Running & Ski Exercises (Read 1219 times)

ud32

Going Skiing in like 6 weeks. Only go once a year for a few days. I need to do some leg exercises/weights to get ready for it. However, I don't want them to hinder my normal running training.

1) Any suggestions on a routine or certain exercises to do ?

2) When do I add these leg strength exercies in to my running schedule ? On days I run ? On my off days ?

My assumption is these should actually also help me be a stronger runner and even stay injury free (or at least less injuries!)

Going Skiing in like 6 weeks. Only go once a year for a few days. I need to do some leg exercises/weights to get ready for it. However, I don't want them to hinder my normal running training.

2) When do I add these leg strength exercies in to my running schedule ? On days I run ? On my off days ?

My assumption is these should actually also help me be a stronger runner and even stay injury free (or at least less injuries!)

I'm on a board now instead of skis, but weight stuff would be pretty much the  same.  On my off running days  I do squats- they really help if you can get a couple  of sessions a week in. ( I've been bad so far this season.)  The quads really take a beating on the slopes- weight training can make a huge difference. Last year I was more consistant and noticed that I could stay out longer on the hill. A whole weight training regime is something you might want to look into.  When you do squats you should work your hamstrings as well so there is no muscle imbalance.

Pray for snow.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Mikey likes skiing; hopefully he will jump in.
        Jill_B

I fly.

I ski once a year also (1st week of March), I don't do any extra leg work before we go, but I do like to do some ab workouts in the weeks prior.  I find that it helps me - but I am NOT much of a risk taker when I ski.  If you are all about jumps and fancy stuff, you might want to do more.

Where are you heading?

Bring it on.

Mikey likes skiing; hopefully he will jump in.

Alpine skiing and running are totally incompatible.  Skiing exercises are not added to a running schedule, they only interfere with one.  Enjoy your once a year ski trip and don't for a minute kid yourself into thinking it will in any way benefit your running.

Have fun!

Runners run

Im going to Park City in early January.  I plan on working in a bunch of sessions of lunges and squats between now and then.  I like lunges more than squats.

Ill do static stuff like wall-sits, and lowering a squat halfway and holding for a few minutes too.   Also, I found that doing high repetitions of rows and pulldowns on those nautilus machines really helps keeping the arms from getting sore when pushing yourself around with your poles on the flats. 

I dont ever get faster from training for a ski trip. =)

Have fun skiing!  

ud32

Where are you heading?

No fanyc jumps and such for me -  longer beginner slopes and easier intermediate are enough. Colorado is the destination. Looking forward to it - but my legs were spent early last year and I want to avoid that.

ud32

OK - I can live with the ski trip not making me a better runner runner   . Goal now is to get the legs strong enough to handle a couple days on the slopes. Sounds like squats and lunges are preferred. I assume this is done with weights (barbells or dumbells) and not just bodyweight.

Any good routines let me know otherwise I will mix a few in. Thanks

We go to Breckenridge every Christmas.  I'm the worst skier; my wife has been skiing since she's 4; my daughter started skiing (if you can call that...) when she was 2!  I did my first skiing when I was 29.  So naturally, I take the most beating.  I actually look at skiing as a part of strengthening training--all that burning sensation you feel in you thighs, hard to imaging it's not doing anything!  But if you look at it the other way around--if you want to run and do some running exercises to help your skiing, and yet, you don't want to sacrifice your running time (sure, you want lots of money but you don't want to work hard, and yet, you don't want to share any of that with others but you still want others to like you and respect you...  We really can't wiin everything, can we?)...  I guess the best thing I can think of is downhill striding exercise where you'd be doing lots of eccentric resistance work on your quads. 

Find a longish GENTLE downhill (well, it can be uphill depending on which direction you go...) or 400m or more if possible.  After adequate warm-up, run down the hill at fairly good speed but not to the extent that you experience breathlessness.  You should feel lots of pounding in your quads and that's what you want.  Jog about at the bottom till you recover and now you go up the hill with exaggerated high knee action.  Not running fast, but try to push the ground hard with good knee lift.  This would further strengthen your quads.  This way, you wouldn't waste your running time at all; you'll be continuously running and doing all the necessary exercises, as a matter of fact, to run faster. 

Ryan:

If I were you, instead of wall sit or any static exercises, I'd try to do lunge jump.  You start with half-way down lunge position and jump straight up in the air and switch your legs and land in the same half-way down lunge position.  You do that 20 times or so, 3~5 sets, you'll feel it in your crotch the next day!  Great exercise though.  It also helps run faster--it's actually a sprinter's exercise.  I think active resistance exercises are always better for runners than static resistance exercises unless I've missed out some recent research on that.

So do you ski at Lutsen or Afton?  Or what's that place down south on 35...???

SMART Approach

OK - I can live with the ski trip not making me a better runner runner   . Goal now is to get the legs strong enough to handle a couple days on the slopes. Sounds like squats and lunges are preferred. I assume this is done with weights (barbells or dumbells) and not just bodyweight.

Any good routines let me know otherwise I will mix a few in. Thanks

Squats and lunges are great. I think wall sits would be fine but I would also throw in jump squats to try to be as specific as possible. This will simulate force on quads when going over hills and bumps on the slope. You need a bit of this plyometric component.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

There's a thread over on running 101- 200 squats and running-you might want to read through that.  You do squats with weights- barbells on your shoulders. (Or you could hold dumbells in youyr hands.)You can do various % of your body weight. On the other thread most folks seem to prefer deep squats, I was told by physical therapist shallow were safer, so that's what I do with about 50% of my body weight- if I did deeper ones I would have to cut the weight down.

So do you ski at Lutsen or Afton?  Or what's that place down south on 35...???

Thanks for the advice on lunge jumps, I should try them. 

I used to be a NSP Ski patroller at Afton Alps, until I moved to Pasadena.  Actually, I used to wishbone hike up some of the hills at Afton for a leg workout, it would sure be a leg burner! Took me about 20 minutes to hike up a hill.

Buck Hill is in Burnsville, south on 35. 

Kenotic Runner

I run maybe 250 days a year, ski maybe 25.

Perhaps at advanced levels the two are "totally incompatible," but I think for most of us, coachpotato vs. exercise are what are "totally incompatible."

That said, I've gotten in two days so far this year after months and months of nothing but running, hiking, and walking.  I wish I'd done some squats, leg extensions, and maybe some arm rows.