Nike Free Run *Shield* (Read 933 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Has anyone tried this version of the Nike Free Run 3?  I really love my 3s, but am wondering whether that reflective/waterproof upper is worth the added cost over the regular Free Runs.  I used to wear the Lunarflys and was not a fan of the Lunarfly Trail, since that weatherized upper made the overall fit of the shoe too snug--upsizing would not have worked, as the arches would have hit my foot in the wrong spot.  And the trails just plain felt too stiff overall.  I suspect that this could be the case with the Shield, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

#artbydmcbride

I didn't try them on, but I inspected them at the shoe store and they looked exactly the same, and felt the same weight.  One seemed to have more reflective shine on the logo though.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's good to hear.  I may have to try to find a pair locally, though I suspect the chain stores won't have the shield model and I may have to trek an hour to the nearest running store.

~ Sarah Kay

Zoomy-  I would recommend that you check out Altra shoes.  They are zero drop but with cusioning. 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't know that I'm ready for 0, yet.  I have a pair of Brooks PureFlows which are 4, IIRC.  I think the Nike Free Runs are 6mm, which is about perfect for me, at this point.  Baby steps...it wasn't that many years ago that I was running in shoes with 12mm drops.  I tend to pedal pointy-toed, so I suspect my calf muscles are going to take a while to really stretch to be comfortable with 0 drop shoes.  The Brooks tend to make my calves kinda cranky.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

I don't know anything about Nike Free but I'm on my sixth pair of Lunarglides. I tried the "Shield" version in the store thinking they might be good for the winter and found them to be overly snug and stiff, not like the Lunarglides I knew. Perhaps they would be different after breaking them in. Dunno.

I'd like to give a shout out to good wool running socks.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahhh...this is what I suspected could be the case after wearing the Lunarfly Trails, which also have some sort of weatherized/water-resistant upper.  They didn't even feel like the same shoe on my foot, even though they looked and felt pretty much the same from the outside.  I only wore those for a handful of runs before I gave up on them.  They fit me so poorly compared to the regular road version of the shoe.

I already wear Smartwool socks and generally wear heavier ones for Winter.  I definitely wouldn't have room in a shoe for those if it were any snugger.  Chances are those will be enough.  The Free Runs are just so light and ventilated that I fear cold feet if we get the sort of Winter that I'm hearing is predicted (kind of the opposite of last Winter...I loved that sort of non-winter).

~ Sarah Kay

Purdey

Self anointed title

One seemed to have more reflective shine on the logo though.

I'm sold.

#artbydmcbride

I'm sold.

You're their target!  Blush

Runners run