CMM Race Report (Read 763 times)

Dude, you really progressed... congrats! Can you give us a report on your recoveries over the years at these CMM events? GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MAVS!

Vim

JakeKnight

BTW Jake, have you seen this? http://www.gorillas.org/GreatGorillaRun/ I thought you would like that.
      Classic. Too bad the race is in London. Looks like fun. Anybody see the gorilla at the CMM this year? There was a guy in the full suit running the half last year but I didn't see him Saturday. Probably died of a heatstroke. So the Maniacs - they count both marathons and ultras for qualifications, right? I think I'd like to get involved, and if I don't qualify sooner, I'm seriously thinking about doing the CMM and then the Strolling Jim 40 next year - that'd get me in right?
      Can you give us a report on your recoveries over the years at these CMM events?
      Sure, I'll go into it a bit if I ever actually write a race report, but the short version is that last year I was crippled for a week, and then ran 15-20 mile weeks for a few months after. Not to mention that right after last year, I literally walked 50 feet past the finish line and just sat down. Then I got up long enough to walk another hundred yards, get my chip clipped off, and then sit down again. For an hour. Then the back spasms started. I loved that part. It was almost as fun as the black pee which came later. Also a joy. This year I walked out easily, smiling the whole way, didn't even sit until I found my crew. I've already run twice since, and if it weren't for the blisters, I'm not sure I'd even be able to tell I ran a marathon. Legs feel fine. It's taking discipline not to shoot back to 50 miles a week. I had to force myself to be slow this morning. All in all, a very, very nice change. By the way, I'm now convinced that's the whole key: mileage. Lots of miles, mostly easy.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Imminent Catastrophe

So the Maniacs - they count both marathons and ultras for qualifications, right? I think I'd like to get involved, and if I don't qualify sooner, I'm seriously thinking about doing the CMM and then the Strolling Jim 40 next year - that'd get me in right? By the way, I'm now convinced that's the whole key: mileage. Lots of miles, mostly easy.
        Yep, a marathon counts the same as the Badwater 135. As long as they're within 16 days (three weekends) they count. Amen to the idea that lots of miles, mostly easy are the key. BTW it seems that there is a Great Gorilla Run in San Francisco on June 10. Short notice, but here it is: http://www.gorillas.org/sanfran

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

JakeKnight

Yep, a marathon counts the same as the Badwater 135. As long as they're within 16 days (three weekends) they count. Amen to the idea that lots of miles, mostly easy are the key. BTW it seems that there is a Great Gorilla Run in San Francisco on June 10. Short notice, but here it is: http://www.gorillas.org/sanfran
          Holy kee-rap - did you see the entry fee? And that's in pounds sterling, not dollars. Ouch. Do they at least get to keep the monkey suit?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Do they at least get to keep the monkey suit?
            It depends on if you do the high dive off the Golden Gate or not.

Vim