Ads are launched (Read 2086 times)

Hood to Coast 2013

Eric,

Thanks again for such a great site!  The ads are unobtrusive, but nevertheless it was a good reminder for me to donate.  You have my support, along with a ton of other users, ads or not.  Keep up the most awesome work, I appreciate it!

Kevin

eric :)

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your support!

eric Smile

Eric,

Thanks again for such a great site!  The ads are unobtrusive, but nevertheless it was a good reminder for me to donate.  You have my support, along with a ton of other users, ads or not.  Keep up the most awesome work, I appreciate it!

Kevin

The ads appearing was a reminder for me to donate again too. Hard to believe it has already been a year.  Still love the site and definitely worth the $10 per year or the ads.

Andy

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

xor

Disclaimer: The following is a humorous observation, not a complaint about ads nor silly ad engines, which can't really know the level of detail required to ensure such a situation doesn't happen.

A couple weeks ago I bought a road ID.  Wee.  I needed a new one because contact phone numbers had all changed.  No problem.

Ever since then, I've been assaulted by ads for road ID.  Seriously, over 50% of the ads I've gotten in the last week have been for road ID.

Ok, ok.

I already BOUGHT a road ID.  A  road ID is an every-once-in-a-blue-moon purchase.

Nothing like presenting me with a ton of ads for a product I just bought, which I absolutely do not need right now.

Hehehe.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Disclaimer: The following is a humorous observation, not a complaint about ads nor silly ad engines, which can't really know the level of detail required to ensure such a situation doesn't happen.

A couple weeks ago I bought a road ID.  Wee.  I needed a new one because contact phone numbers had all changed.  No problem.

Ever since then, I've been assaulted by ads for road ID.  Seriously, over 50% of the ads I've gotten in the last week have been for road ID.

Ok, ok.

I already BOUGHT a road ID.  A  road ID is an every-once-in-a-blue-moon purchase.

Nothing like presenting me with a ton of ads for a product I just bought, which I absolutely do not need right now.

Hehehe.

That happens to me all. the. time.  Those are wasted ad imprints.  Seems like Google could be more successful with their ads by recommending sites that I haven't already visited in the past month.  I wonder if there's any rationale to that.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

There is.

See, theoretically we visit sites all the time that we DONT buy stuff from.  So targeting stuff we have recently seen (or similar products from competitors) pokes our brains about stuff we have a theoretical interest in.  Whereas showing us an ad for a product we looked at months ago is showing us something we have either "moved on" from (and no longer care about) or something we HAVE likely purchased. Which is why we don't visit that site anymore.

It makes a lot more sense to target ads at stuff we've had a recent interest in than stuff we have not.  However, it can't really tell if we have also recently acted upon that interest.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It makes a lot more sense to target ads at stuff we've had a recent interest in than stuff we have not.  However, it can't really tell if we have also recently acted upon that interest.

Good point.

~ Sarah Kay

xor

I did not help my situation by writing "road ID" in this thread.  Ha.

And maybe I have seeded it for anyone else who opens this thread too.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nope, I see an ad for DVOR (?) and ITT.

~ Sarah Kay