Pilates (Read 739 times)

Nevrgivup

Hey there. I'm coming back from injury due to a groin strain. I'm thinking about adding in mat pilates a few days a week. Does anyone else find that they help with strength and flexibility? I have very tight hip flexors and adductors and was hoping that this would be beneficial to avoid re-injury. 

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Jeffrey

Yes, it should help with strength and flexibility. Best case scenario would be to find an experienced pilates trainer who is also a runner. 

Back when I was in shape, I used to do Pilates every day, and really enjoyed it.  My "core" was hard as a rock.  I was pretty flexible too.

Of course, now, I'm a total load, trying to get back in shape.  But that's what happens when you sit on your butt and don't run.

Jeff

Nevrgivup

Thanks for the replies. I look forward to getting into it. I think its going to be a nice balance for me. 

MrNamtor

No one ever regrets doing pilates.

asdfsdaaas

spam

No one ever regrets doing pilates.

False! I was really regretting it last night when I was at a class for the first time in THREE years. I nearly cried and cursed at the instructor. But hey, it's not her fault I let my core go to crap. 

Anyway, I will probably try to keep going to get my core stronger. I prefer yoga any day, but I know pilates has different benefits.

Nevrgivup: You will find more hip flexor stretching in yoga. Pilates will strengthen the hips, but yoga will stretch (and strengthen) them. Anytime I'm regularly going to yoga, I notice my normal hip and piriformis pain is much less noticable. 

Slice

I got really into ballet barre classes (think pilates+yoga, only use barre for balance) and I'm much stronger and more flexible. I am, however, still injured. I love those classes and I think they are a great complement to running.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

Nevrgivup

False! I was really regretting it last night when I was at a class for the first time in THREE years. I nearly cried and cursed at the instructor. But hey, it's not her fault I let my core go to crap. 

Anyway, I will probably try to keep going to get my core stronger. I prefer yoga any day, but I know pilates has different benefits.

Nevrgivup: You will find more hip flexor stretching in yoga. Pilates will strengthen the hips, but yoga will stretch (and strengthen) them. Anytime I'm regularly going to yoga, I notice my normal hip and piriformis pain is much less noticable. 

Thanks. The good thing about the studio that I'm thinking about going to has both. Smile I will try the yoga probably first to ease into it.

MrNamtor

LOL, i meant regret in the long run. Short run, yeah, i feel you.

Just B.S.

I have been doing Piilates at home for about 10 years. I absolutely love the way it combines

strength moves with flexility and stretching. I am convinced it's one of the reasons I have

been injury free since 2005.

aaaaaar!  splice the mainbrace, landlubbers!  aaaaaar!

avast!  shiver me timbers!  pieces of eight!  aaaaaar!

yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum!  aaaaaar!

...ohhhhhh...

...pilates...

...nvm...

*runs away*

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.