What are the current 'best' headphones for running (Read 3761 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Leave the headphones and home and just carry a giant ghetto blaster with you!  Consider it cross training!

Careful, those Cross-Fit folks are gonna get ideas! Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

SPEAKING OF!

More and more lately, I'm seeing people running with big ol' headphones. Like you might use at home or on the airplane.  Scares me on several levels.

And also makes me laugh.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

SPEAKING OF!

More and more lately, I'm seeing people running with big ol' headphones. Like you might use at home or on the airplane.  Scares me on several levels.

And also makes me laugh.

I have seen this, too.  Particularly the Dr. Dre headphones...because they are trendy.  But it looks as stupid as running with a Discman.  Or running in full-on track suit when it's >60.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

ilp

And the cord length wouldn't be an issue aside from the fact that I wear my phone in a waist-belt thingie (I LOATHE armbands).  So the buds are in my ears, the cord goes down inside my shirt, then comes back up from the bottom of my shirt.  If I needed much more length I'd simply run it outside my shirt, under the belt, and into the phone that way.

Exactly the problem with the Sennheisers. I am 5'11", probably average torso/legs proportion and it's just not quite long enough. If I clip the player (or that terrible extension) onto my waistband, it almost works, but then it rubs my belly and leaves marks. And even then I feel myself tugging at the cord.

If I was 5'9" or shorter, I might just be OK with it, but it baffles me how Sennheiser could've screwed up the design that badly. Have they only tested it on short people?

Forget about putting a phone in the pocket... the only way the Sennheisers get any use if I clip my iPod shuffle on my shirt sleeve, or if I'm running in the winter and it can be in the top jacket pocket.

mrbreeze

The best head phone that I have found are from Ironman.  These were designed by a marathon runner.  I have run many marathon and have used many types of head phones.  I believe that these are the best.

Cool Jump Suit

Leave the headphones and home and just carry a giant ghetto blaster with you!  Consider it cross training!

This dude (chick?) loves to cross train.

So bittersweet,
              This tragedy
              Won't ask for absolution;
              This melody,
              Inside of me,
              Still searches for solution.
              A twist of faith,
              A change of heart
              Cures my infatuation.
              A broken heart, 
              Provides the spark
              For my determination.

lagwagon

The best head phone that I have found are from Ironman.  These were designed by a marathon runner.  I have run many marathon and have used many types of head phones.  I believe that these are the best.

Are these the Yurbuds Ironman?  I was thinking of trying them, local running shop carries them.  Any other opinions on these?

I dont run outside with headphones unless i'm in a really boring place (geographically, not emotionally) but always use them on the treadmill.  That said, I'm picky and have tried many different types.

I like the sennheiser/addidas headphones (PMX 680) and have used them a lot, except the cord and volume connection really annoy me when they bounce.  I also tried the prior version of the CX 680 but they didnt fit my plus-sized ears.

I have a pair of Phillips neckband headphones (SHS5200) which someone here once recommended, and I like them for use on my home treadmill.  theyre a bit bulky for outside.  but phillips got the cord exactly right for my use.  (i patch it into a 30' headphone cable which connects into my av receiver, so i can hear dialog from the tv clearly without blasting it.)

i also bought the Phillips "action fit"  shq 4000....i dont like the way they fit in my ears and pick up noise from the cord bouncing.  

I also tried a pair of inexpensive light weight nike headphones from best buy, they were horrible.

Tomorrow will be worse

I absolutely hate carrying anything in my hand and couldn't take the ipod armband even for a minute. The ipod shuffle with the clip was OK, but then there were the cords...

I ended up with this, from sony

http://store.sony.com/wcsstore/SonyStyleStorefrontAssetStore/img/718x407/NWZW263BLK.png

It's mp3 and headphones in one, and surprisingly stays put. And you can even rinse it off under the tap, so rain is no worry.

I feel like a commercial now

Turbolegs

I absolutely hate carrying anything in my hand and couldn't take the ipod armband even for a minute. The ipod shuffle with the clip was OK, but then there were the cords...

http://store.sony.com/wcsstore/SonyStyleStorefrontAssetStore/img/718x407/NWZW263BLK.png

It's mp3 and headphones in one, and surprisingly stays put. And you can even rinse it off under the tap, so rain is no worry.

+1. Fellow user here.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Turnbaugh

Got a pair for Christmas, without question the best running headphones I've ever used.  No cords to get tangled, nothing to carry, and you barely even notice them.  It's nothing fancy (similar to an iPod shuffle as far as functionality) but fantastic for running as well as any gym workout.

JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

I bought the Sennheiser MX75 Sports after reading the reviews here. Very happy with them.

• Very good sound. Bass is a weak point, but I don't like a lot of bass anyway.
                        • There are enough options that you can set them up so they stay in your ears.  And any headphones that don't stay put are worthless.
                        • Allows outside ambient sound in for safety.
                        • I love the clip that holds the cord. I hate the distraction of a cord flapping about.
                        • Great customer service, they sent out extra ear bud things.
                        • Durable, I've had these for at least a couple years now.
                        • Looks like they have been replaced by a new model, so they are cheap. (buy.com at $45)

Are these the Yurbuds Ironman?  I was thinking of trying them, local running shop carries them.  Any other opinions on these?

I dont run outside with headphones unless i'm in a really boring place (geographically, not emotionally) but always use them on the treadmill.  That said, I'm picky and have tried many different types.

I like the sennheiser/addidas headphones (PMX 680) and have used them a lot, except the cord and volume connection really annoy me when they bounce.  I also tried the prior version of the CX 680 but they didnt fit my plus-sized ears.

I have a pair of Phillips neckband headphones (SHS5200) which someone here once recommended, and I like them for use on my home treadmill.  theyre a bit bulky for outside.  but phillips got the cord exactly right for my use.  (i patch it into a 30' headphone cable which connects into my av receiver, so i can hear dialog from the tv clearly without blasting it.)

i also bought the Phillips "action fit"  shq 4000....i dont like the way they fit in my ears and pick up noise from the cord bouncing.  

I also tried a pair of inexpensive light weight nike headphones from best buy, they were horrible.

I know this is old, so maybe irrelevant by now, but I just bought the Ironman Yurbuds. I've been using Sennheiser PMX70 for years and like them, but the wind noise is still really annoying sometimes. I wanted to give some earbuds a shot again, so I bought the Yurbuds at REI about a month ago. So far they've been solid. I sometimes feel like they might fall out, but they never have once. I think I'm just paranoid since I'm so used to the wrap-around Sennheisers. It's starting to warm up here, so we'll see how they hold up once I start really sweating on the lunch time runs. They are probably a little pricy at REI, but their return policy is so ridiculously lenient that it's worth it. 

jasonchris

I'm a big fan of the Yurbuds as well, but it's hard to beat the PMX 680 series by Sennheiser, especially since they made the in line controls compatible with the iphone.

This site gives a pretty good comparison in my opinion: http://www.workoutheadphones.org/best-running-headphones-of-2011/

I haven't used the Bose IE2 yet, but heard nothing but good things.

georgiarunner

Hi have gone wireless.  After trying severa behind the neck bluetooth headphones - im set on the Azeca over the head headset.  It's just like the only Sony vertical in-ear headphones i used but without the wire.

you can only get them on Amazon or http://azeca.com