The mid-week medium long run (Read 2996 times)

A Saucy Wench

cg  - I was a night owl all the way.  Mornings became the routine because they had to be.  I hope you have a basement or a garage for the TM.  I have one thinking they would save my icy day runs, only to realize that I can not use it when anyone is trying to sleep.  There are no basements here.  

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

mikeymike

For me the choice was become a morning person or don't be a runner.

Runners run

About doubles... When I jumped up to the 18/85+ plan I ran my doubles during lunch at work. Since most of the doubles are 4-6 miles, you should be able to complete them in a lunch hour.

I have found the mid-week long run has helped get better at longer distances. But it does suck royally. Early morning 15 milers mid-week usually mean getting up @ 5am. In the middle of winter this sucks... Pfitz doesn't always go easy-MLR-easy. A lot of times the day before the MLR you are running either an LT run or a vo2max intervals. So the MLR is a semi-long run on Tired legs also.

Even for me I run the 15 milers in ~1:55-1:57. I start off really slow then by mile 9-10 I'll be at MP + 15% and by the end MP+10%.... Maybe a goal should be that your average pace for the run should be MP+15%...

These might be the toughest runs in the Pfitz plans, since they aren't your weekend long runs, but are long enough to be "annoying". Plus they are mid-week, so you usually have to get up early if you are a morning runner. Plus half of them usually come after a tough LT/vo2Max run...

In the beginning of the high mileage plans you usually have two of these a week.... Especially the 18 week plans, you'll be doing 14-12, 15-13, 15-14 Wed then Fri.... Fun, fun, fun, but it works...

Intentionally Blank

Do you have the book? I think the recipe for the medium (and long) runs is  based on your target marathon pace:

- first 1/3 is warmup (slower than what comes next)

- next 1/3 is around 20% slower than your target marathon pace

- last 1/3 is around 10% slower than your target marathon pace.

whether that  takes you more or less than 2 hours will depend what your target marathon pace is.

In my case, to target my BQ time of 3:45, (8:37 pace) I would supposedly run this on a 12 mile run:

4 miles at 10:45 or slower

4 miles at 10:20 (MP + 20%)

4 miles at 9:29 (MP + 10%)

That's just over 2 hours, unless I screwed up the math or my understanding of the book.

This makes sense, but would feel incredibly slow to me in the first 8 miles.  Yikes.  I have the book.  I need to actually read it. heh.

ymmv

This makes sense, but would feel incredibly slow to me in the first 8 miles.  Yikes.  I have the book.  I need to actually read it. heh.

If your first and only marathon was 3:47, then perhaps you'd use a plan like this to prepare for a much faster goal.

Intentionally Blank

Thanks ymmv.  It was my second.  My first was a walk-a-thon 4:25 in debilitating heat seven months before.

I've been futzing around doing not much since January.    I need to buckle down.  Not sure if I am in as good of shape right now as I was last year.

mikeymike

I think the slower you are the less useful formulas such as MP + x % are.  That's not a knock, it's just simple math.

I wouldn't worry too much about the exact pace and what percent of your MP it is.  And really do people actually do the math and figure out what MP+10% and MP+20% is?  I usually just run by effort.  And so I'd just take the 12 miler and do:

4 mi easy

4 mi medium

4 mi tempo-ish.

...whatever that turns into.

Training, it turns out, is not a laser-guided, surgical strike.  It's a blunt instrument.

Runners run

Intentionally Blank

Tempo-ish being faster than marathon pace?

One of my favorite things about running is that I can lace up and hit the street without putting too much thought into it.

L Train

Training, it turns out, is not a laser-guided, surgical strike.  It's a blunt instrument.

This is a good mental picture for me.  When I'm feeling crappy I'm telling myself to do more of what makes me feel crappy so that I will eventually feel even crappier.  I doesn't matter whether it's tempo, or easy, or hills, or intervals or whatever.  Then I'm imagining that somewhere at the end of all the crappiness there will be 3 hours and 20 minutes of the worst crap of all followed by a day or two of bliss.  Then repeat, only with worse crappiness so that the 3 hours and 20 minutes becomes a few minutes less. 

Writing all that down really makes me wonder what the hell I am doing. 

mikeymike

Tempo-ish being faster than marathon pace?

Sometimes, sure.  Sometimes quite a bit faster than marathon pace.  Depends on the day, really.

Runners run

mikeymike

This is a good mental picture for me.  When I'm feeling crappy I'm telling myself to do more of what makes me feel crappy so that I will eventually feel even crappier.  I doesn't matter whether it's tempo, or easy, or hills, or intervals or whatever.  Then I'm imagining that somewhere at the end of all the crappiness there will be 3 hours and 20 minutes of the worst crap of all followed by a day or two of bliss.  Then repeat, only with worse crappiness so that the 3 hours and 20 minutes becomes a few minutes less. 

What in the hell are you talking about?

Runners run

L Train

What in the hell are you talking about?

My brain is a blunt instrument.

Why is it sideways?

My brain is a blunt instrument.

Heh. If you're feeling crappy all the time, you're doing it wrong.

ahhh, there it is. this makes total sense. i practice the art of self manipulation, as well as others and play games to get the crap to at least smell a little nicer.  it really gets good if someone gets sucked in. i am green here so grain of salt applies.

it is also my experience that "normal" people bore me. sorry for intruding.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

L Train

it is also my experience that "normal" people bore me. 

Heh.