Need a 3.5-inch folding knife for trail running and hiking (Read 199 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I read somewhere that the best weapon to fend off geese and wild turkeys is an umbrella.  Open it.  Point it at 'em.  Makes you look big or nuts or something.  Try it and report back to us.

I think I'd rather run with a 3.5-inch folding knife than an umbrella.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Right you are.  If you want to run in Big Basin or Henry Cowell in July .... that's mountain lion territory.  Bring your folding knife!

Nah....lions attack from behind....I just have to not be the slowest in the group.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

yager

Thanks for all of your valuable comments and recommendations.  I am fully aware that a knife, even a gun, isn't going to be a decent protection against wild animals, such as cougars or bears.  Even a small peaceful chimpanzee is stronger and faster than anybody in this world.  If a big cat attacks from behind on purpose, nothing can help.  I am risk averse in general while enjoying the natural environment, letting animals know where you are (you cannot hide) and staying vigilant are my primary way to mitigate the risk.

That being said, having a knife might be better than nothing in some scenarios. I am imagining that if a coyote blocks my way, I back off but it comes closer ... things like that.  My idea is that having a small weapon might give my family more time to run away or seek help, I am not expecting I could win, I think even a soldier may not.  Well this may never happen, at least I haven't heard such things.

By the way, is the large bear spray useful for other animals?  I guess dogs/coyotes might be sensitive to that smells.  Is it only designed for bears?

Back to folding knife, it seems Spyderco is a good choice with reasonable price.  I am not sure if there is any knife show in my city, Big5 sporting goods doesn't have a lot of knives as far as I remember.  So Amazon is my primary choice for shopping (not just running related purchase). I've seen the following two:

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-C12SBK2-Matriarch-2-SpyderEdge/dp/B007ESS75G/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=312O78SFSN4KA&coliid=I1Z4D48SOH91DW

this looks interesting.  In term of self defense, is this S-type blade more effective than a "normal" one?

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tenacious-Handle-Folding-Plain/dp/B001EI7578/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=312O78SFSN4KA&coliid=I2HS96I79HQDA5&psc=1

I guess for cutting fruits Tenacious is good, Matriarch may be good for cutting ropes, etc.  However if you want to fight another person or large dog/coyote, which one would you use?

yager

Big grin especially choosing between with knife opened or with umbrella opened.

yager

unless you are with your family.  But nothing can help, even pray.

Nah....lions attack from behind....I just have to not be the slowest in the group.  Big grin

Feeling the growl again

That being said, having a knife might be better than nothing in some scenarios. I am imagining that if a coyote blocks my way, I back off but it comes closer ... things like that.  My idea is that having a small weapon might give my family more time to run away or seek help, I am not expecting I could win, I think even a soldier may not.  Well this may never happen, at least I haven't heard such things.

By the way, is the large bear spray useful for other animals?  I guess dogs/coyotes might be sensitive to that smells.  Is it only designed for bears?

Back to folding knife, it seems Spyderco is a good choice with reasonable price.  I am not sure if there is any knife show in my city, Big5 sporting goods doesn't have a lot of knives as far as I remember.  So Amazon is my primary choice for shopping (not just running related purchase). I've seen the following two:

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-C12SBK2-Matriarch-2-SpyderEdge/dp/B007ESS75G/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=312O78SFSN4KA&coliid=I1Z4D48SOH91DW

The knife is 3.5 inches long.  It will only help you if you are in direct, physical contact with the animal.  It is either on top of you or you are on top of it.  I did have a situation like that with loose dogs coming after my toddler a few years back....my dog stopped them and they attacked him instead, perhaps having a knife in that situation would have been better than trying to beat them off (which did not work).

Bear spray is more potent than most other types and the applicator is designed to shoot a concentrated stream a longer distance than self-defense pepper spray.  It will work on any species....even the person using it (if you spray upwind).

I've seen Spyderco knives before.  If you are going to go that route it is a decent option.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

That knife isn't going to help you in a rainstorm.

That knife isn't going to help you in a rainstorm.

Good point. And it wouldn't help me fly, either.

Runners run

AnneCA

Faced with a mountain lion attack, improvising with the tools at hand, even a pen, can be useful.  http://www.sfgate.com/science/article/Couple-s-lesson-in-survival-from-07-cougar-attack-3658073.php

MTA:  I have come across a bobcat, coyotes, randy turkeys, and geese on my run, none of which left we wanting any tools.  The birds are the worst.  The coyotes skedaddle fast.  The bobcat did as well, but was betrayed by a crow who flew around above it broadcasting its movements.  Like I said, the birds are the worst.

flatland mountaineer

I started carrying Spyderco serrated knives as a rodeo calf roper to free yourself if you or your horse became entangled. I carried the rescue then but have had Delicas and several other models for farmer work knives. I carry a serrated Native now, for a small blade it would do wicked damage. When I was roping I practiced with it enough that now I can draw and open it in the blink of an eye. http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=178

That said I don't usually carry it running in rural Nebraska. When I run in town I always have pepper spray (actually bear spray) for dogs. I see a coyote or deer on about 50% of my long runs. My German Shepard that I take with me rolled one coyote and has caught 2 others this winter/spring but I can call her off once she catches them. She is stoopid fast for a GSD. Seriously rabid skunks scare me the most as a few here have tested positive.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

keeponrunning

Slightly off-topic, but since others have mentioned it....how do you carry bear spray on runs?  I run in bear-populated areas where there has been the odd attack on humans so I wonder if it may be a good idea to get some to carry.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Slightly off-topic, but since others have mentioned it....how do you carry bear spray on runs?  I run in bear-populated areas where there has been the odd attack on humans so I wonder if it may be a good idea to get some to carry.

I usually carry mine in its own holster on waist belt (room for it between water holster and front) if using that. On packs, I've stuck it on the shoulder strap, iirc - but toward the back, like it's almost on the waist belt. With one pack with two water bottle holsters, I may put water in one holster and bear spray in other. If I were to get a vest, I'm not sure where to stick it, but the races I'd use a vest for may not need bear spray.

I make sure it is readily available and try a couple quick draws. If you have an old can around, you can try test-firing with that, but be sure to do it away from you and away from your garage where the door wasn't completely closed (don't ask). When you see a bear charging you is not the time to realize, the canister is stuck.  (They used to pull cardboard silhouette of a bear toward us when qualifying with shotguns for field work. You'd be surprised how freaked out you can get if not used to something charging you.)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                            perryw

I'd be worried about rust if carrying it on my person while running.  Think about one of the H1 steel blades from Spyderco.  It won't rust.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=174

Amazon link

If you're worried about fighting people, get a firearm, depending on your local laws, of course.

Ostrich runner

I wouldn't count on a knife against virtually any animal and I wouldn't pull it on a human if I didn't really know how to use it. That said, if you do want one, don't get too hung up on the brand. There are many really good ones - it's more about the blade type, ease of use for your hand, dimensions, and weight. I have three that I frequently carry depending on the situation. I really like assisted opening knives that are ambidextrous. My small knife is a Kershaw Onion, my bigger one is a CRKT that I can't remember the name of (it'd be pretty heavy and aggressive to carry while running), and I have a Gerber rescue tool that I keep in my car and use while backpacking. Even using the big tactical folding knife like my CRKT would be really difficult against something like a coyote or raccoon. I'd much rather have a large stick or rock. If you really want to do some damage, you could look at tactical tomahawks that are balanced for throwing.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum