and this is what I did. I iced my butt so much that I actually got frost-bitten! ;o) No joke, so be reasonable! A good news is that you WILL get over it eventually. i know, however, it's a big "pain in a butt" (literally!). But, just because your schedule calls upon; don't try to complete the given number of miles. If in doubt, do less. Good luck!
            I have already begun doing some stretches Thanks Nobby! You have been so helpful to me in the last few months!

Giant Flaming Dork

This is probably a longshot, but... I'm recovering from a semitendiosis injury myself and your pain sounds very familiar. Where exactly in the back of your knee does it hurt? If you feel the pain in the back of your knee on the outside of the knee - or wrapping around the outside of the knee, it could be the semitendinosis (one of the hamstrings). The way to tell is stand with your feet at a shoulder-widths apart and try to do a squat (no weights). If you feel the pain doing this - it's more likely your hamstrings (you have three of them).

http://xkcd.com/621/

Double IPA Please!

Thankfully the pain today is nothing like yesterday- which leads me to believe that indeed yes, I probably just pulled/strained my hamstring. However, I did just try to do what you asked and I can do it with some slight pulling underneath my right ass butt cheek.

Giant Flaming Dork

Look at where your hamstring attaches and it'll be clearer... http://www.henkdamiaans.nl/pictures/legmuscles/semitendinosus.jpg

Rynamite

I really hope it's 'just' a pulled hamstring. I suffered with piriformis syndrome for at least 6 months, and it's awful. If it DOES end up being a piriformis problem... stretch, stretch, stretch. It hurts, and it's really uncomfortable, but it's soooo necessary. Another thing that helped me was to use a tennis ball and work out the inflammation as much as I could. Again, it hurts... but it helps tremendously. A doctor also recommended that I take 800mg of Ibuprofen, 4 times a day, for 2 weeks. That really helps to kick the inflammation, too. Everyone feels differently about that, though, so it's just a suggestion.

Double IPA Please!

Last night and this morning it feels as if its back again. I feel it the most in that right ass cheek up underneath it. The link shows right where the hamstring ends up there in the glute and that is where my pain is- but tucked up underneath so to speak. Does that make sense?

Giant Flaming Dork

Yep. Makes perfect sense. There's tons of muscles (okay, not literally) on top of your hamstrings. It may be something different than your hamstring... This model might help you pinpoint which muscle... (Then again, maybe not...) http://www.cdmedia-studio.com/Reality_page23.htm