Will I finally buy a car? (Read 226 times)

jicama

Did we win?

I love the Prius.  More gas for me!

2014 races"

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb.8, 2:22

Umstead Trail Marathon, Raleigh, NC, Mar. 1, 5:48

Johnston Health Champions 5K, Smithfield, NC, 26:53

Rattler Trail Half-Marathon, Sanford, NC, 2:52 (wow)

2013 races:

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb. 2, 1:56:40 (PR)

New River Marathon, Todd, NC, May 4, 4:59:32 (PR)

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

Singer who runs a smidge

With my 60-mile one-way commute, the only thing that would keep me from driving a Prius would be a Tesla.  But I can't afford one!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Village people

This one looks good.

Menace to Sobriety

Buy the safest, most  mechanically sound car you can find for $4K to $5K. It should last you 3-4 years pretty easy with routine maintenance. Don't worry too much about mileage, the extra you may spend in gas will be more than offset by what you save in depreciation and upkeep on one of your more more expensive, newer, high maintenance "snobby" rides. If you can swing paying for it outright, you can also get away with only having liability insurance as well, saving you a few more hundred bucks a year.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Feeling the growl again

Buy the safest, most  mechanically sound car you can find for $4K to $5K. It should last you 3-4 years pretty easy with routine maintenance. Don't worry too much about mileage, the extra you may spend in gas will be more than offset by what you save in depreciation and upkeep on one of your more more expensive, newer, high maintenance "snobby" rides. If you can swing paying for it outright, you can also get away with only having liability insurance as well, saving you a few more hundred bucks a year.

Smart advice.  Cars are one of the best ways to burn excess cash.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Mysecondnewname

Smart advice.  Cars are one of the best ways to burn excess cash.

Agree-- When it comes to cars, I learned from my Dad that 1) buying a new car is not a good investment, 2) paying cash is generally the best way to go (which sometimes meant my desire and expectations had to be adjusted to available resources), and  3) taking the highest deductible possible on car insurance is a good idea.

I'd go with this.  I mean if you are renting at $400 to $600 a month for a car(and only having it available one week of each month) , then sounds like you are spending thousands a year just renting a car, when you could buy one outright and be able to use it when you want, 24 / 7 /365.

I'm a foreign car guy, lol so of course I am going to suggest a Nissan Altima / Honda Civic or Accord / Toyota of some form...  The reliability on those cars even 10 years old is surprisingly good.

On insurance, I can't imagine what y'all pay in NYC.  I use Progressive, they always seem to come out the cheapest.  But would recommend you do an Esurance quote or one of those "Independent" quote sites that will pull up a whole series of prices based on the info you put in.

---  PS.  I am still baffled by folks who can go without cars!  I certainly can't do it myself.  Being able to get in a car and open it up, go any route I want, pick from the XM stations, etc.   But then I have been to NYC... Briefly.   I can see why folks would not want to drive a car there. :-)  I am coming to NYC in November for the Marathon.  The hotel is going to charge me $120.00 just to park the thing for 2 nights... Good god!

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

superspike113

Honorary Old

I would not buy a luxury car with 2 kids.  Have you looked at Mazdas? I'm a big fan. We had a Mazda6 and I currently drive a Mazda CX7 but you might be able to get away with the CX5. We sold the Mazda6 and bought a brand new VW Golf Diesel as DH's commuter rig and I will never buy a new car again since we paid $30k for it and it sold for only $19k less than 2 years later.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

Joann Y

So what was it? An Audi, that's my guess.