Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

Interesting. My commute is going from ~7 minutes to ~30 minutes next week and I've been wondering if I should do something to make my car a little more comfortable.   I hate sitting.   Which one did you get?

Ortho appt tomorrow where I am 101% sure he's going to tell me I have a torn labrum in the other hip.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QHKCWE4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I drive A LOT. I put anywhere from 50-150 miles in a day driving around the county to see patients, plus sitting and charting in the car. I'm hoping it makes a huge difference. I can already tell it's helping. Here's to hoping it sticks.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

Prince of Fatness

I use the Sacrowedgy both in the car and at work,  It really helps. I also have a cushion in the car.

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

Ortho appt tomorrow where I am 101% sure he's going to tell me I have a torn labrum in the other hip.

Confirmed.  I hate always being right.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Crap.  I'm sorry, Oski. 

Running is dumb.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Ugh, I'm sorry. Sad

Hip Redux

I've decided to hold off with surgery this time.   It's not holding me back too much yet and I just can't imagine going through the rehab again.  Heck, my op hip still hurts!  I'm hoping I can make it into 2016, maybe next fall and rehab over the winter or something.

My surgeon did diminish the hope that this surgery would prevent or delay a hip replacement - he was hopeful last year, this year he said recent studies are showing no real correlation between surgery and hip preservation.   Another reason I'm not jumping into surgery until the pain is more significant.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

My surgeon did diminish the hope that this surgery would prevent or delay a hip replacement - he was hopeful last year, this year he said recent studies are showing no real correlation between surgery and hip preservation.

Huh, that's really interesting.  And not exactly good news for all us, eh?

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Huh, that's really interesting.  And not exactly good news for all us, eh?

Yeah.  He said to do the surgery to minimize pain, because that's a good bet.  The rest?  Lots of unknowns.

cpresson

Well, that sucks Sad

My good hip (which has FAI and a probable small tear on the MRA in Feb) is slightly symptomatic, and I think I'm going to follow the same route. Just ignore the pain until it becomes unbearable. Meanwhile, I can hopefully start running enough to pass a PT test for the Army...

cpresson

How is everyone doing?

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

My hip has felt okay, but now I have a tender area on my hamstring, on the op side. WTF? It's somewhat swollen and tender, but I can't feel it unless I poke at it. Doesn't affect my gait or anything.

Hip Redux

Swollen?  Weird!

Things are ok - running a little, biking a little, keeping up with weights and PT.... and both hips are equally annoying but so long as I don't over do it, it's all manageable.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I guess I haven't provided an update in a while!  1.5 years post-op and I never even notice my operated hip in daily situations.

I played my first game of soccer in years the other day and it held up quite well with only a little ache.  It does get achey from time to time if I have a day of really heavy activity or if I go for a long run (which I haven't been able to do at all due to foot issues.)  Overall I'm super happy with the outcome.  Hang in there people who are healing -- it really does take over a year to totally heal.  And while you may never return to your old normal, the new normal isn't so bad either.

Running is dumb.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I guess I haven't provided an update in a while!  1.5 years post-op and I never even notice my operated hip in daily situations.

I played my first game of soccer in years the other day and it held up quite well with only a little ache.  It does get achey from time to time if I have a day of really heavy activity or if I go for a long run (which I haven't been able to do at all due to foot issues.)  Overall I'm super happy with the outcome.  Hang in there people who are healing -- it really does take over a year to totally heal.  And while you may never return to your old normal, the new normal isn't so bad either.

Are you still doing any strengthening exercises? Just curious.