7 minute mile lesson (Read 949 times)

Tonight I learned that I'm not quite ready for the 7 minute mile pace. I started out with the plan of doing a speed workout (interval style), but as I was into my first speed portion, (supposed to be 4 minutes) I just kept on running. I ended up running two miles at the 7 minute pace and I felt like I was going to fall over. I had to slow down to a 9 minute mile, and then after just three more miles I simply had to stop. My legs were tired, and shaking. I'm not sure if what I did was at all beneficial for training, but I at least learned that I can do 2 miles at that pace. Smile I'm left with a good feeling and yet a not so good feeling, knowing that it's getting closer, but also knowing that I still have lots of work to do to get to my goal of a 21 minute 5k. Confused I just wanted to share.

Michelle

WTG! Big grin don't know if that's how you're supposed to do it but, that's hot. Cool I'd take the 2 miles and tuck it away in your brain to remind yourself, you can do it. I suprised, no shocked myself at my last 10k race! don't know where it came from but I do know that I was thinking I'd run the race and then do another 4 miles for my long run that day but I was tossed. spent. done. that was all I had. it was a great feeling. Tongue
      Jennifer mm#1231
        I suprised, no shocked myself at my last 10k race! don't know where it came from but I do know that I was thinking I'd run the race and then do another 4 miles for my long run that day but I was tossed. spent. done. that was all I had. it was a great feeling. Tongue
        That's cool! I guess we can't ignore our insane mind when it tells us to go the extra distance or push for a faster time, who knows when we'll be so inclined again!! My legs are spent, no doubt there.

Michelle

Needs more cowbell!

WTG! Big grin don't know if that's how you're supposed to do it but, that's hot. Cool I'd take the 2 miles and tuck it away in your brain to remind yourself, you can do it.
          Yup--if you can do 2 at that pace, I have no doubt that you will someday do 3. That's very fast! Big grin k

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

• 6 duathlons (1 Olympic distance)

• 130#s (and stay there, gotdammit!)

Wow, two miles in 14:00 is pretty freaking impressive Smile!
            2009: BQ?

The voice of mile 18

it'll won't get easier (well maybe a bit mentally) but you'll be able to keep that pace longer. great job
              4/18 Rutgers Half Marathon 7/20 Antrhacite Olympic Tri 9/25 chesapeakeman Ultra distance Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy http://community.active.com/people/Joe_h1/blog
                I really hope that I am able to do that pace again soon. I don't want to think it was a "fluke"....The ironic thing is that since I did that cool pace I've been out with my wonderful back strain. Hmmm, maybe I wasn't quite ready to push myself that hard...Nah, actually the back pain started about five days prior to running those two 7 min. miles. I'll be back on track again starting Sunday!! I can't wait. I am really feeling UNHEALTHY with not running.

Michelle