Analyze my run (Read 1066 times)

I started back to running about 3 months ago. I have mostly been doing 3-4 miles a day, 4-5 days per week on pretty flat ground. I have done a couple of runs up and down in the hills above our house. Today I did my longest run of 7 miles with a pretty good increase in elevation. Felt good all of the way, the hill was a bit tough and had to take walk breaks. Tried to keep in my range on the HRM. Follow the link to my GPS data at MB. I did hit the upper limit on my HRM going downhill and I found that strange. Take a look and see if there is anything that I can make improvements on. http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/invitation/email/accept.mb?senderPk.pkValue=219593&unitSystemPkValue=2&episodePk.pkValue=5685242 Thanks Bob
      Fixed the link...my bad Bob

Dave

What is your measured maximum HR (if you know it)? What HR zones were you trying to stay within?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I'm not sure what your question is, but - if you can - try running the hill more slowly and you may not have to take walk breaks. The differential in effort between your run and walk seems too high. Slow down the run, walk faster if you need to to even out the effort. While your heartrate increased on some downhills, you seemed to also increase speed when the hr went up (or maybe I'm not looking at the right downhill). It looks like the first extended hill is 250 ft over 1 mi or about 5%. That's very runnable for an experienced runner, but you're new so it will take a bit for you to learn how to listen to your body's signals (not your hrm beep) to regulate your effort better. BUT some people, like myself, are faster with the run/walk rather than run only. So if you were trying to get someplace in a hurry, what you did might be appropriate. But you didn't really tell us what you were trying to do with the run to improve it. What is the objective of the run? Also note that your body's responses are a little delayed, so the hrm response is delayed. As already mentioned, how did you set up your training zones and what do the numbers mean (% of max hr or LT or VO2max or whatever)?
          "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            What is your measured maximum HR (if you know it)? What HR zones were you trying to stay within?
            I dont know what it is... I have my Garmin 305 set based on 220-age (40)=180, I am trying to stay in zone 4 which is 80% I believe. I am trying to slow my pace a bit but I am having trouble with that. This run may have been to ambitious for me at this point although I felt good during and after the run. AKTrail - Goal is to improve endurance. Running 2 1/2 marathons this year (August and October) and trying to shave about 20 minutes off of last years time. Running the hill was recommended to me as a way to build endurance. I run 4-5 days a week, 3-4 of those are about 4 miles at an average of 9:15 per mile. I try to go longer and slower on the weekends but it just doesnt feel right when i slow to a pace of say 10:30 to 11:30 per mile. I am still learning to use the Garmin as a training tool. Sometimes it will beep when I hit the upper limit on the HR but I feel good and push on. I am a believer of listening to one's body for feedback and adjust. Thanks for all of your comments and ideas. Bob
            Scout7

Ignore what Garmin says for your ranges, and get YOUR actual ranges. You can do this with basic field tests. Or, don't worry about HR. That works quite well for some people.

Dave

I think it was an excellent effort, particularly up that elevation change. I find it very difficult to focus on aerobic endurance training and run hills in the same training run. Recommend that you try and focus your longer efforts towards flatter courses and run one shorter hill workout midweek for power and anaerobic conditioning. On that hill workout, ignore the HRM other than noticing how high it gets as you power up the hills. That will come close to your actual measured maximum heart rate. Mine is about 183 or so. I measured 182 yesterday on a steep hill during a race so it may be a few beats higher. Agree with last poster on ignoring the Garmin zones or at least modifying how you view them. Do longer runs on flatter courses at about 70-80% (if it climbs towards the end of your run) of your measured max. You'll be building aerobic capacity and endurance. Even most of your midweek runs should be closer to this level of effort and pace on relatively flat courses. Then build power and anaerobic conditioning to increase your lactate threshold by running around 85%-90% of your measured max on hard days. Expect to go even higher on uphill sections. Don't do this too often though or you'll be at a higher risk of injury.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Ignore what Garmin says for your ranges, and get YOUR actual ranges. You can do this with basic field tests. Or, don't worry about HR. That works quite well for some people.
                  Pardon my ignorance, but how do I get my actual ranges? Thanks Bob
                  Scout7

Depends on your preferred methodology. If you want to use Lactate Threshold, then look at This. The alternative is Max HR. I don't have a specific link to how to do it, but if I recall correctly it involved doing 400m repeats. Check the HR running forum. I'm sure they have all kinds of wonderful ways to do it.

Dave

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I get my actual ranges? Thanks Bob
                      The method that I use comes from a book from John Parker called "The Compleat Idiots Guide to Heart Monitor Training" He doesn't really use ranges, just a ceiling heart rate for "easy" days and a floor heart rate for "hard days". You calculate those by first measuring your max heart rate. The 400M repeats will get you close. I've determined mine through hill repeats. Hurts but worth it. You hit 170 on your run but based on how you described it, it sounds like its higher. Lets assume its 180 for now. You also need your resting heart rate. I'll assume 57 just to lay out the calculation. Your ceiling for easy days is 70% of your max calculated this way = resting + (Max-resting)*.7 = 143 Your lower limit or floor for hard days is 85% of your max calculated = resting + (max-resting)*.85 = 162 I am not terribly strict with either of those two numbers but some people are. You sort of end up with three zones - Easy (Under 143), Moderate (144-161), Hard (over 162). In general, Parker advises avoiding running in the "moderate" zone as it doesn't focus on either aerobic or anaerobic conditioning. With hills, it will be VERY difficult to stay under 143.

dgb2n@yahoo.com