Tune up races (or fitness evaluations for training paces) (Read 52 times)

Birdwell

Given the choice between

A. 10K with a net elevation loss of 675 feet

B. 5K with a net elevation of 0, but a 210 foot climb (plus equal descent)

(mta: these two race are the same weekend, so doing both is not an option, unfortunately)

Which of these two races would you choose to set your paces for your next training cycle?

Background- I'm currently in base building mode (working towards a 35+ MPW average over the last 6 months or so). Next goal race is a 50K in November. In June I'm going to start a real 18 week training cycle for it (not sure on the exact plan just yet)

I will be using the race result from one of these races to set my training paces (via the Runworks Calculator), but I'm not sure which one would be better to do. I think the 10K, with all that drop, might not give me the best indicator.

all races are at 6,000+ feet elevation (not that it matters)

What say you?

I also have another question (very similar). Looking at a tune up race in late September. The choices are

1. a 1/2 marathon with a net loss of 2800+ feet

2. a 10K with a 675 foot net loss

3. a 10K with 0 net and a 350 foot climb (and equal descent)

4. quit worrying about races so far way

p.s. My log is public. last week was down because of a new baby that joined our home. This week will probably be down a bit as well.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

B, and 3.

Because I think you're right...I wouldn't trust a result that included so much of a net drop.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Just a dude.

This web site: http://www.runworks.com/calculator.html has some calculations for dealing with elevation.

I would put both A&B into your calculator and use those as ranges. So maybe your 5k says your tempo pace should be 6:20, and your 10k says your tempo pace is 6:00, then you can say tempo pace is somewhere between 6:00 and 6:20 depending on how you feel.

As for your tune up in September, I guess it depends on your 50k course. Run the one most like that.

My opinion anyway... /shrug

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

I'd run A and B just to see if I could run both halves of the 10k faster than the 5k.

Runners run

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'd run A and B just to see if I could run both halves of the 10k faster than the 5k.

I think it depends a lot on which you run first, unless you're one of those idiots who races a lot.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Birdwell

I think it depends a lot on which you run first, unless you're one of those idiots who races a lot.

I guess If I was really motivated, the 10K start time is an hour or so before the 5K, and the 10K ends 1/4 mile from the start of the 5K . . . .