Nausea after swimming (Read 11293 times)

t_runner

Am I doing something wrong? A couple years ago, I was swimming once a week or so, and I never had any problems. Recently, I have started trying to pick it up again, and I have not yet made it a regular part of my schedule. But twice over the last two months, after a 30-40 minute swim at the pool, I have felt very nauseous. I am just doing two laps slow, then a rest, then repeat. The first time, it lasted for an hour or two after I was done. Just yesterday, it was a lot stronger, when I was showering afterwards, I felt like I was close to throwing up. But it faded, by the time I drove home I felt fine. I thought I had heard from a swimmer friend a while ago to not always lift your head up to breathe on the same side. So I was switching it up. However, after my last bout of nausea, yesterday, I was watching the other swimmers, and they all seemed to lift their head up on the same side. So I tried that, but then still felt nauseous. Anybody had this before and have any tips?

No tips, but I've had similar after some sessions after time off. I just figured that I swallowed too much chlorinated water.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Blaine, you aren't supposed to swallow the water. LOL t_runner~ Have you tried 3 stroke breathing? It brings your head up on the opposite side, keeping your form a little better since you are able to maintain the rolling from side to side motion. It is good to breath from both sides but yes, some weirdos only breath on one side. How is your breathing? are you waiting too long and gulping in air? Sometimes when you go too hard, you end up gulping in air and creating uncomfortable gas bubbles that can make you feel sick.

Jennifer mm#1231

Blaine, you aren't supposed to swallow the water. LOL t_runner~ Have you tried 3 stroke breathing? It brings your head up on the opposite side, keeping your form a little better since you are able to maintain the rolling from side to side motion. It is good to breath from both sides but yes, some weirdos only breath on one side. How is your breathing? are you waiting too long and gulping in air? Sometimes when you go too hard, you end up gulping in air and creating uncomfortable gas bubbles that can make you feel sick.
          I can't seem to breath from both sides. One side is ok. They other side, I just suck in water. I need to find some drills to help with this.
          "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
            My dh is my coach...I'll ask him if he knows any drills for that. Maybe he'll see this thread and respond since he's recently joined RA.

Jennifer mm#1231

My dh is my coach...I'll ask him if he knows any drills for that. Maybe he'll see this thread and respond since he's recently joined RA.
              Thanks.
              "If I control myself, I control my destiny."

I can't seem to breath from both sides. One side is ok. They other side, I just suck in water. I need to find some drills to help with this.
                What I used to do was always breath in the same cardinal direction, so for example going shallow to deep I would breath to the right and going from deep to shallow I'd breath from the left. Now I just breath every 3rd or 5th stroke and it makes it easier.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

t runner- The only nausea related to swimming that I have heard of is motion sickness caused during ocean swimming. I have a few theories you could explore. I believe that generally nausea is caused by something in your digestive tract (what you drink & eat) or a problem with the inner ear (oversensitivity to motion and/or a problem with the fluids in the inner ear). Only you can track what and when you ate. Your doctor could check for vertigo, etc. In the meantime a technical option is working on your stroke. I have two technical suggestions: 1) your head doesn't need to move during freestyle except when you breathe. Look at the bottom ahead of you and keep the waterline approximately where your hairline should be. This doesn't prevent you from rolling your body. Your neck just stays relaxed and acts like a swivel. A drill to practice to improve your roll is catch-up stroke, but it may give you an opportunity to stabilize your head a little between strokes too. It is hard to give advice on how to do a drill or analyze your technique in writing. May be you could sneak in one master's workout with a master's coach. Get there early and ask the coach to look at your stroke and describe your problem. Here's a couple links on nausea and swimming: http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=144&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en&mid=196&ItemId=1473 http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5649 http://www.google.com/custom?q=nausea&cof=S%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.usms.org%2F%3BAH%3Acenter%3BLH%3A80%3BL%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.usms.org%2Fgraphics%2Fusms200.gif%3BLW%3A196%3BAWFID%3A949d055463504885%3B&sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usms.org
                  Find the fun.
                  t_runner

I am betting I am whipping my head around like crazy. I do try to keep my head down, but I have noticed when I go to breathe, I am sometimes so desperate for air that I end up keeping it above water longer than it takes to do 1 stroke. I have tried to breathe every 3rd stroke to alternate sides constantly, but then sometimes I get out of breath and have to switch to every 2nd stroke, so yes, I imagine I am gasping for breath when I do come up. Swimming makes me feel like I am very out of shape, because 2 lengths of the pool is about all I can handle without a rest without being totally winded. Hopefully this is just due to my poor form, because I would like to do a triathlon some day, and I certainly couldn't swim for 1/4 mile straight now! I normally go in the morning with an empty stomach. I don't drink anything during the workout, maybe a rookie mistake, would you guys hydrate during a 30-40 minute swim? I don't think of drinking water when I am surrounded by it.. Also I wouldn't hydrate during a 30-40 minute run, although I am sure the two are very different. Trailsurfer, I bet you're right, a coach analyzing my form could help a LOT. I never formally learned how to swim even as a kid, I just kind of got in the pool, read a few articles and got a few verbal tips from a swimmer friend, and then flail away. Other swimmers are probably laughing at me in the pool!! Reading those articles also got me thinking, I should definitely try some open water swimming before I do a triathlon! Thanks for the advice everybody!
                    btb1490

I was gonna go with the inner ear/vertigo theory. Getting water in your ear and then sloshing it around can make things go woozy and can lead to nausea. The other thing I was thinking, besides swallowing funky pool water, was a post nasal drip caused by the chlorine in the water and in the air. That could also lead to a sick stomach. I hope you get it figured out. Swimming technique is tough to master, but stick with it, it's worth it when you get the hang of it and makes things a lot more enjoyable!
                      t_runner

Swimming technique is tough to master, but stick with it, it's worth it when you get the hang of it and makes things a lot more enjoyable!
                        That is exactly what I am hoping for! Thanks!
                        t_runner

Oops, double post.
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I was gonna go with the inner ear/vertigo theory. Getting water in your ear and then sloshing it around can make things go woozy and can lead to nausea.
                            Truer words have never been written. T, do you get just nauseous, or do you feel like your eyes and balance are off? If you are queasy and your eyes feel like they are spazzing around and your balance is off, then I would definitely suspect vertigo/inner ear infection issues. I have chronic problems with this and it is really awful. But it's never just stomach upset...it always feels like my eyes are floating around and unable to determine up from down. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

t_runner

Truer words have never been written. T, do you get just nauseous, or do you feel like your eyes and balance are off? If you are queasy and your eyes feel like they are spazzing around and your balance is off, then I would definitely suspect vertigo/inner ear infection issues. I have chronic problems with this and it is really awful. But it's never just stomach upset...it always feels like my eyes are floating around and unable to determine up from down. k
                              Hey Kirsten - that sounds really awful! For me, it's just been nausea. I guess I can now say I am lucky compared to what you get! I may try to get out and swim tonight and be more conscious of where my head is, especially when I am going up to breathe. I also emailed the swim director at the rec to see if she knew of any adult classes or coaches that work there... Thanks all! T
                              tri_gurl

Hi, I have had the same problem as well with swimming in open water and even pools with lines painted on the bottom. For a couple of years I had motion sickness, unable to walk ,nausea and would take up to 40mins to recover ....sometimes throwing up. I got the same thing when I skied on a day where there is limited or no visibility! It got so bad I started taking Gravol.....recently I had my ears flushed out....i had a ton of ear wax. I have been swimming since and have had little or no symptoms, It has nothing to do with your swimming technique! tri_gurl