How long did it take you? (Read 1411 times)

Double IPA Please!

Started running seriously again in August of 07..Im registerd for the Lottery Picking for the ING NY *IF* I get in (highly doubtful) it will be over a year..if I don't I am going to do one next spring. My first race however (10miles) was about 8 months after re-starting. Even then, I feel I could have used a bit more training for it. My next one is in a couple of weeks (10) and then Im back to base building for the fall which I have a couple of halfs scheduled.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Better yet, it could say HTFU - and the day is mine! Big grin
      Mine's gonna say, "Suck it, Trebek!"

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Big grin, if I saw a sign like that, with a good fake beard to match, I think I would just stop running the race. No way I could finish it laughing all the way.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If you get that bracelet, then I have to get "Turd Furguson - it's a funny name." Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I have no plans at this point to ever run a marathon; I like the half, and it seems a good distance for me. By the way, you should train very nearly the same mileage for a half as for a full marathon, long run should be over 30k to run a strong half in my non-expert opinion. If you are married, your spouse may tolerate waving goodbye at the start, going for a meal, and watching you finish your half 1:45 later, but may not be so keen on waiting 4 hours for the finish of a marathon.http://www.runningahead.com/images/forum/emo_smile_big.gif Big grin

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

geekfarm@centurytel.net

Just about 4 months. I had worked my miles up to around 25 a week so I thought doing it all in one day was saving time. In reallity I just wanted to see what it was like. I did it in 4hrs 29 min. I hit the wall hard at 20 miles and just managed to survive to the end. That was last year and doing my next in 2 weeks.
              celiacChris

3Days4Cure

If my plans work out, it will be close to 2.5 years before I run a marathon (my goal is MCM in 2009). I refuse to even think of training for it unless I have at least 6 months of 25-35 mile weeks (I should break 20 mpw in June and keep building from there). Slow and steady means that when you finally reach the goal, it is something you are healthy for, can savor, and then go for again. I don't have enough running experience to confirm this outlook, but everything else in life works that way, so why not running.

Chris
                PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If you are married, your spouse may tolerate waving goodbye at the start, going for a meal, and watching you finish your half 1:45 later, but may not be so keen on waiting 4 hours for the finish of a marathon.
                  Ha, DH discovered that there is a cycling shop maybe around the halfway point of the marathon I will be doing in the fall. So he has at least 2 hours to shop there while I race. Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ha, DH discovered that there is a cycling shop maybe around the halfway point of the marathon I will be doing in the fall. So he has at least 2 hours to shop there while I race. Evil grin
                    He could do a lot of damage there in two hours. You better run fast.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

He could do a lot of damage there in two hours. You better run fast.
                      Good thing Milwaukee is almost entirely on a slight downhill... Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

C-R

Good thing Milwaukee is almost entirely on a slight downhill... Evil grin
                        I only have one thought for you - carbon wound Cannondale frame with all the component trimmings. Run fast Zoom as that will two hours will be more expensive than hiring the Stones to play your birthday.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Doing structured running for 7 yrs, although it's only been the last 3+ yr that have been year round (rather than winter only) - and some random short jogging for many years before that. I haven't run a marathon yet and don't have one planned. However, there are a couple trail races, that happen to be 26.2 mi approx, that I've considered doing some day but require more travel. We have some longer races that aren't as far away that I'm aiming toward this year.
                          "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I only have one thought for you - carbon wound Cannondale frame with all the component trimmings. Run fast Zoom as that will two hours will be more expensive than hiring the Stones to play your birthday.
                            Um...is that more $$ than his full carbon Roubaix Pro? Hopefully he only comes out with some components. There won't be room for a new bike in the car (and I think I should nix him bringing the rack).

~ Sarah Kay

Kings Canyon NP 07'

It took me about 11 months to do my first. Big Sur (not fun with only 11 months of non-hill training). It was not until my third that I began to enjoy it, after the base was built it becomes much easier. Now I am in a lazy rut.

left-right-left-right-repeat