Talk to me about using alternatives to gels (Read 358 times)

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

+1

Also has ~20 more calories than avg gel

organic honey stingers....more fluid(ish) than Gu but easier on the GI

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
    Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

dirtroadrunner

Thinking about getting theses soon.

organic honey stingers....more fluid(ish) than Gu but easier on the GI

dirtroadrunner

This looks awesome too. had some great reviews

I've gotten some of this to try recently - unfortunately I've only been on one run approaching 2 hours since due to something going on with my knee, but it might be something to consider:  On the one run I did do so far, there were no stomach problems and I never felt hungry.  Brought nothing with me other than my handheld.

http://www.tailwindnutrition.com/

dirtroadrunner

I've been using the GU brand. some taste good its just the after effects that are killer. Wish I had your stomach Wink

I can eat anything - I like gels when running a marathon, because I can eat them at a high effort level.  If I am running slower - I will eat anything.  I often have bunches of misc stuff from race bags etc I will eat.  Last longer trial run I ate FRS Energy squares.  Maybe you need better gels?

dirtroadrunner

Thank you for all the info. I will look at the candy corns too. I'm afraid to try dates for fear of the same issue. Guess there is really only one way to find out!

I mix my own gel when I need it (I don't use gel on training runs, and have done up to 26 miles at training run pace "on empty").

I mix 3:1:1 honey, black-strap molasses, and water.  I add a pinch of salt to the flask.  It's been a lot easier on my stomach than gels, and I've used it for a 50 miler and 50K.

Of course, during ultras I will also eat cookies if they are available.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
              Emil Zatopek

Besides everything else mentioned there are cliff shot blocks too.  If the problem is raw sugar though, not sure any of these are great solutions.  Some people eat ginger candy to settle their stomach.  Maybe try that before switching to something else?  Depending on your pace and goal time you may be able to just get down solid food, but this is usually only an option for 50-100 miles or if you are running >11:00 pace.

After about 35 miles or so my stomach tends to seize up during a 50 miler, this is the equivalent of 10-15 gels.  Eventually I get past it, how long are you running?  Maybe you are overcarbing?

I like the shot blocks, too. I've also used Life Savers gummies. Every time I've tried a gel, I get that "punched in the stomach" feeling within a few minutes.

Arimathea

Tessa

60 gels?! Dang, that's expensive!

When they're in season I carry a few of those little tangerines, easy to peel on the run and tart-sweet and high potassium. In an ultra I will eat just about anything -- potato chips, jelly beans, granola bars. Last Saturday's race had watermelon, strawberries, and popsicles, all of which were great as high fluid foods.

dirtroadrunner

I am only up to 12 miles. I only use them on 10 or more. I know lots of people don't use gel that soon. Maybe I can learn not too.

Besides everything else mentioned there are cliff shot blocks too.  If the problem is raw sugar though, not sure any of these are great solutions.  Some people eat ginger candy to settle their stomach.  Maybe try that before switching to something else?  Depending on your pace and goal time you may be able to just get down solid food, but this is usually only an option for 50-100 miles or if you are running >11:00 pace.

After about 35 miles or so my stomach tends to seize up during a 50 miler, this is the equivalent of 10-15 gels.  Eventually I get past it, how long are you running?  Maybe you are overcarbing?

bhearn

60 gels?! Dang, that's expensive!

I buy Hammer Gel in the bulk bottles, and use the 6-gel flasks.

I fuel with  "fruit and grain strawberry filled bars" (link below) They are softer than fig newtons but give you a little more substance than a gel. They are hard to get down sometimes, I just take tiny bites and let it dissolve for a while in my mouth.  140 cals and 26 carbs. They keep ya going. I ate about 1 1/4 during my last marathon. I probably should have ate the full 2 that I brought.  Be careful when drinking sports drinks and eating these as you may get sour / sugar overload.  I try to time my sports drink and this bar 15-20 minutes apart. Washing the bar down with straight water.

http://www.shopwell.com/kroger-cereal-bars-fruit-and-grain-strawberry/granola-cereal-bars/p/1111088669

Link to these grain bars ^^^

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

joescott

, or Gatorade in a marathon, 

+1.  You can get enough calories for a marathon just from Gatorade.  That gooey stuff all makes me nauseous.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

joescott

Yes, probably you should be able to cover 12 miles without taking in any calories.  There is plenty of energy in your body (muscle glycogen) to cover that distance without adding any more.  But if your goals include working up to a marathon then it's not a bad idea to train your body to take in those calories along the way as you are doing, but I might save that until you get north of 16-18 miles.

I am only up to 12 miles. I only use them on 10 or more. I know lots of people don't use gel that soon. Maybe I can learn not too.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Oh roo roooo!

Just my 2 cents--different brands of gels DO make a difference to some of us, so just b/c GU upsets your stomach does not mean all brands will do the same.  Also some flavors have no caffeine, some have caffeine and some have double caffeine, so there is that variation even within brands.

For me, Cliff Shot Blocks (especially the margarita flavor, which has salt, which I seem to need more than the average person) are great.  However, I tried Cliff gels and found that they make me look for a portapotty or convenient bush in pretty short order.  WTF?  But the point being that gels ARE convenient in a race and that maybe some experimentation w/brands and caffeine levels would help.