Tired after running (Read 2860 times)

Been running since Oct 07 and have upped my mileage to around 20km/week. Currently doing long runs of 10k, which push me but if there was a gun to my head I could def run further. However, when I get home from my long runs, for the next 5 hours or so I am EXHAUSTED. Not sore, just very lethargic, can't be bothered talking let alone getting off the couch. Today I got back around 9:30am, had breakfast, got dragged out to do chores by my bf, got home and had lunch - the whole time I felt almost coma-like. Anyone else experience this, and how do I make it go away?!!

Where's my coffee?

Take a little nap. Give in to the exhaustion for a wee bit. I also find that if I am the least bit underhydrated I will be more tired. Are you eating something to refuel after you run? Good luck and give it some more time. If you've only been running since 10/07 your body could very well still be adjusting to the added mileage. I am not a running expert, nor do I play one on TV . . . so who knows if there's any merit to what I think!
      My sport is your sport's punishment!
        You may be running too fast. Check out the low HR training group for more on this... http://runningahead.com/groups/LOWHRTR/

Make sure that you eat a little before your run, and no matter what eat something as soon as you finish running. Take a nap or at least loaf around for a few hours afterwards if you need to.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

You need to cut back a bit to allow your body to catch up with your enthusiasm. New runners typically try to do too much too soon and end up getting burned out or injured. So far you seem to be in the first category but that may change if you continue to push. Your long runs are too long for your weekly mileage. The fact that you need to struggle to complete them and that you are exhausted after them means that you don't have the necessary endurance to support them. Try limiting the length of your long runs to 30% of your total weekly mileage or better yet, eliminate them entirely and add another running day to your week. As your mileage and your endurance builds you can bring them back. How's the summer weather down there? My running routes are under a foot of snow up here and I wimped out on this mornings run. Tom
              You need to cut back a bit to allow your body to catch up with your enthusiasm. New runners typically try to do too much too soon and end up getting burned out or injured. So far you seem to be in the first category but that may change if you continue to push. Your long runs are too long for your weekly mileage. The fact that you need to struggle to complete them and that you are exhausted after them means that you don't have the necessary endurance to support them. Try limiting the length of your long runs to 30% of your total weekly mileage or better yet, eliminate them entirely and add another running day to your week. As your mileage and your endurance builds you can bring them back. How's the summer weather down there? My running routes are under a foot of snow up here and I wimped out on this mornings run. Tom
              Figbash ( Tom) as always is spot on with his advice. DH and I started C25K in September 07 and we are doing the One Hour Runner program currently. Our Long run currently stands at a mere 4 miles, but knowing what we know at this stage of the game, we realize that this is where we " Should" be at this point. Our goal is to advance on to a solid base building program after OHR, taking us to 20 miles per week by Memorial Day. To me there is a definite difference between tired from exhiliration, and tired from pushing too hard. You will be a lifetime runner injury free if you allow your body to build up to your very obvious dedication! Smile Best of Luck, and Slow down and enjoy the run! Cheffy

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

From experience, I've found that that lethargic feeling means I need to take in some more calories. If I eat well right after the run, I find I can get by with no nap or at most a short one. Get plenty of protein to repair your muscles and carbs to replenish those you spent. I've heard people mention chocolate milk as a perfect post-race refueler. I've tried it, and while I don't know for sure if it helps, at least I get to have chocolate milk!

-------------------------------------
                5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Lisa pre-nose injury

never mind...
                  Lisa Week 9/10 of One Hour Runner
                    If none of the above suggestions work, I suggest you make an appointment with your DR and explain your symptoms. Some med checks--blood work, etc. may reveal other reasons for your fatigue. I am not a doctor, but I did play one in a high school play many, many years ago. Nick
                      I have the same issue. If I have the time, I take a short (10-30 min.) nap. If not, I just suck it up. I just figured it's because I'm old... Wink TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Gig

I used to get like that--not really lethargic, but sleepy--and I loved it. I don't sleep much ordinarily, so when I get that sleepy, I take a 30-minute nap and wake up completely refreshed and ready for another run. Confused
                        db7

That was me all last year training for a marathon. The last 3 months of Low Heart Rate training changed all that. I can run as much as I want and when I get done I am ready to start something else. Made all the difference. Check out the LHR training group for more info. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Thanks for all your advice guys. I think I'm going to give LHR a go, especially as I have noticed that my HR seems quite high, especially in terms of maintaining it for an hour or more!

thumbs up!

we are doing the One Hour Runner program currently.
                              What is this program? I haven't seen it anywhere.
                              2010 Goals
                              1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
                              2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
                              3. sub 30 min 5k
                              4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
                              Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I second bdags. Running too fast too often seems very likely based on your description. Most runs should be easy, and easy means really easy. You should feel refreshed at the end, not tired. There's a place for hard running, but it should never be the majority of your runs.
                                Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.