homemade energy bars (Read 1073 times)

Lisa3.1

Apple leathers are easy - you could go to all the trouble of making your own apple sauce (recommended) but buying jars of it in the store works fine. I make my own during apple season but just use store bought once I run out. Try not to make/buy stuff that is too watery if you can. At a minimum, I'll usually dump a bunch of cinnamon into the jar and mix it in good with a knife before spreading it out on the platters; I've found that it doesn't really bake in very well when you just put it on the top and dehydrate. You can also mix the apple sauce with pureed strawberries or blueberries or other fruits if you want. Just spread it on the platters in the dehydrator, let it run for 8-12 hours at around 135°-140° (although it tasted fine when I made it at the same time as the jerky and cooked it at 155° this last time...) If you don't have a dehydrator, then you can use aluminum foil and just leave your oven door cracked, but it's probably cheaper to just buy a dehydrator if you are going to make this more than once. As for jerky, here's my general recipe: http://news.runtowin.com/2005/06/24/20060624_jerky.html I rarely actually measure anything; I just guestimate how much will taste good. Heheh.
    That sounds sooo Good. I will try that also. Thanks.
    GP160

We made the ones from Good Eats last summer. They were awful.... Suck it up and buy a Cliff bar Wink
      Ironman Louisville 8-30-09
        Brendan Brazier, a very accompished vegan Ironman, has a book "The Thrive Diet". He has some energy bar recipies along with other lots of other great ideas for pumping up your training diet with whole foods.
        Goals: Marathon: break 3:40 Half marathon: break 1:42 10K: break 45:00 8 K: break 37:30
          Rachael Ray had Robin McGraw on her show and she made these energy bars......... I haven't tried them but they looked good! Robin McGraw's Family Snack Ingredients Non-stick cooking spray or melted butter, as needed for pan 3 cups large marshmallows 3/4 cup nut butter, such as cashew, almond, peanut or hazelnut 1 10 to 12-ounce box brown rice cereal 1/2 cup dried cranberries 2/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted 2/3 cup chopped cashews, toasted Preparation Lightly coat the bottom and sides of a medium baking sheet with the nonstick cooking spray or melted butter. In a microwave-safe bowl, zap the marshmallows and nut butter, stirring after 1 minute, until melted, about 2 minutes. Add the brown rice cereal, cranberries, pecans and cashews to the melted marshmallow mixture and stir gently to combine – be careful not to crush up the bits of cereal too much. Either wet your hands or spray them lightly with the nonstick cooking spray and turn the cereal marshmallow mixture out onto the greased baking sheet. Press it into the pan using your slick hands so that it's evenly distributed. Set the pan aside and let the bars set up, about 30 minutes. Once set, cut them into squares and serve.
          I made these. They didn't turn out as bars, though. I think where I messed up was, I hadn't toasted the nuts bfore making the peanut butter/marshmallow mix. So, when I tried to mix everything togehter, the rice cereal didn't want to cooperate with the peanut butter marshmallow mix, which had begun to harden/stick while I was toasting the nuts.. So I added a tiny bit (1/4) of melted butter. The stuff is really good though....we crumble it up and put it on sugar free vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.
          Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."
            I make my own Peanut Butter Bars that are a good source of carbs and protein and moderate in calories/fat. 1/4 cup natural peanut butter-crunchy (only ingredient on jar should be "peanuts") 1/4 cup honey 1 /12 cup rolled oats 1/3 cup golden raisins (because I hate the darker ones-use what you like) 1 TBSP stoneground whole-wheat flour mix PB and honey in saucepan on low heat and heat very gently until melted (5 minutes or so) add all other ingredients and stir until thoroughly mixed, should be crumbly put mixture in 6x9 baking pan (really press it down flat, back of wooden spoon helps) bake for 15 minutes or so at 375 degrees Let them cool completely before cutting makes 8 bars-210 calories, 6g fat, 6g protein and 31g carbs. I usually eat 2 at a time though for sufficient calories if they are all I am eating (for breakfast or a snack). Not sure if this is any cheaper than just buying store bought ones though, but they sure are tastier!