Training log - how do you track your quality runs? (Read 526 times)

Hi everyone.  I'm fairly new to the site and am getting used to the running log.  I have imported all of my old data from Sporttracks.  I have a question about tracking quality runs.

From this point forward, when I upload my GPS data, I am wondering about categorizing the run.  For example, if I run 7 miles with 3 at tempo pace, do I just classify the whole run as tempo, or is there any reason I would want to break it up into tempo/easy?  I am not following a plan right now, so I look back over my data to see when I last did tempo or intervals, but I wonder if there would be an advantage to breaking it up so I can track speed work in terms of percentage of total mileage.  For those of you who have used the log for a while, how do you handle this?

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

an amazing likeness

First of all, approach the log with the thought that it is your log -- use it how you want in the way that works for you.

I log the "type" based on my goal for the run.  If the objective was a tempo run, then I log it as 'tempo', even if only middle section was tempo. Or for an interval run, the first and last couple miles are warm-up and jog-home, I still log as 1 interval run and not 3 separate events.

Then I can quickly scan the workouts list (or calendar view), and see the pattern of my run types. If I want to know the specific details, I open the workout to see it.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Julia1971

I do what MilkTruck does but I've seen logs were people break it up.

I also use the log options to create interval sets so I can generate reports to find specific interval and tempo runs.

kcam

I'm the opposite of MilkTruck.  If I do 3 easy before a workout and 3 easy after the workout I always log them separately.  I like to be able to look at my Summary and see those comforting easy green bars sandwiching those intense orange/red/yellow quality workouts.  Plus I can tell at a glance of my summary page about how much of a particular run was 'qualtiy'.   Introduces some more signal into the graph page.

mikeymike

I generally use 4 workout types: easy, medium, hard and race. All workouts (ie non easy runs) including tempo, interval, hill, long runs, etc. get labelled either "medium" or "hard" based on a mostly subjective rating system. This is so I can easily distinguish the workouts from easy runs on my summary graph. Like MT, I enter the whole run as a single entry including warmup cool down and recoveries. The details are in the individual workout. It works for me.

Runners run

On RA's and similar logs, I usually log a run in its entirety, like MilkTruck - including the wu/cd with the work part. But my primary logs are in Polar's ProTrainer and a log I built in MS Access (I'm behind on entering things in my main bases now because of some upgrades, glitches, etc, but have the critical notes.). In Polar, I can see stacked bars of time in HR zones, so a tempo run may show 30min of easy and 40 min of harder stuff, similar to what kencamet likes to see. Sometimes I'll break a run in half, separating uphill (45-90min) from downhill if I lolligag on top the mountain before I come down. My Access db was used for clothes and food/fluid when I was first learning what worked for me under various conditions.

As someone said, it's your personal log. Think about how you'll use it, and log accordingly. Have fun.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

A Saucy Wench

I dont break up the entry, however I do have my GPS auto lap on the mile so I upload the splits with it.  I can look back at how much of the run was actually tempo.

If I do stuff on the TM I usually record the "quality" part as one split and the rest of it as a second split.  Sometimes I take the time to break it down into the before and after but if I know for example that I ran 5 miles @ an 8 minute mile and my total TM workout was 7.2 and 67 minutes I'll just record the "remainder" split as 2.2 : 27 minutes and make a note that about 20 minutes was warmup and rest was cooldown.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Thanks for all the input.  So it looks like there is not a "right" way to do it.   I like the idea of breaking them up, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra time to do so, in my case anyway.  

I will certainly have fun with it.  I am loving the site!

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

If you want to break the workout into separate sections, you may want to reset your watch during the workout -- that is, record the pieces separately -- to avoid having to manually monkey with them after-the-fact to achieve the desired division.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Thanks for the tip!  I hadn't thought of doing it that way, but that would definitely make it easy.

PRs:

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thanks for this question and responses. I'd been wondering about this as well and had scanned some publically available workouts to see how others posted their workouts and races. I like MilkTruck's method for workouts and now I know how to post races as well.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

If you want to break the workout into separate sections, you may want to reset your watch during the workout -- that is, record the pieces separately -- to avoid having to manually monkey with them after-the-fact to achieve the desired division.

I do this. I like to break it up because I can visually see how each type of run relates to the total volume on my reports. I can tell if my long runs are about 33% of my total volume or if my speed work is around 10% of my total volume. If I run 30 miles per week and did intervals with a warm-up and cool down totaling 10 miles, then, I would not get a good representation of my speed work if I didn't split the warm-up, workout and cool down. It would show 33% speed work against the 30 weekly miles. 

I like to see my data split up but others don't care. What are you trying to achieve?

an amazing likeness

One of the neat things about the RA log is how flexible it is, as this discussion shows.  It's neat to skim other people's logs and look at how they've decided to do it and adopt the parts you like.

(To illiustrate, If you look at the boxing glove lady's and my log...you'll see a striking similarity in layout, but difference in workout recording.)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I'm glad I could help, wcrunner(2), after all the helpful advice you've given me and others over the years.

What am I trying to achieve?   I'd like to have a graph with lots and lots of tall, colorful bars.  No, honestly, I'm not sure which way would be best.  I'm usually following some training program but for the rest of the winter, I'll be winging it and just running what I feel like running.  After giving it some thought, I'm leaning towards just categorizing the entire run as tempo or interval, because I think the most important thing for me will be to have the ability to scan through my past daily workouts to see if it's time to throw in another speed work session.  If I'm interested in speed work as a percentage of the weekly total, that would be easy enough to analyze without breaking it out.

PRs: