unique running locations (Read 1243 times)

Racing the Planet is about to kick off again - 20 Feb - Vietnam is first up http://www.4deserts.com/beyond/vietnam/ Cant wait Smile
    Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Some love to run in the head some love to take pictures of elephants LOL. Where did you take that picture in your avatar?
      Kruger Park, South Africa. The elephant was a little too close for comfort, but the guide was afraid to start up the van and spook him. Eventually he wandered off. My parents took my two boys and me in November, 2005. Wow, what a beautiful country! My dad has a friend there who leads safaris in his spare time, so he took us on a 4-day one. Definitely one of the neatest things I've ever done. We also visited Cape Town, which is spectacular, with mountains jutting out of the turquoise ocean. My dad is a professor who lectures all over the world (on polymer concrete, which he helped develop in the 60s), and S.A. is my parents' favorite place anywhere. Now I know why! This November, I'm going with them again, but taking DD 10 with us. I guess that will be a unique place to run, huh (I wasn't running in 2005)? It will be challenging to keep up my running schedule. At night during the safari, we will stay in small, fenced-in compounds - not much room to run. I'm wondering if the Garmin will work there - does anyone know?
      kcam

I'm 99% sure your Garmin will work. If you do any cool runs upload them on something like Sporttracks and export them as google earth files. I love checking out unusual runs people did.

Running on the ocean

Yes, I'm very much sure your garmin will work. I agree with campisi. Create a Google Earth file and share it. I definitely would love to see where you ran.

You know when you're running a ultra marathon because the pain actually starts to hurt
          -- Jakob Herrmann
          my running achievements

Imminent Catastrophe

Badwater does actually not end at the top of Whitney but at it's base. One reason is because runners already ran 135 miles and going on top would probably simply be too much.
            The Forest Service will not grant a permit for the race to continue to the top. Some runners continue, unofficially.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yes, I'm very much sure your garmin will work. I agree with campisi. Create a Google Earth file and share it. I definitely would love to see where you ran.
              Thanks, guys! I will do that. Now I have to stop thinking about it, because it's going to be hard to wait 9 months.
                Strangest places for me: - In a game park in South Africa. Coming around a bend in the trail and seeing a giraffe joging toward me (and hearing those big hoofs hitting the ground) was a bit of a surprise. - In a park in the UK (some kind of crown game preserve?) and running into a crowd of about 30 deer, all with their antlers clacking together as they got to their feet to look at me. - Around and around and around the track at the Cairo Athletic club in Cairo, Egypt. Wealthy people would ride their horses around the track at a leisurely pace, so I got used to passing horses while running (and dodging horse poop). That was a good place to run except when they decided to burn piles of garbage next to the track. Dead
                  Nothing too unique. But, my favorite time to run, is when I'm on vacation. There is nothing better than exploring while running. Some of my favorite runs ever have been while on vacation.

- Anya