Speaker for running? (Read 162 times)

GC100k

That's from punching someone who mildly inconvenienced you during a run?

I've seen many people go down from jostling eachother during races and have even seen some fights.  My son's junior year a couple guys got in a fistfight during the state championships and ended up rolling on the track punching and wrestling.  That's not what I'm talking about.

An example of what I'm talking about was a few years ago a runner shared a story about how she was running in her neighborhood and had to swerve around two women talking next to a parked car with a small dog on a leash and one of the women may have said "jogger" while talking.  Everyone piped in and said "if it had been me, I would have punched the lady and punted the dog thirty feet".  I read the post three times trying to figure out what was the horrible crime this women committed and I said I didn't get it.  Some replied to me "if you don't have anything good to day don't say anything at all".  So I was the bad guy for not threatening to physically assault a woman or kill her beloved pet for standing in the wrong place.

Of course I don't believe anyone means any of these threats.  That's my point.  What's the appeal of being an internet tough guy?

I don't believe you would hip check someone into a tree.  So why say that if it's an empty threat?  Why not just say "I would find that annoying" instead of pretending to be a barely restrained grenade of violent rage?

Feeling the growl again

That's from punching someone who mildly inconvenienced you during a run?

I've seen many people go down from jostling eachother during races and have even seen some fights.  My son's junior year a couple guys got in a fistfight during the state championships and ended up rolling on the track punching and wrestling.  That's not what I'm talking about.

An example of what I'm talking about was a few years ago a runner shared a story about how she was running in her neighborhood and had to swerve around two women talking next to a parked car with a small dog on a leash and one of the women may have said "jogger" while talking.  Everyone piped in and said "if it had been me, I would have punched the lady and punted the dog thirty feet".  I read the post three times trying to figure out what was the horrible crime this women committed and I said I didn't get it.  Some replied to me "if you don't have anything good to day don't say anything at all".  So I was the bad guy for not threatening to physically assault a woman or kill her beloved pet for standing in the wrong place.

Of course I don't believe anyone means any of these threats.  That's my point.  What's the appeal of being an internet tough guy?

I don't believe you would hip check someone into a tree.  So why say that if it's an empty threat?  Why not just say "I would find that annoying" instead of pretending to be a barely restrained grenade of violent rage?

You've had plenty of time now to go back and re-read the post, so if this is really what you are taking away from it I have to conclude you are hopeless. Roll eyes  Good grief.  Perhaps you haven't been around here long enough to get some of the resident humor, but if that is the case maybe you should take some time to learn before you start acting like this.

And no, I did not punch anyone.  I was assaulted during a race last year by someone who clearly had a screw loose, and when I turned my back on them to run away from the situation they chased me down and tackled me and I came down on that wrist.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

I took it as a joke.  Even gave you a smiley face after you told me you would hip check me.  Then you made it clear that it wasn't a joke a few posts later.

I wasn't talking to you, so you two brats can both take your head-mounted boom boxes and get off my lawn.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I hear people with music on the trails all the time, and as I'm passing them I generally hear it for less than ten seconds.  Quit trying to make this out as noise pollution.  It's not.

Is.

By the way there are now a lot better battery powered amps out there than the famous old pignose.

I am not going to join in the skiff.  I don't run with music......don't like it and just don't get it.  Regardless, I think if the user is respectful of others, speakers can work and without noise pollution.  I have run the Hood to Coast relay a couple of times and earbuds are banned and only wearable speakers allowed.  Passing or being passed by runners with speakers was not what I expected.....relatively quiet and only lasted a few short seconds normally.  Clip-on speakers are available and they are easy to find with a Google search for "running speakers".

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Not dead. Yet.

For anyone who actually cares, I'm going to try these two things out in the order they are presented.

http://shop.compassmusicsales.com/Safe-Sound-Sports-SSPS-1-Wearable-Speaker_p_164.html

http://www.gofastandlight.com/Manhattan-Mini-Mobile-Speaker/productinfo/E-P-MAN/

Thank you all for your input, and please know that I will use the power that I acquire with great respect for all.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Mosquitoes, rocks, roots, horseflies, spider webs, mud, bikers, snakes, horses, loose dogs, people who want to stop and talk, confused foreigners who don't speak English, school groups, horse poop, dog poop, people poop, more snakes, more horseflies, poison ivy, thorns, burrs, low branches, overgrowth, stumps, rednecks, ticks, chiggers, cruisers, rain, heat, flooded creeks, leeches, beer bottles, barbed wire, hail, ice, territorial birds, rotting carcasses, cows, rabid raccoons, hunters, and people playing music outloud while running,

That's a partial list of annoyances on the trail.  The last one is the only one I have not actually encountered.  A couple seconds of someone playing audible music would be way down the list of annoyances.  I love the peace and serenity of trails, but the idea of it being 100% an idyllic repose from the harsh world interrupted by a few seconds of someone's tiny shoulder speakers is kinda funny.  I might find it mildly annoying, but I wouldn't commit physical violence against them*, and again, it wouldn't be high on the list.

This. It's rude and selfish to play the music out loud in a race where other people are stuck suffering, but, people do rude, selfish things all the time, at races and everywhere else, and this is not a particularly notable example.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

running metalhead

This. It's rude and selfish to play the music out loud in a race where other people are stuck suffering, but, people do rude, selfish things all the time, at races and everywhere else, and this is not a particularly notable example.

Well, I don't like most of the music that people listen too... but I don't like traffic either.
                  Indeed speakers resolve two of the issues I have with running with earphones, both safety related:

The fact that cyclists and other people can hear you coming from afar and the fact that you can hear them too.

This is important in cities, specially here in the Netherlands were we have bicycle roads and the crossings can be quite narrow and the possibility of running into a bike is elevated.

I wouldn't mind, people in races with speakers, I bet any music they play will be better than the one the bands and DJs along the course play (mates, I'm fed up with "We are the Champions")

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                  - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                  - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                  - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                  - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                  - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)