Heel pain (Read 646 times)

Giants Fan

Ok, issue for me that keeps cropping up and I can't seem to figure out. My right heel hurts. Not first thing in the morning, mostly as day goes on. If I have a day where I'm not on my feet much, it might not hurt at all, or just a little. On other days it hurts so bad I can hardly walk. Tried icing, stretching, and ibuprofen (Alieve). I've switched shoes because I was told my feet pronate in (can't remember the correct term). But, the pain has been consistent no matter what shoes I'm in. Any suggestions? I'm hoping someone has had something similar and can give me a suggestion. Running doesn't seem to make it worse, pretty much stays consistent throughout the day. Help. BTW have been to podiatrist numerous times, thought I had PF, sent me in for CAT scan, also nerve test (very painful) and nothing.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

What shoes are you wearing day to day? Sometimes it isn't your running shoes; it's the going to work and all the other stuff shoes.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

My heel pain was diagnosed as Peroneal Tendonitis. It was an acute soft tissue injury from running a 5K too fast for my new runner legs. Pain was excruciating in the beginning, had to go on a low dose steroid to extinguish the inflamation. 6 weeks off from running. Started back very slow, and now running good again, although my heel pain is still there just in a duller form. I find it gets irritated when I do my long run, but does not bother me too terribly otherwise. try not going barefoot around the house too. always have supportive footwear on whenever possible, this will help. Good Luck! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Giants Fan

I only wear tennis shoes all day long with orthotics in them. I never go barefoot anymore or wear cute sandals and flip flops... Today I went out and got heel cups and put those in and ran with one in for the first time. Seemed to help. Just don't understand it...I keep wondering if its absence of fat pad in my heel? Anyone familiar with this?

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

H RIMZ

Ok, issue for me that keeps cropping up and I can't seem to figure out. My right heel hurts. Not first thing in the morning, mostly as day goes on. If I have a day where I'm not on my feet much, it might not hurt at all, or just a little. On other days it hurts so bad I can hardly walk. Tried icing, stretching, and ibuprofen (Alieve). I've switched shoes because I was told my feet pronate in (can't remember the correct term). But, the pain has been consistent no matter what shoes I'm in. Any suggestions? I'm hoping someone has had something similar and can give me a suggestion. Running doesn't seem to make it worse, pretty much stays consistent throughout the day. Help. BTW have been to podiatrist numerous times, thought I had PF, sent me in for CAT scan, also nerve test (very painful) and nothing.
            This could be chronic achilles tendonitis. although im only basing it on your pain in the heel in the moring. here are a few symptoms Pain and stiffness in the Achilles tendon especially in the morning. This pain may be described as diffuse along the tendon rather than specific. There may nodules or lumps in the achilles tendon, particularly 2cm above the heel. Pain in the tendon when walking especially up hill or up stairs. Chronic tendonotis differs from acute tendinitis in that it is more of a long term persistent problem.

mile- 4:37

2 mile 10:05 (Training run)

5 km-16:38 -5:22 11/15/2009

Jamie PT

Hi. I'm a physical therapist who treats a lot of runners. Sounds like a variant of plantar fasciitis. Won't always show up on x-ray, MRI, etc because it is a muscular "strain". That eludes most testing. Stretch out your gastroc, soleus, and great toe into extension (VERY IMPORTANT!!) (google for pics) all day, every day without limits. Try 30 second holds, and stretch just to the point of feeling the stretch - don't kill your calves! Also, consider a night splint like the Strassburg Sock (http://www.thesock.com). About 80% of people within 3 months in a recent study got rid of their heel pain / plantar fasciitis just by stretching gastroc, soleus and great toe. Single leg heel raises can't hurt to strengthen the calf as well. Hope this helps. Good luck!