Biggest. dork. ever. (Read 878 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm totally LMAO at this one...what complete lack of form! Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The dork in the picture (who really isn't a dork & did great in this race despite some foot & shin problems!) didn't want to post anything about our race here...she did in HM training group, but not here. She decided she didn't want to post our little 10mi race cause there are so many awesome runners on here running marathons, ultras, etc. Sooooo...I'm going to post it. Kirsten/zoom-zoom & I ran the 10mile Grand Rapids Bridge Run on Saturday. The sun was shining, the temp was perfect & the polluted Grand River didn't even stink!! We started out the race together, at the back of the pack, figuring we would feel we accomplished more if we passed lots of people. The race started fast, as most do, and we started a bit faster than our typical pace (we both run like snails), but eventually fell in to a comfortable pace. About mile 2, we discovered a problem with running together: when I run slower, my low back & groin give me hell, when she runs faster, her shins give her hell. So, we decided to split up & do what was comfortable for both of us. Kirsten had some problems with her shins & her R princess foot. Her foot went numb for a while & she was not having a good time. Eventually, the feeling came back & she kicked it in high gear for the last few miles. She came in meeting her goal of under 11min/mile. And she was still smiling at the end!! The picture below is the last 80yds, giving it her last big juice of energy & sprinting to the finish!! I usually take 3.5mi's to loosen up & I hit my groove, but I was kicking in by mile 2. Other than that first couple miles before I picked up my pace, I was pain free & feeling good. I started to slow a bit at mile 7 & then started running with a lady a little faster than me & we started picking people to pass, which got me moving again. I was even able to give a last push at the end to sprint (ok, so my version of sprint is a little slower than the average bear) the last couple hundred yards. My typical tempo pace is around a 10:35 or so & I came in at about a 9:57. I was really geeked!! This was a relatively small race & had a very small snail club! I was surprised at how many faster runners there were. Only a couple over 11:00 pace. But, we weren't the very last finishers, so it's all good! Big grin Depressing moment of the race: it was an out & back course & at mile 3.5, the winner passed me...heading BACK to the finish line!!! Shocked Talk about making you feel slow! I swear, he ran so fast past me that I felt a breeze! He was running sub-5 pace!! Shocked Crap, that isn't running, that is sprinting...that is gazelle running, cheetah running, alien running!! Big grin Overall a good race though. We both met/exceeded our goals. And we had big piles of pancakes to celebrate afterwards...stinky, nasty & sweaty, in our own quiet corner of the restaurant. So, everyone give zoom-zoom a big hand. Short races are good, there just leading us to long races!!
      So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
        Hey guys congrats on doing what we all love to do, run and exceed what we think we can do even when we think we can't. My hats off to both of you and sounds like you enjoyed your run and did it mostly pain free...keep on trucking and get ready for that big HM... Smile
        Wingz

Professional Noob

The dork in the picture (who really isn't a dork & did great in this race despite some foot & shin problems!) didn't want to post anything about our race here...she did in HM training group, but not here. She decided she didn't want to post our little 10mi race cause there are so many awesome runners on here running marathons, ultras, etc. Sooooo...I'm going to post it.
          Hey, Eryn, thanks for posting the race! Smile Congratulations to both of you for your racing efforts! I'm still over 11 minutes on the 5K, so I'm really impressed! Big grin Kirsten - is that your normal form? To say something really obvious... you may have just uncovered the source of your shin and foot problems! Just a thought for you. You're still faster than I am no matter what your running form looks like! Congrats! Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Kirsten - is that your normal form? To say something really obvious... you may have just uncovered the source of your shin and foot problems! Just a thought for you. You're still faster than I am no matter what your running form looks like! Congrats! Janell
            Nah, that's just me sprinting up a bit of an incline...it looks like I'm not bending my knees, doesn't it--but I swear I do, LOL! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

scrumhalfgirl

Congrats to both of you on your race! Loved reading your recap!

-Jess

Congratulations! I think anytime a person finishes a race it's great!
                "It is very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runner. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants to quit." George Sheehan
                  Congrats and well done to both of you! Looks like a great day for running. As for your claim of being the biggest. dork. ever.--well, your way ahead of the runner in the picture behind you. Love the look of determination in the picture! All times are personal, and no matter your time, at least you're out there running. Good on ya.
                  My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

You'll ruin your knees!

...Biggest Dork Ever... ...uhm,...er,... so, is there a prize for that? Cause I think I might have won that a few times! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, never again compare your results to others as if your's are not worthy. We celebrate the triumph of the human spirit and you, girl, define that! Congrats to both of you and keep us posted as to other accomplishments like BDE! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Aww...thanks you guys! You all make me feel just a little less dorky (though I think I may order a print of that race photo and hang it next to my computer just to give me the giggles every time I look at it)! k

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, never again compare your results to others as if your's are not worthy. We celebrate the triumph of the human spirit and you, girl, define that! Lynn B
                        Yeah. What Lynn said. Amen, and amen, and AMEN, and can I get a Hallelujah? Your times only matter in comparison to YOU - and even then, they only matter if improving them is YOUR goal, and even THEN they only matter when you're roughly the same age, running in the same course and in the same weather. Etc, etc. I'm much, MUCH more impressed by the mileage than the time, especially if you're relatively new to it. The guy who got off the couch six months ago and just ran a 10 K impresses me one helluva a lot more than the 2:50 marathoner who just ran a 2:49. And for the record, you may think you're slow, but the simple reality is that 99.9% of the population couldn't move their wide asses in one direction for 10 miles at ANY pace. I know a lot of fast runners. A few sub-3:00 hour marathoners. Want to know who personally inspires me the most? Some lady in my neighborhood I don't even know. She's probably early 40's, had a few kids, and has a backside roughly the size of Texas. As far as I can tell, she has absolutely no actual knowledge of running; and I know she has no running clothes at all - the woman actually runs in BLUE JEANS! Seriously. But I see her out there. Every. Single. Day. She's still too big too run much at a time: I'll bet she runs a 100 yards, then walks a hundred yards. Huffing and puffing every step. But man, she's out there. Every. Single. Frickin'. Day. She'll never run a marathon. A 5 k would probably kill her at this point. But that, to me, is what it's all about. Puts it all in perspective. Inspires the hell out of me. Lynn is right. The time is meaningless, especially compared to somebody else's. All that matters is the effort. ---------------------------------------- By the way, NONE of the above means that you might not still be the biggest ... dork ... ever. I'll take your word on it. Big grin Well, your word plus that lovely lime green hat .... Tight lipped

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

By the way, NONE of the above means that you might not still be the biggest ... dork ... ever. I'll take your word on it. Big grin Well, your word plus that lovely lime green hat .... Tight lipped
                          Oh, I am -- just ask anyone who knows me IRL! Wink Hah, that hat is a bit of an inside joke with some online friends of mine. When I saw it at a sporting goods store I HAD to have it! It actually matches most of backroadrunner's running wardrobe, but pretty much nothing in mine. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Hah, that hat is a bit of an inside joke with some online friends of mine. When I saw it at a sporting goods store I HAD to have it! It actually matches most of backroadrunner's running wardrobe, but pretty much nothing in mine. Big grin k
                            What? Lime green and baby blue don't go together? Surprised There goes my fall wardrobe. Probably only looks dorky in a still shot; when you're running, it's probably nothing but a blue-green blur.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

Wingz

Professional Noob

Amen, and amen, and AMEN, and can I get a Hallelujah?
                              HALLELUJAH!!! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

vicentefrijole

HIP HIP HOORRRAY!!! You guys are awesome! Sounds like one heck of a successful race to me! Big grin