7 minute mile lesson (Read 950 times)

Tonight I learned that I'm not quite ready for the 7 minute mile pace. I started out with the plan of doing a speed workout (interval style), but as I was into my first speed portion, (supposed to be 4 minutes) I just kept on running. I ended up running two miles at the 7 minute pace and I felt like I was going to fall over. I had to slow down to a 9 minute mile, and then after just three more miles I simply had to stop. My legs were tired, and shaking. I'm not sure if what I did was at all beneficial for training, but I at least learned that I can do 2 miles at that pace. Smile I'm left with a good feeling and yet a not so good feeling, knowing that it's getting closer, but also knowing that I still have lots of work to do to get to my goal of a 21 minute 5k. Confused I just wanted to share.

Michelle

WTG! Big grin don't know if that's how you're supposed to do it but, that's hot. Cool I'd take the 2 miles and tuck it away in your brain to remind yourself, you can do it. I suprised, no shocked myself at my last 10k race! don't know where it came from but I do know that I was thinking I'd run the race and then do another 4 miles for my long run that day but I was tossed. spent. done. that was all I had. it was a great feeling. Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231

I suprised, no shocked myself at my last 10k race! don't know where it came from but I do know that I was thinking I'd run the race and then do another 4 miles for my long run that day but I was tossed. spent. done. that was all I had. it was a great feeling. Tongue
        That's cool! I guess we can't ignore our insane mind when it tells us to go the extra distance or push for a faster time, who knows when we'll be so inclined again!! My legs are spent, no doubt there.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

WTG! Big grin don't know if that's how you're supposed to do it but, that's hot. Cool I'd take the 2 miles and tuck it away in your brain to remind yourself, you can do it.
          Yup--if you can do 2 at that pace, I have no doubt that you will someday do 3. That's very fast! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wow, two miles in 14:00 is pretty freaking impressive Smile!
            2009: BQ?

The voice of mile 18

it'll won't get easier (well maybe a bit mentally) but you'll be able to keep that pace longer. great job

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

I really hope that I am able to do that pace again soon. I don't want to think it was a "fluke"....The ironic thing is that since I did that cool pace I've been out with my wonderful back strain. Hmmm, maybe I wasn't quite ready to push myself that hard...Nah, actually the back pain started about five days prior to running those two 7 min. miles. I'll be back on track again starting Sunday!! I can't wait. I am really feeling UNHEALTHY with not running.

Michelle