accelerated training: can I run a sub 3 hour marathon with a 2 month program? (Read 231 times)

bap

You should be able to run sub 3 based on your 5K and 8K times but a sub 1:20 half would be a good indicator that you are ready.

Certified Running Coach
    Crocked since 2013

delicate flower

It's easy to say sub-3 isn't a big deal when you've already done it or can routinely bang them out.  For slowasses like me, it'd be a pretty big milestone to achieve and it is something to chase.  Sub-4 used to be a big deal to me, and now it's not.  So, you just have a different perspective when you've yet to actually achieve it.    Someday I hope I can say sub-3 isn't a big deal.  Right now, it is a big a deal.

<3

joescott

Oh, c'mon you guys who are saying that 3:00 is "arbitrary" and relatively meaningless!!!   You should all know better.

The first time I crossed the line and the first number on the clock was a "2" it was pretty darn cool, and I won't ever forget that one.  It doesn't matter if it's 5:59 or 4:59 or 19:59 or 2:59:59 everybody knows very well that crossing those "magical" boundaries is pretty special.  Yeah, maybe this guy should eventually set his sites a little higher (er, lower), and at some point maybe he will be chasing 2:39... or 2:29, but I'll bet he will CARE and not view it as "arbitrary" if the clock says 2:30:00 versus 2:29:50.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Why is it sideways?

I know it's not arbitrary in the world of running and it is a magical number for many, many people. But it really shouldn't be for this guy.

This is exactly the same thread as "can I run a sub 4 hour marathon with a 2 month program" or "can I run a sub 6 hour marathon with a 2 month program?"

The answer is the same in all of those threads and requires no thought at all: absolutely, if you are talented enough.

Possible but depends on your recent background (past 6 mo). 6'1" 178 is pretty good sized for peak marathoning--that's more like 400-800 m build--but if you're lean and strong you can muscle through.

In my early 40s I did 2:44 off of a light summer (40 mpw) and moderate fall (avg 55-60) training for CIM.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough.  For the OP, sub-3 is arbitrary.

arbitrary:  "based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system."

As Spaniel pointed out, the OP has very little in the way of running going on right now.  And as Jeff asked, why in two months?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it