Tackling a 'marathon' without adequate training (Read 199 times)

In a little under 2 weeks I will be taking part in the White Peak Walk:

http://www.whitepeakwalk.co.uk/

This is a 26 mile challenge walk around the UK Peak District.

I have done this numerous times in the past, mainly before I started running some three years ago, when walking was my 'thing', and when I was a bit of a 15 stone fatty. Not a problem to complete in 7-8 hours.

I entered again this year (for old times sake) and it has kinda crept up on me. It's right around the corner and I haven't really prepared for it. I haven't done any long-distance walking for about a year, and a few months ago when I had a 10 mile jaunt with a friend I ached considerably the following day. I am therefore somewhat nervous about walking the full 26 miles.

On the other hand, I'm running well (for me) at the moment. I completed a half marathon a couple of weeks back in 1:46, and I am currently averaging about 25 miles/week injury free.

So my idea is to run-walk the 26 miles. Many entrants run the whole course anyway, and I figure run-walking will (a) reduce the amount of time I spend walking, and (b) mean I stand a good chance of being, as we English say, "home in time for tea".

BUT it is a marathon, and the furthest I have ever run before is the half marathon. So, any advice on how to mix the running and walking, when to gel, anything I might usefully do in the next 10 days, etc,  would be well received.

Thanks

Never been to the Americas, but how many of you guys have ever been to Derby?

Latent Runner

With a 1:46 half marathon under your belt I'd say if you run two and walk one for the first 20 miles, you should then be able to gauge how much left you have in the tank for the last 6.2(ish) miles.  Good luck.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
      kk_kittenkat

I don't think anything you do in the next 10 days will make any difference. I managed to be an official pacer in the London marathon off a long run of 6 miles, so anything is possible Smile