Does this shoe exist? (Read 236 times)

Strict WTF adherent

The criteria: Neutral, lightweight, some cushioning and preferably with a drop of maybe 7mm or less ... but with a straight last?

Sounds like you're looking for a minimalist type shoe with some cushioning.  My Skechers Go Bionic are neutal, light, zero drop, and looks like they have a semi-straight last.

For a more technical comparison of similar styles, check out www.runblogger.com.

"I can do 440 in 220"    Half Fanatic #846    "90% of running is half mental"    If I collapse, please pause my Garmin

JML

New Balance 890s are a close fit.  I think that the drop is 8MM.  I run in them with good results.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

In it for the long run..

Look at Altra.

"It's not who wins the workout..."

Saucony Kinvara. Don't know about the straight last, but they"re neutral, have a 4mm drop, and are both light and cushioned.

Right on Hereford...

Asics Gel-Lyte 33. 6mm drop, decent amount of cushioning (much more than the Skechers Go Bionic). And the last is slightly curved, but not a lot.

Happy

The "straight last" part seems to be the hard part. At RunningWarehouse.com, I could only find Altras listed as "straight." Most others are curved or semi-curved. If semi-curved is close enough, I like the Saucony Kinvaras a lot. If price is a driver, the Gel Lyte33's are only $60, but they are listed as "curved." I recently picked up New Balance 730's at a Sports Authority for $60 -- 3 mm drop, "semi-curved," lightweight and cushiony for as light as they are. Durability might be an issue, as well as finding your size. Brooks Pure series might have something close (again, I think I only saw "semi-curved").

"Strawberry cheesecake is my absolute favorite thing to eat after a marathon."  -- Meb Keflezighi

Right on Hereford...

If price is a driver, the Gel Lyte33's are only $60, but they are listed as "curved."

I actually meant the Gel Lyte 33 2's, not the original Gel Lyte 33, which I didn't like nearly as much. But yes, they do have a bit of a curve to them.

I just looked at several of my recent favorites (I'm a shoe tester, and have lots of shoes), and the Puma Faas 350 comes the closest to fitting your criteria, I believe.

#gluttonforpunishment

brerfootbill wrote: Sounds like you're looking for a minimalist type shoe with some cushioning.  My Skechers Go Bionic are neutal, light, zero drop, and looks like they have a semi-straight last.

I haven't tried those.How are the Bionics?

Just the Skechers GoRus    and the GoRun Rides.  Very light, almost like ballet slippers compared to the pairs of Brookses and New Balances I used to run in.  Padding under the midfoot, not the heel.  Pretty much a zero drop shoe.

Madison Marathon 11/10/2013    5:05:50
                    Biggest Loser Half Marathon 2:17:49
                    Next races: Chicago Marathon 10/12/14
                                        Madison Marathon 11/9/14
                                        Madison-MiniMarathon Aug. 2015

Well, I try to run mostly barefoot, and a couple of times a week in minimalist shoes to give my feet a break from the pavement. As far as the other Skechers you mentioned (which I haven't tried), I think the Go Bionics would be noticeably "less shoe" - closer to being barefoot probably, but feels to me like some padding equally distributed underfoot. I think the Runs and the Rides each have a 4 mm drop.

"I can do 440 in 220"    Half Fanatic #846    "90% of running is half mental"    If I collapse, please pause my Garmin

Strict WTF adherent

Thanks all. Some  very helpful feedback here. I've actually been in Kinvaras for a few years now, mixed in with a few other shoes. But even they are a bit too curved for my flat-as-pancakes feet. As SubDood pointed out, the "straight last" part is the challenge ... looks like Altras could be the answer

Hoka Bondi B fits all those criteria except for the "some cushioning" as it has quite a bit compared to most shoes.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-HOBBM3.html

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!