cushion - support insoles ... (Read 988 times)

Otium cum dignitate

... anyone have some they'd be comfortable recommending?  I've used the Road Runner Sport 'molded to my feet' ones for the last 8 months and have ended up with hip and knee pain.  I supinate and have low arches, so I need some support, but without at least a little cushioning, my hip joints have a tendency to explode on long runs.  Anyone have something they've had success with they'd be willing to suggest? 

Thanks.

I glanced at your log and it looks like your weekly volume might be the root cause of the hip/knee pain rather than your shoes.  I'm seeing ~20 miles one week and >40 the next and I'm seeing 20 mile long runs in weeks with ~40 total miles.  I'd suggest building a bit more of a base before jumping into those longer runs and maybe ramp your long run distance up a bit slower.  Even if you can physically complete the run, a 20 mile run can put a lot of stress on your body if you're not ready for it no matter what shoes are on your feet.

Otium cum dignitate

Last marathon training included 40-50 miles weeks and I felt exhausted all the time.  This time around I used a SmartCoach plan from Runner's World that kept me between 30-40.  I suppose it could have been the training, but I've run other marathons with this MPW and been OK.  Either way, I need new insoles and would like to get something effective at less than custom orthotics price.

SMART Approach

If you want to buck up a bit, these are incredible! You want the running or all sport orthotics. I have each with added cushion in heel. The all sport has added cushion in forefoot. I use those in all my shoes - dress, casual, running........AND, they are light!

http://www.footdynamics.com/

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Otium cum dignitate

Thanks for he suggestion, but I'm really hoping for something that costs considerably less than these.  I've never tried Superfeet insoles, but have read some good things about them, maybe I'll take a swing at the green ones ...

King of PhotoShop

I use the "Sof soles" inserts I bought from a running store and they work so well I now use them in all my shoes.  I forget how much I paid, maybe 30 bucks. I love them.  Spareribs

Otium cum dignitate

Thanks.  The price sounds right and I've seen them at the local EMS.  Do you need them for cushioning and support?  

I love Superfeet.  I use the Orange ones.  The difference between them and the green is extra padding up front.

Don't know if you're a guy or a girl.  Orange is for guys, purple for the ladies.

Beware, the first few runs they will feel WEIRD.  Maybe even hurt a little.  It will feel like the arch is more forward than where you think it should be.

But, after a few runs, you won't notice them at all.  Unless you take them out, then you'll feel uncomfortable.

Jeff

Maybe even hurt a little.  It will feel like the arch is more forward than where you think it should be.

But, after a few runs, you won't notice them at all.  Unless you take them out, then you'll feel uncomfortable.

Wow this is the first time I've heard anyone say this. I bought some of these a few years ago and quickly gave up on them because this was exactly what I felt...arch too far forward. Maybe I'll pull them outmand give them another shot.
                      Wow this is the first time I've heard anyone say this. I bought some of these a few years ago and quickly gave up on them because this was exactly what I felt...arch too far forward. Maybe I'll pull them out and give them another shot.
                        Wow this is the first time I've heard anyone say this. I bought some of these a few years ago and quickly gave up on them because this was exactly what I felt...arch too far forward. Maybe I'll pull them outmand give them another shot.

They're not for everyone though.  Give them a week.  If it's not working after that, then I would forget about them.

For me, though, I really really like them.  I can tell when the shoes I have don't have them in.

And, also, remember to take out the insoles that came with the shoes originally.

Jeff

Or you could just try on enough shoes until you get one that fits correctly as-is. They make all types of shoes with all types of insoles, cushions, and lasts these days. You don't need to be Dr. Frankenstein with your shoes if you have the patience and resources to check out everything on the market. This is perhaps unrealistic to you. I'm just obsessed with shoes. Oh, no, I've said too much. Run away!

Otium cum dignitate

Running today with Green Superfeet felt pretty good on my monumentally messed up feet.  I'll try a bit farther on Friday and again on Sunday before I decide they well and truly fit the bill, but feel optimistic.  Many thanks to those that suggested them.