Ditch the training plan 5 weeks out from half marathon or trust the training? (Read 134 times)

onefatchick

I have been following a half marathon training plan since the beginning of Dec 2015 and now closing in on the last 5 weeks before the actual race.  The plan was fairly conservative and called for mostly easy running which I have been doing.  My weekly mileage had been building from ~20-25mpw to ~ 40mpw (long run will top out at 14),  which I have been able to handle without injury or overuse stress/ strains due to it being mostly easy miles.

The trouble is, 5 weeks out and there is very little focus on runs at half marathon pace or faster.   Once a week until race there is a day focused on pace that is fairly close to hm pace, but they are for the most part broken down into intervals  and still slower than my previous  hm race pace and seem to be on the low side mileage-wise as well.   I am wondering if I should still do the "speed work" that is called for in the plan, but substitute one of the easy days for a day with 20-30 minutes of continuous running at hm pace?  Right now, due to all the slow, easy miles, I don't feel like I could hold 30 minutes at hm pace for the life of me, but 20 might be doable.  Mentally I don't feel any confidence in my current plan to even come close to what I ran in my first half marathon a year ago.  Would there be too much risk of injury substituting an easy day for a hard day?  Should I just trust the plan as written and if things don't work out consider it a lesson learned?

Half Crazy K 2.0

I've been loosely following a Hudson plan for a half next Sunday. Typically there was a day of shorter intervals or hills, a longish run with some miles at 10k or HM pace and a long run. For me, the HM pace runs helped me get used to how the pace would feel. I did up to just over 6 mes (1 hour) at hm effort. With 5 weeks to go, I would think you could add in a day with HM pace, especially if your other days are easy. Could you work in some HM pace work at the end your long runs? Like 10-20 minutes,?

ETA, last year I ran the same race, but did not make the decision until 6 weeks before the race. I had started a training plan, but was targeting a later race. I had been doing mostly easy runs, most of the treadmill. I started with some HM pace runs, I think I started with maybe 3 miles at first, and worked up to 6. So, yea, it's possible to change mid course.

MoBramExam

The greatest risk in altering the plan in the manner you speak would be adding a significant amount of new intensity at a time when you are at an all time high in volume.  Based on your last half marathon, and all races since, it appears your half marathon pace is the same as before.  Another option you may consider is substituting your personal half marathon pace for the plan's "fairly close to hm" pace in the once a week intervals.  You'd be training at pace you've proven you can handle, and hopefully the time at half marathon pace will serve as a psychological boost to your confidence going into your race.  After that, its like you said, if it doesn't work out, lesson learned

GinnyinPA

I rarely do speedwork, thanks to a hamstring that tends to act up when I run fast.  Yet when race day comes, I can run a lot faster than my easy runs.  Just ramping up mileage was enough to take 8 minutes off my HM time between my first and my second, a year later.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

HM pace isn't overly fast in the scope of speedwork. It's slower than Threshold pace, which is slower than Intervals, which is slower than some 200s/400s (Daniel's lingo). I honestly keep speedwork up through the week before a race. You won't be seeing me run anything long, but I wouldn't shy away from doing 5 miles at MP or something like that.

One good take-away from this training session is that you probably need to a more custom plan in the future.

- Andrew

keeponrunning

I rarely do speedwork, thanks to a hamstring that tends to act up when I run fast.  Yet when race day comes, I can run a lot faster than my easy runs.  Just ramping up mileage was enough to take 8 minutes off my HM time between my first and my second, a year later.

This is basically what I was going to say.  I do very little speedwork outside the occasional tempo run.  By increasing mileage and consistency, I've taken over 21 minutes off my half time in under 3 years.  I am a fair bit slower than you (1:57:11 was my latest PR), but I've had my mileage consistent for the last year at about where you've peaked for this race.

I think at this point adding speedwork would be risking injury.  You've almost doubled your weekly mileage since December (which in itself is a huge accomplishment), so I'd suggest sticking with the plan for this race, then maybe for your next race look for a plan/create a plan that includes more specific speedwork.

MTA:  My second half was 4 minutes faster than my first, just due to a bit wiser pacing, more days/week, and a slight increase in mileage.  My third half was 6.5 minutes faster than that.  Trust the training!  Smile

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

kilkee

runktrun

I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest that you DO add some more intensity...BUT do it wisely.  Since this is not your first rodeo and you've been running consistently and know what to expect from a half, I think you should try adding in a little bit of speed.  A few more miles at your half goal pace will help, as will a little bit of work at closer to 5k effort.  I would suggest trying to finish a long or medium-long run that  is already on the schedule with 2-3mi at goal half pace. Make sure the following day is a true recovery run. Then, on another easy day, finish your regular run with 4 x :30 at 5k effort.  It should feel fast but smooth and easy.  Becoming more efficient at paces much faster than goal pace will help your running economy at the slower race paces.  The key is to introduce some faster work into an easy day but NOT trash yourself on that easy day, if that makes sense.  You could also take that faux-interval session (that you say is short intervals at close to HM pace) and lengthen the rep or shorten the rest interval.  Eg: if the plan calls for 6 x 800 @ HM pace, try 3 x 1mi or even 2 x 2mi @ HM pace.  This will get you closer to simulating the prolonged race effort.

Obviously don't change anything drastically, and stop if you pull or tweak anything running the faster paces.  Since you're not running super high mileage, you could afford to modify your training plan up to about 2 weeks out.  With 2 weeks to go, revert back to the planned taper.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I second what Brrr said, I don't find HM pace overly taxing on my body. I actually feel better when I do long runs that have some sort of variety in them. Can you substitute some longer running at your current HM pace for the speed day?

I am of the unlucky group that more miles does not equal more speed. Or at least it hasn't as of yet. I'll see next week if the latest uptick in miles makes any difference in a half.

onefatchick

I really appreciate all the advice here.  I've decided to do some hm pace miles in my long runs and turn the "speed work" day into a 2 x 2 miles at 10k pace runs.  Strides I have been doing, but don't really think I've benefitted from them fitness-wise. Hopefully I won't beat myself up too much.

JimR

Just about any training plan you find will have you both upping volume and upping intensity at the same time and IMO that's a big mistake so it's good that you found one that keeps key focus on one aspect.  The once-a-week run at hm pace would be plenty, I wouldn't go adding anything more.

Joann Y

I really appreciate all the advice here.  I've decided to do some hm pace miles in my long runs and turn the "speed work" day into a 2 x 2 miles at 10k pace runs.  Strides I have been doing, but don't really think I've benefitted from them fitness-wise. Hopefully I won't beat myself up too much.

I don't have a whole lot to add other than don't ditch the strides. They are a kind of neuromuscular conditioning, teaching your body to recruit additional muscle fibers and/or motor units, that adds benefit as sort of a primer to a workout or race that you are just about to do (on that same day) or the next day. Try strides (or 8-10 second hills sprints) the day before a workout and see if you notice a difference. I personally think it's kind of amazing (how much easier the workout is! and how powerful I feel doing it!) and would love for someone that is better at explaining things to chime in. Some people do them 3-4 times a week, I think to keep in touch with basic speed as well as for the reasons stated above. In any case, I think your consistency week to week, your curiosity, and your willingness to experiment and figure out what works is key!