Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

CatherineS

All too familiar groin pain in the good hip today running.  So I guess I need to call the surgeon tomorrow and see what he wants to do.

Oski - I'm dealing with the same thing. I first started feeling pain in my right hip about a month and a half before surgery on my left hip. At the time it was actually worse than the left hip! It immediately went away after the surgery, but now that I am starting to run a bit, the pain is starting to pop back up. Not at the level that it was before, though. Hard to tell though, because I am only jogging a little bit. Nothing close to what I was doing before. Time will tell I guess. Let us know what your surgeon says. I go back for my final post-op in about a month and will be asking about it.

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, since my doc diagnosed me with two 1cm tears earlier this year. She recommended PT first to see if that would strengthen the muscle, and since the pain isn't really bad unless I really push myself, I'm not all that keen on surgery unless it's really needed. I'm somewhat lucky in that running slower over shorter distances (< 10K) is still ok, but playing pickup hockey really sucks and I may have to stop that entirely. Which isn't the end of the world since running is my first love, hockey is my cross training.

To questions I have... how bad is a 1cm tear compared to what everyone else has seen?

And... does this ever heal by itself, or is surgery really the only option?

Hip Redux

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, since my doc diagnosed me with two 1cm tears earlier this year. She recommended PT first to see if that would strengthen the muscle, and since the pain isn't really bad unless I really push myself, I'm not all that keen on surgery unless it's really needed. I'm somewhat lucky in that running slower over shorter distances (< 10K) is still ok, but playing pickup hockey really sucks and I may have to stop that entirely. Which isn't the end of the world since running is my first love, hockey is my cross training.

To questions I have... how bad is a 1cm tear compared to what everyone else has seen?

And... does this ever heal by itself, or is surgery really the only option?

It doesn't heal on its own, but certainly people have asymptomatic tears.  When it gets to be symptomatic, most people either deal with the pain via changing their lifestyle or have the surgery.  But trying PT makes a lot of sense as a first step.

As far as the size, it really depends.  I had a tear from 12-4 o'clock but wasn't in super awful pain (was still working out up to surgery, although modified) and others have had more pain from smaller tears.

dallison

registered pw

It has been almost 9 months since surgery. For the most part i am about 95% healed. I still have a touch of inflammation in my hip but each day it gets less and less.

I had my first 20 mile weekend in over a year. I ran 10 on Sat. and then 10.5 on Sunday. I have had a 19:56 5k a few weeks ago. not my fastest either, but i was pretty strong up the 1/2 mile hill.

My mileage is still down, but i'm trying to make sure the inflammation doesn't get out of control. But, this is allowing me to schedule my year for my distance races. I hope to run one or two fulls and a bunch of halves in 2015.

For those that are getting this surgery, i really would recommend pre-hab. It'll help you greatly.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Hip Redux

Good deal, Dallison.  I still get quite achy after runs so I haven't really moved past 3-4 miles every two days or so.  Once I don't feel like a sledge hammer has nailed me in the groin, I'll add some speed/distance I imagine. lol

I did start following an anti-inflammatory diet - and I did notice a difference. I already have some food intolerances, so YMMV.  I followed this one, which is the most strict I came across, but I selected that one because I have some autoimmune issues that I was trying to resolve.  The inflammatory benefit was a bonus.    The weeks I've fallen off the wagon (Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks, specifically) have also been the weeks with the most hip pain, could be coincidence but the test so far as been interesting.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Good to hear from you, Dallison!  Congrats on the 20 mile weekend too.  It's nice knowing how everyone else is doing even as we get farther out.  I will be curious if anyone ever goes back to feeling 100% like they were before things started hurting.

It's been 10 months for me (wow!) and I am doing fairly well.  Unfortunately just as I felt I was getting back into a running rhythm, I developed some tendinitis on the top of my foot and had to take about 3 weeks off to get that to clear up.

I am fairly comfortable running 25-30mpw at the moment with my hip.  I think my plan is to do that until spring time rolls around and then try to very slowly increase my miles as the weather gets nicer.  My hip is typically okay during/after running, although it still does get a little achy from time to time.  I don't know if that will ever go away?  It will definitely be interesting to see how it feels transitioning to 5 days/week and more mileage.

Running is dumb.

dallison

registered pw

That is great that you are keeping that weekly mileage. I would hope that after a year or two that any discomfort would go away. My mileage varies depending on so many things these days but i would like to increase my mileage like you and get in 1500 miles this year.

Good to hear from you, Dallison!  Congrats on the 20 mile weekend too.  It's nice knowing how everyone else is doing even as we get farther out.  I will be curious if anyone ever goes back to feeling 100% like they were before things started hurting.

It's been 10 months for me (wow!) and I am doing fairly well.  Unfortunately just as I felt I was getting back into a running rhythm, I developed some tendinitis on the top of my foot and had to take about 3 weeks off to get that to clear up.

I am fairly comfortable running 25-30mpw at the moment with my hip.  I think my plan is to do that until spring time rolls around and then try to very slowly increase my miles as the weather gets nicer.  My hip is typically okay during/after running, although it still does get a little achy from time to time.  I don't know if that will ever go away?  It will definitely be interesting to see how it feels transitioning to 5 days/week and more mileage.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Hey guys, I have some questions for those who have had a torn hip labrum. I am a little concerned this is what I have. What symptoms did you have? I don't have groin pain, but I have a lot of deep lateral hip pain (originally thought it was trochanteric bursitis but a corticosteroid shot did nothing) that spreads out to the glutes, with some lower back aching pain. My running has been pretty much nonexistent because it makes it worse. Sitting for long periods kills me. Sometimes the pain wakes me up at night if I have been sleeping on my right side (the affected side). The butt pain has been pretty much constant for like two years but it has gotten much worse over the last 8 months or so. After the corticosteroid injection didn't work, the ortho ordered PT, which I just started last week. PT suspects a possible labral tear. He poked around a bit and noted my gluteus medius was mega tight so he massaged (tortured) it to loosen it up. It was okay for a couple of days but today it's aching big time. If there isn't a reduction in pain by the 21st, my doc will order the MRI and we will go from there. I am pretty much at my wits end and want to run desperately.

So I guess my questions are:

What were your symptoms? Did you have the catching/clicking of the hip?

Did you have the MRI or MRA?

How long after surgery were you able to run again?

Thanks!

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Oh, I have had an x-ray of the hip and all bony structures looked good.

Hip Redux

Ugh, I'm sorry you're dealing with this!

Oh, I have had an x-ray of the hip and all bony structures looked good.

^^This isn't that uncommon - my first x-ray also showed that everything was fine (it wasn't).  They need to be read by someone who knows FAI.

To answer your questions -

Symptoms - groin pain.   The photo on the first page though shows how many different ways the pain can manifest though - plenty of folks have something similar to what you describe (which is similar to bursitis).

I had an MRA.

I started running ~5 months.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Ugh, I'm sorry you're dealing with this!

^^This isn't that uncommon - my first x-ray also showed that everything was fine (it wasn't).  They need to be read by someone who knows FAI.

To answer your questions -

Symptoms - groin pain.   The photo on the first page though shows how many different ways the pain can manifest though - plenty of folks have something similar to what you describe (which is similar to bursitis).

I had an MRA.

I started running ~5 months.

I read that about the x-ray. I am really disheartened with facing the possibility of having something that needs to be surgically corrected. Thanks for replying!

Hip Redux

Yeah, I won't lie, it sucks.  BUT my op hip feel great (now ~8 months post-op) - no more groin pain running.  If my other hip would behave, I would be pretty close to 100%.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

What were your symptoms? Did you have the catching/clicking of the hip?

Did you have the MRI or MRA?

How long after surgery were you able to run again?

My pain was mostly concentrated in my groin, but there was also some pain in the butt and on the side.

I had both an MRI and MRA.  Supposedly they can see tears on an MRI, but they didn't on mine.  I would always,always push for an MRA if you think you have a labral tear.

4-5 months.

And definitely yes to what Oski said about your X-Ray needing to be read by someone who knows FAI.  Surgery is definitely not preferred or fun, but it's better than continuing to suffer!  I am very glad I had it done.

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

And after log-stalking Dallison, I see that he ran a double triple over the weekend for a total of 16+ miles!  Damn, dude!

Running is dumb.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Thanks. I am really depressed about the possibility of this diagnosis. On one hand, I want answers. On the other hand, I want to run and pretend like everything is fine. But it's not. It hurts and I am so over the pain.