Sub 15 5k goal (Read 833 times)

I want to get back in sub 15 shape again but am no longer in college and don't have a training group. I have managed to run 25 mpw for the last few years, but have a hard time going any further. Last 5k was 15:43. Any advice for a person with no training group, new to an area?

Feeling the growl again

Your profile says you are a grad student.  What is giving you a "hard time" running more than 25mpw?  That may lead to some more specific advice.

What kind of mileage were you doing to go sub-15?  If you really did run 15:43 off 25mpw you have unusual speed and talent so that may affect what it would take to be sub-15 again...as would whether you were a 14:55 guy or a 14:30 guy.

Grad school should be a pretty good time to train.  I was probably in sub-15 shape in grad school...with no training group...but it took me 100+ mpw for long stretches to get there.  On 25mpw I'm not even a 17min runner.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

I want to get back in sub 15 shape again but am no longer in college and don't have a training group. I have managed to run 25 mpw for the last few years, but have a hard time going any further. Last 5k was 15:43. Any advice for a person with no training group, new to an area?

Join the 2000 mile group, make some virtual friends. Ask at the local runner store if there's a group that meets up. Get that sub15 now, grad school is a great time to train.

JimR

So far I'm progressing well and I think I can... ...whoops!!!....wrong thread!

Here in the UK there are athletics clubs all over the place and generally they welcome members of all ages and abilities. Maybe it's different in the US, where a lot of the focus seems to be around school or college track and field?

Feeling the growl again

Here in the UK there are athletics clubs all over the place and generally they welcome members of all ages and abilities. Maybe it's different in the US, where a lot of the focus seems to be around school or college track and field?

It varies a great deal by location, but while most major cities have "running clubs", in my experience most of them don't have a lot to offer someone of sub-15 caliber.  There are notable exceptions.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills