Calling anyone interested in a Running - Wizard training group (Read 1462 times)

Anyone bought the running wizard training plan and have an interest in posting their progress towards a goal race.  If we can get a group going we can maybe post our progress and share ideas along the way.  There is a coach’s forum on their site but I prefer things here on RA plus the forums here are more active and we can get input from other knowledgeable runners around here. 

I bought a plan and I am going to be using it for a spring Marathon.  (ING Ottawa Marathon in May 2013)  I am hoping to qualify for NY which is a 2:58 for me. (Male age 46).  If we can get a few people to bite hopefully we can get something going. 

Don't want to bury this in a User Group. Hence, why I am posting here.  Any one? Any One?

Anyone bought the running wizard training plan and have an interest in posting their progress towards a goal race.  If we can get a group going we can maybe post our progress and share ideas along the way.  There is a coach’s forum on their site but I prefer things here on RA plus the forums here are more active and we can get input from other knowledgeable runners around here. 

I bought a plan and I am going to be using it for a spring Marathon.  (ING Ottawa Marathon in May 2013)  I am hoping to qualify for NY which is a 2:58 for me. (Male age 46).  If we can get a few people to bite hopefully we can get something going. 

Don't want to bury this in a User Group. Hence, why I am posting here.  Any one? Any One?

HEY!!  THE creator of Running Wizard here! ;o)  While at it, can you also share your experience at our Facebook (Lydiard Running Wizard) as well?  Jon Lang had shared a very nice progress with us there (I know, if you read this, I need to get back to you--I've been swamped and also a bit under the weather as well!).

So Runner Bliss, how do you like it so far??? ;o)

Singer who runs a smidge

Obviously I have been reading too much Harry Potter.  I thought this was going to be something like Quidditch, without broomsticks.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Obviously I have been reading too much Harry Potter.  I thought this was going to be something like Quidditch, without broomsticks.

I didn't pick the image (more like Gandalf...), Lorraine (Moller) did!

Singer who runs a smidge

But ... it's not clickable!  Wink

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

HEY!!  THE creator of Running Wizard here! ;o)  While at it, can you also share your experience at our Facebook (Lydiard Running Wizard) as well?  Jon Lang had shared a very nice progress with us there (I know, if you read this, I need to get back to you--I've been swamped and also a bit under the weather as well!).

So Runner Bliss, how do you like it so far??? ;o)

Hey Nobby thanks for posting.  My start date is December 9th.  However I just started to test it out 2 weeks in advance as I build up my miles. I have not followed a training plan for a while - just running by feel -  I am having some difficulty maintaining pace - mostly going too fast despite having a Garmin which I really do not look at while running but I hope to get the hang of it soon.  I am a little worried about finding an appropriate hill to do the hill training on.  I am going mostly by faith as I an really relying on my trust in your ideas that I have read over the years.

But ... it's not clickable!  Wink

Hey! ..Never thought about it but this might just be the plan for a Harry potter fan who runs.

Hey Nobby thanks for posting.  My start date is December 9th.  However I just started to test it out 2 weeks in advance as I build up my miles. I have not followed a training plan for a while - just running by feel -  I am having some difficulty maintaining pace - mostly going too fast despite having a Garmin which I really do not look at while running but I hope to get the hang of it soon.  I am a little worried about finding an appropriate hill to do the hill training on.  I am going mostly by faith as I an really relying on my trust in your ideas that I have read over the years.

Don't worry, your time to run faster will come later...when you're "good and ready" (that's the line from "Top Gun"...).

You can do hills over the steps or even treadmill.  We will be adding some video clips.  For better idea, you can check out that Facebook page where I posted Toshihiko Seko doing Lydiardesque hill training in Auckland--you'll be amazed how SLOW this 2:08 marathon runner, twice Boston champion, is going up!!  Again, you'll have your chance to RUN FASTER later on...when you're good and ready!!

JML

Runners Bliss,

I just used Running-Wizard  to take my HM time from 1:47 to 1:37.  I HIGHLY recommend the plan which got me to the starting line in the best running shape of my life where I ran a negative split race with the last mile being the fastest.  I am sorting out my racing calendar for next year and will absolutely be using Running-Wizard again once I pick a race.    You will not be disappointed.

If you do setup a group, let me know.  I would be happy to join and participate

Nobby - No worries.  I look forward to hearing from you when you are feeling better.

Thanks

Jon

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Thanks for the testimonial JML.  Lets hope we get some folks to bite around here. 

I need to take my Marathon time down 12min that is from 3:10 to 2:58 a bit ambitious but I am hoping this will work for me.

Rainey

Hey you guys - you are starting to get all esoteric here which is just the right time for me to jump in Smile I did choose the Running Wizard name and logo (though we are in the process of refurbishing our homepage) with several things in mind that I think runners need reminding of while training

* it is a magical process where the result is more than the sum of the parts if done correctly. I was brought up on Lydiard and credit the system  with giving me peak performances from 800, to 50K, longevity over 28 years, and freedom from injury during my career. It works which is why it is arguably the most popular and respected system worldwide and fully embraced by many National Athletic Federations (the USA has been a tougher nut to crack for many reasons, a major one being the structure of the collegiate prolific-race competitive seasons.)  I get so excited when I see people go through this program for the first time, especially seasoned competitors because, if they follow the plan and incorporate the Lydiard principles rather than blindly follow numbers, they experience real peaking for the first time and discover that for years they have been selling their potential way short through mono-training and over-working. Peaking  is literally a PEAK experience that elevates the race to something that is way above training and something that I can only describe is as having wings on your feet and the feeling that you effortlessly control your reality / or more truthfully surrender to what you have put in motion.  

HopesMom touched on this with her comment 

There is great wisdom in that sentiment. The process is all-important and I think most runners are way too overboard with number-crunching and over-striving forgetting how to play and introducing way too much stress into their running. Which brings me to my second point here

* the training process can be hugely transformative.  We can quite literally remake ourselves through the specific systematic stress of training that invokes the corresponding adaptation.  But for that to happen there needs to be an interaction of both left and right brains, common sense and creativity, work and recovery, hardness and softness and a certain faith to let go of the sledge-hammer and allow your potential to come forth. 

I loved to hear the comments from Runner's Bliss about "running by feel" " faith" and "trust", Once one's inner coach is calibrated correctly and coupled with a good sound training system these are the tools that allow the magic to happen. 

Thought you might enjoy this article below published in Running Times that speaks to this somewhat. - Lorraine Moller

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/becoming-body-whisperer

Thanks for the post Rainey. 

I have been doing Marathons now for I think six or seven years.  I started out literally just following my own plan for the first one.  This was fairly unstructured except that it involved slowly building up my long run to around 22 miles.  Now that I think back I realized how crazy it was.  Some folks just saw me running all the time and suggested that I try a Marathon.  At first I said not interested, I just run for pure fun.  This was true then.  I had no interest in racing and did not even run for weight loss or any such thing. 

I would always meet a young lady in my neighbourhood in the morning as I was going out to run as she herself was out running at the same time.  We got to talking one day and she told me she was training for the Toronto HM.  I am not sure why but I decided then to give the idea a thought.  Just to test myself I had a 7km loop I use to do and so I went out and did it three (3X7KM) times to test myself.  Once I was finished I thought “well it would not be much of an accomplishment to go do a HM.”  “I guess I should try for the full” Stupid me I did not think about the fact that I would have to run what was already a tough distance and then immediately repeat it.  Well to cut a long story short I trained and did my first marathon in 3:48.  My calves gave out at about mile four and I am not sure how the hell I managed to finish.

I have not had much success over the years as I always had terrible shin pain at the start of my marathons for about the first 5 outings.  I have always finished however except one year when I hurt my foot.  I did buy and read Pfitzinger book Advance Marathoning.  I followed his plan for about two marathons and after that I just made up my own following some of his principles.  My main focus has been on completing two long runs a week.  (Very unscientific I know) but I made it to the start line twice a year -Spring and Fall - and I have been improving.  My PR is now 3:10 which I just did this Fall.  I did not train well for that race as I was away on vacation for much of the summer.  I also feel that I can go a lot faster and that I am always just not well or properly prepared.

I have always followed or read Nobby’s post and many of the knowledgeable runners on this site and the old Cool running site.  Now I want to get a little more structured with my training and go for my ever elusive dream of going sub 3hr for the marathon.  I looked at this plan and figured it involved stressing my system to work at a fairly steady aerobic pace versus the massive diet of long slow runs I predominantly did to date.

Thought you might enjoy this article below published in Running Times that speaks to this somewhat. - Lorraine Moller

Hmmm, my sig line in another group Wink :

"Surrender to the run and allow it to take you, rather than trying to control or force an outcome."
                            -Lorraine Moller in "Becoming a Body Whisperer", p. 72 RT Nov 2010.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                            dennrunner

Hey you guys - you are starting to get all esoteric here which is just the right time for me to jump in Smile I did choose the Running Wizard name and logo (though we are in the process of refurbishing our homepage) with several things in mind that I think runners need reminding of while training.....

Hey, Lorraine <waves>, glad you could stop by. Most of the time we only have that old crotchety Nobby.

Just kidding, Nobby. I love you, man. (No, not in THAT way!)

MTA: can't type

I would also like to share my experiences with running-wizard. My training plan starts on Sunday 2. December with the target race being Copenhagen Marathon 19. May 2013. My goal is 2.59.15 with a PR of 3.08.35. Earlier on, I have followed Daniels' and Pfitzinger's plans. If I don't get injured, the goal ought to be realistic because the volume is high with a lot of focus on the aerobic base. For the time being, I also run too fast but will slow a little down from Sunday when the volume also goes from my current 80K to +100k.