What's the best running shoes to battle plantar fasciitis with? (Read 175 times)

I've had it with my Asics Gel Cumulus, they've been painful for me lately.  I average around 10 miles per day, so I need something I can deal with for all that time.  I looked at this list Best Running Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis – Why You Need One and right now after trying them I'm interested in Brooks Adrenaline.  My problem with them though is I'm having problems finding them online in my size for the right price and they don't come cheap either.  Well they are priced about the same as my Asics online but I can't find them in my size.  That's why I was wondering what other great alternatives are out there that you might know of?

DaBurger

But Brooks Adrenalines are so mainstream, you gotta get a fresh new shoe that no one's heard of before!

Know thyself.

Walk-Jogger

I kept the same shoes (Mizuno Ronin's) but added Sole brand arch support inserts to cure my plantar fasciitis and other foot pains from collapsing arches and arthritis. I had to go up a half-size shoe to make it fit comfortably with the inserts. It works well to keep the PF at bay, until I run a race in flats with no supports, and then I'm in pain again for a week or three . . .

Retired &  Loving It

Thanks Cecil I already did something similar to my Asics Gel Cumulus and added these arch supports Powerstep-Pinnacle-Orthopedic-Insoles-Support to them.  And they work very well.  I can run 10 or more miles more comfortably in my shoes now.  That bandage repair will work for the time being.  My next step though is to find more comfortable shoes.  At first Asics Gel Cumulus were comfortable but I'm afraid those days are gone now.  It doesn't help that they keep changing the shoe's design from generation to generation too.

Dream Maker

There's no best shoe to battle PF. It can have different causes.

I had to drop down from Adrenaline I'd worn for a decade to less supportive shoes. (not minimalist, just a step down) to improve mine.

Wish I'd done it before I got the $500 custom orthotics from the podiatrist that made it worse.

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

+1 to this.

I had to drop down from Adrenaline I'd worn for a decade to less supportive shoes. (not minimalist, just a step down) to improve mine.

Wish I'd done it before I got the $500 custom orthotics from the podiatrist that made it worse.

+1   agreed on this about no best shoe.  every person/every shoe is different. Every case of PF is different.  just have to find what works best for you.

going from the neutral Gel Cumulus to the stability shoe Adreneline is quite a jump.  how about the Brooks Ravenna or the Asics GT 1000?   both stability shoes but a notch down from the Adreneline.

bap

It's not a matter of shoes, you have to get pf treated. I put up with mine for months until it became too painful to run.I haven't run more than a couple of times since October and now I'm walking around on bloody crutches.

A sports medicine doc or a chiropractor who treats runners would be a good starting point.

Certified Running Coach
                  Crocked since 2013

It's not a matter of shoes, you have to get pf treated. I put up with mine for months until it became too painful to run.I haven't run more than a couple of times since October and now I'm walking around on bloody crutches.

A sports medicine doc or a chiropractor who treats runners would be a good starting point.

I still believe my case can be corrected with shoes though, especially since I switched insoles in my shoes and was able to improve my comfort level with them.  At the same time too, I'm really sorry to hear about the pain you're going through and pray you recover as soon as possible.

Adrenaline is often recommended as a stability shoe for over pronators, believed to be a cure for PF. PF got better, but not completely rid

I had Adrenaline plus custom orthotics. I went to a different store, and they suggested that the combination of a stability shoe and a cstoms orthotics was unnecessary, or even counter-productive. They suggested a neutral shoe, the Glycerin. I have been extremely happy with this orthotic-Glycerin combination ever since

However, several disclaimers:

- Generally, when trying to get rid of PF, you try at least 15 different remedies simultaneously, so very difficult to know which one is actually making the difference (if any)

- Sometimes, PF comes and goes for no logical or evident reason

- Anyone who has suffered from PF should adopt the AA motto: " My name is xxxxxx, I am a PF sufferer" and "One day at a time"

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

NHLA

Sorry PF sucks.  NB minimus shoes helped me.

Try to find out what is causing PF.  Mine was a tight left calf.