Speaker for running? (Read 162 times)

Not dead. Yet.

I was out on the trails this morning  with one headphone in, trying to enjoy both my music and the atmosphere at the same time.  Then I got to thinking that a small speaker playing music out loud might be better for the moment.  I guess it would blend a little better.  Does anybody run with a speaker instead of headphones?  If so, what do you use?

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

Feeling the growl again

If I were fortunate enough to get to enjoy a nice trail run, and some fool came along blasting a speaker, I'd probably hip-check them into a tree.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Not dead. Yet.

Hip check me.  I dare you.  Smile

I'm not gonna blast it.  Anyways, no one was out there today.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

If I were fortunate enough to get to enjoy a nice trail run, and some fool came along blasting a speaker, I'd probably hip-check them into a tree.

I am not a trail runner, but I would probably want to do the same thing if in the same situation.....

TRUST THE PROCESS

TJoseph

I am sitting in my hotel room and someone is blasting their music next door at the beach/park loud enough for it to come through my closed balcony doors and still seem too loud inside my room.  I guess they think everyone within a one mile radius has the same taste in music as they do.

Not dead. Yet.

I hear people with music on the trails all the time, and as I'm passing them I generally hear it for less than ten seconds.  Quit trying to make this out as noise pollution.  It's not.

Imminent Catastrophe

Don't do that. It's obnoxious, rude and inconsiderate. There was a girl doing that at Ice Age 50 last year and the runners around her had to change their pace to get away from her blasting heavy metal, this in early miles of a 50-miler. That doesn't belong on the trails. Yes, it actually IS about noise pollution.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Feeling the growl again

I hear people with music on the trails all the time, and as I'm passing them I generally hear it for less than ten seconds.  Quit trying to make this out as noise pollution.  It's not.

apparently not everyone agrees that it would not be noise pollution.

Hearing someone's headphones, and running an open speaker, are two different things.

I am not sure I would hip check you, I am a nice person. but the thought would cross my mind and be psychologically gratifying. Spare me on the "just try it" chest fluffing, it is pretty obvious this was a get off my lawn type comment and you don't know me, it is silly to start chest thumping on how it would result.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

an amazing likeness

It isn't uncommon to cross paths with runners who are playing music through the speakers in their smartphone.  Not that I enjoy that. Regardless of my opinion, some of the smartphones claim to have good built-in sound, so you could go that way -- ie the internal speakers in the device you're lugging around whilst running.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Not dead. Yet.

How long do you run next to someone, unless you stop to chat?  If you are passing them from behind it might be a few seconds that you are in range of a speaker.  If you are going opposite directions it might be a second or two.  I bet thats not even long enough for you to know what song or even type of music the person is playing.

Spare me on the "just try it" chest fluffing, it is pretty obvious this was a get off my lawn type comment and you don't know me, it is silly to start chest thumping on how it would result.

You run too fast to be of any threat to me.  I'm pretty sure how it would result.

Feeling the growl again

How long do you run next to someone, unless you stop to chat?  

I've been within feet of the same person for many miles in longer races, if our ability is similar.  If they were playing music loud enough for me to hear it would be incredibly irritating.

If you are alone, knock yourself out, I don't get it but it's your prerogative.  If you are not, hopefully you would be considerate of others and turn it off.

Not dead. Yet.

Love it!  If you can run 10 miles with that thing on your shoulder, then you are allowed to play your music as loud as you want.

It isn't uncommon to cross paths with runners who are playing music through the speakers in their smartphone.  Not that I enjoy that. Regardless of my opinion, some of the smartphones claim to have good built-in sound, so you could go that way -- ie the internal speakers in the device you're lugging around whilst running.

Not dead. Yet.

Nobody seems to mind this guy who skates around Venice beach with his guitar humming out of a Pignose for everyone around to hear.

How is trail running any different?!

Harry Perry

Feeling the growl again

Nobody seems to mind this guy who skates around Venice beach with his guitar humming out of a Pignose for everyone around to hear.

How is trail running any different?!

If you have to ask...  Roll eyes

But by all means, don't let my posts distract you from your self-centerdness.

No Talent Drips

Dei Gratia