Hi Everyone! (first post) (Read 431 times)

TurquoiseBlue2

Hi everyone! I'm a "re-tread" (sorry for the pun) to the sport, a newbie again, returning to jogging after a 15-year absence. Found this forum after too much spam and garbage (sad to say) on the RWOL site Sad

After mid-life gaining weight, marriage, and many pounds later, I began a walking program on 1/1/2012 - at same time re-joining Weight Watchers at 248.6 pounds. Ouch! NOT good for a MI survivor! After getting nearly a full-blown diabetes diagnosis in February, that was eliminated with my having lost 84.4 lbs (to date) on WW -- and having incorporated "jog-walking" - with plenty of walking breaks - as a returning 'newbie.'

My BP was 142/98 on 1/10/2012, and was tested in October for 104/76 - will get it tested by MDs this week (they're both amazed; I work at a HUGE medical facility in a call center).

Each morning before work I do 3 miles - plus 1.5 miles during my 30-min lunch break. I did 2 mapped-out (by me) 10K "races" (only me!): one was a Bonne Bell 10K (which I did 30 years ago!) and also in my old neighborhood Thanksgiving morning. Took me 90 minutes -- but, hey, it's a start!!

The message is clear to all those post-menopausal women out there who say that weight loss/fitness is impossible after menopause: "blarney!" :O

(I'm living proof!!) Got about 40-45 lbs remaining to goal weight... and I know I'll reach it (thanks to my jog/walking!!) Smile

I want to live - not merely survive! And I won't give up this dream that keeps me alive!

MI Survivor:  05/12/2008

WW Member (84.2 lbs. lost since 01/01/2012)

#artbydmcbride

Welcome!  And keep up the good work.  We have a 'before' and 'after' picture thread here if you want to get brave sometime and share yours and inspire others.  Smile

Runners run

Maggie & Molly

Congrats on your huge successes so far and welcome to RA!

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
        Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Samurai in Training

welcome and good job.

Great stuff.  And yes, our "Before and After" pictures thread is the ultimate in inspiration so if you feel comfortable posting there, please do!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Tweaky63

I AM running!!!

Welcome! Great job, never give up! You've come to the right place to learn, share and find motivation! Brenda

The mircle isn't that I finished. The mircle is that I had the courage to start.

~ John Bingham

SheCan

TurquoiseBlue, welcome, and what a great story you have to tell.  Congratulations on your weight loss and your success as a runner.  As an older woman, I especially find this inspiring.  Keep up the great work, and I hope to keep seeing you around here.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

bojangles

Love your avatar. It is very relaxing. Welcome to the boards. Keep it up, and take it day by day.